Honest opinion on khabib

What he benefits from is the fact that the top of 155 is pretty devoid of serious grapplers who can offer something to Khabib on the ground. This is why Tony's far and away the biggest challenge he's faced thus far. Everyone else is scared to death of going to the ground with him. Askren had amassed an insane record via the Khabib method, and then he gets choked out the first time he faces a world class submission artist. It's why I think Tony wins this fight.

170 is the opposite of 155, in that the division's loaded with grapplers. Khabib could maybe a champion at 170, but life would be difficult for him with guys like Woodley, Usman, Covington, Maia, Burns, and Chiesa hanging around. It's more likely though that he ends up being just a guy.

Khabib was never "Made out" to be good, like Conor, Ronda or Pettis.

There was never any HYPE around Khabib for two reasons:
1. His moves have ZERO FLASH so he's never had a highlight reel that appealed to the masses.
2. His English is limited so he wasn't able to market himself the way Bisping, Chael or Conor could. Hell or even Tank Abbot.

To the casual fan, Khabib is boring. His style of fighting only appeals to hardcore MMA fans and people who train. So Khabib's reputation is based solely on his body of work - not hype.

It's not your fault you don't understand why people are calling Khabib the GOAT. You, like most people who watch Khabib, don't understand what sets him apart. To be honest I'm a jiujitsu blue belt and wrestled in high school, and I don't understand how he mauls people so dominantly. His technique is beyond me. But since he's been beating people the SAME WAY for years, it's likely that most professional fighters don't even know what Khabib is doing that makes him better.

So Khabib isn't a fancy striker with one punch KO power...nor is he a submission wizard.
So what. His style is actually similar to Matt Hughes and GSP. None of them were fancy strikers, they understood what strikers were trying to do, knew how to avoid damage, close the distance and dominate.

As far as you not knowing who is opponents are, that's not his fault. Google is your friend.

Khabib is like a video game character that has one move that you can spam nonstop and break the game.

Sucks all the point and fun out of the game. Not fun to watch.
Speak for yourself. The way Khabib makes top level fighters look defenseless is highly entertaining in my opinion.

I hate him. Not because he won against Conor. But him as a Dagestani persona. I think it is embarrasing that UFC bows before him, because he won the belt. Worst times for me in the UFC. Miss the Silva and GSP reign times!

Coming from a striking background I find him incredibly boring to watch. He just latches on to people like a wet blanket.
That said, he's a great wrestler. Just.. Very boring to watch.

Khabib is like a video game character that has one move that you can spam nonstop and break the game.

Sucks all the point and fun out of the game. Not fun to watch.

Don't watch then

There's another guy that only has a left hand, fights set ups and appeals to casual wwe fans

You would prefer him bro

Again, like TS you're trying to compare how good you think he is to a caricature of how good you think others think he is. Read the last half of that first sentence again; it's a tad tricky.

What a useless endeavor. Me? I think he's rated exactly where I rate him.

You make good points about who he's fought and how he still hast a lot to prove. We agree on that.

But I suggest you and TS quit worrying about what others think. Especially the 5-10% of people who think he's the BEST EVA GOAT P4P trolls. If indeed 10% of sherdog thinks that, that's still a less % than flat earthers. You may as well be debating flat eathers.

Unless of course that's how you have fun on these boards. If so, go gangbusters. Cheers.

Well there's definitely more people who believe Khabib is amazing and GOAT-tier or close to it, than there are flat-earthers. That analogy doesn't work either because there's legitimacy and logic to at least making the argument for Khabib, while flat earth is retarded and scientifically inaccurate, only followed by delusional people.

All I was trying to do was to provide evidence as to why the Khabib "GOAT" or even "wicked fucking good" (as you stated) narrative should be pushed back a bit. Yes Khabib has looked awesome, lately. He didn't look so awesome against Tibau (he probably lost, or it was draw-level close), or against Michael Johnson, or even against Iaquinta despite the scorecards.

As of right now McGregor has a better resume' for "all-time great" status than Khabib does, despite losing to him. I think that's an undeniable fact. I think DC clearly has a better resume', for example as well...who's not regarded as a top 5-6 all-timer by most. Maybe we don't agree on the particulars here but we agree on the overall, so yeah it's cool...I was just stating my case and push-back.

I'm just being objective: McGregor has luckily/manufactured a path to avoid wrestlers, got dominated by Mendes but did clutch up and finish him, did more amazing things than Khabib has, but lost to Khabib...a wrestler. Where as Khabib doesn't have many great footnotes outside beating McGregor to this point. I do think McGregor at this current time > Khabib in terms of resume'. Also this is a giant tangent so, double cheers back

Again, like TS you're trying to compare how good you think he is to a caricature of how good you think others think he is. Read the last half of that first sentence again; it's a tad tricky.

What a useless endeavor. Me? I think he's rated exactly where I rate him.

You make good points about who he's fought and how he still hast a lot to prove. We agree on that.

But I suggest you and TS quit worrying about what others think. Especially the 5-10% of people who think he's the BEST EVA GOAT P4P trolls. If indeed 10% of sherdog thinks that, that's still a less % than flat earthers. You may as well be debating flat eathers.

Unless of course that's how you have fun on these boards. "OMG, some people think he's worse than I do....Like OMG, some different people think he's better than I do!!!". If so, go gangbusters. Cheers.
Umm i think your comprehension sucks. I already asked do you guys think he’s not as good, and i gave reasons why i think he’s not as good as he’s made out to be. Of course im asking other people their opinion, thats what a fucking thread is, and apparentely, several people agree that his standup isnt great and he’s gotten by by being a “mark coleman” top controller.

i’ll elaborate my opinion on great fighters. Everyone is human. The measure of someones abilities is how well they can deal with trouble. Because you cant always count on being on top. The greatness of anderson, gsp, jones fedor and others imo, they have shown that they can get in bad bad positions and come out on top. Not just always be a front runner. And imo, khabib has yet to show that he can get dropped, or ragdolled then come back to win.

khabib hasnt shown the heart of a champion, he has been showing his talent as a fighter. (With not great stand up to boot). Just my honest opinion.

What he benefits from is the fact that the top of 155 is pretty devoid of serious grapplers who can offer something to Khabib on the ground. This is why Tony's far and away the biggest challenge he's faced thus far. Everyone else is scared to death of going to the ground with him. Askren had amassed an insane record via the Khabib method, and then he gets choked out the first time he faces a world class submission artist. It's why I think Tony wins this fight.

170 is the opposite of 155, in that the division's loaded with grapplers. Khabib could maybe a champion at 170, but life would be difficult for him with guys like Woodley, Usman, Covington, Maia, Burns, and Chiesa hanging around. It's more likely though that he ends up being just a guy.

This goes without saying, but Usman, woodley, colby and maia might be too heavy for khabib.

Chiesa was a 155er that couldnt hack it so he moved up, like cerrone, RDA and pettis. Lots of people left the lw division after seeing what khabib and tony could do.

Maia and burns might be able to submit khabib, but I doubt it. Askren and khabib have two different styles of wrestling. Combat sambo has submissions, folkstyle and freestyle wrestling do not. Maia used to compete at 185 so maybe he'd have a str. Advantage

Bottom line. Hope Khabib losses in a violent fashion. If it is not. Then it is like it should be. I raw against him probably since the RDA fiight. Never liked the guy and his culture. But if he never losses. Then it is like should be. I will not drum my chest and scream how the God is unfear and so on. Probably like Khabib buddies would do.

I think hes an awesome wrestler with good ground and pound that cuts massive ammounts of weight so he can dominate smaller men.
As opposed to someone like Conor, who did the same but didn't even fight contenders lmao.

Well there's definitely more people who believe Khabib is amazing and GOAT-tier or close to it, than there are flat-earthers. That analogy doesn't work either because there's legitimacy and logic to at least making the argument for Khabib, while flat earth is retarded and scientifically inaccurate, only followed by delusional people.

All I was trying to do was to provide evidence as to why the Khabib "GOAT" or even "wicked fucking good" (as you stated) narrative should be pushed back a bit. Yes Khabib has looked awesome, lately. He didn't look so awesome against Tibau (he probably lost, or it was draw-level close), or against Michael Johnson, or even against Iaquinta despite the scorecards.

As of right now McGregor has a better resume' for "all-time great" status than Khabib does, despite losing to him. I think that's an undeniable fact. I think DC clearly has a better resume', for example as well...who's not regarded as a top 5-6 all-timer by most. Maybe we don't agree on the particulars here but we agree on the overall, so yeah it's cool...I was just stating my case and push-back.

I'm just being objective: McGregor has luckily/manufactured a path to avoid wrestlers, got dominated by Mendes but did clutch up and finish him, did more amazing things than Khabib has, but lost to Khabib...a wrestler. Where as Khabib doesn't have many great footnotes outside beating McGregor to this point. I do think McGregor at this current time > Khabib in terms of resume'. Also this is a giant tangent so, double cheers back

Umm i think your comprehension sucks. I already asked do you guys think he’s not as good, and i gave reasons why i think he’s not as good as he’s made out to be. Of course im asking other people their opinion, thats what a fucking thread is, and apparentely, several people agree that his standup isnt great and he’s gotten by by being a “mark coleman” top controller.

i’ll elaborate my opinion on great fighters. Everyone is human. The measure of someones abilities is how well they can deal with trouble. Because you cant always count on being on top. The greatness of anderson, gsp, jones fedor and others imo, they have shown that they can get in bad bad positions and come out on top. Not just always be a front runner. And imo, khabib has yet to show that he can get dropped, or ragdolled then come back to win.

khabib hasnt shown the heart of a champion, he has been showing his talent as a fighter. (With not great stand up to boot). Just my honest opinion.
All my mistake. I should know better. I inserted myself into a P4P GOAT debate. Some enjoy these discussions and I think they're useless, and I should not have inserted myself into what I consider about as useful as a group verbal wank session. So, apologies. Enjoy this discussion, and enjoy the fights tomorrow.

Coming from a striking background I find him incredibly boring to watch. He just latches on to people like a wet blanket.
That said, he's a great wrestler. Just.. Very boring to watch.

Despite Khabib being a wrestler, he's definitely not boring to watch. At least lately.

if you want boring let's go watch Jon Fitch and Jake Shields, better than melatonin

Khabib was never "Made out" to be good, like Conor, Ronda or Pettis.

There was never any HYPE around Khabib for two reasons:
1. His moves have ZERO FLASH so he's never had a highlight reel that appealed to the masses.
2. His English is limited so he wasn't able to market himself the way Bisping, Chael or Conor could. Hell or even Tank Abbot.

To the casual fan, Khabib is boring. His style of fighting only appeals to hardcore MMA fans and people who train. So Khabib's reputation is based solely on his body of work - not hype.

It's not your fault you don't understand why people are calling Khabib the GOAT. You, like most people who watch Khabib, don't understand what sets him apart. To be honest I'm a jiujitsu blue belt and wrestled in high school, and I don't understand how he mauls people so dominantly. His technique is beyond me. But since he's been beating people the SAME WAY for years, it's likely that most professional fighters don't even know what Khabib is doing that makes him better.

So Khabib isn't a fancy striker with one punch KO power...nor is he a submission wizard.
So what. His style is actually similar to Matt Hughes and GSP. None of them were fancy strikers, they understood what strikers were trying to do, knew how to avoid damage, close the distance and dominate.

As far as you not knowing who is opponents are, that's not his fault. Google is your friend.
I really dont think he’s doing anything special. I also wrestled in high school, nearly made it to state. And ive watch mma for many many years, since the tournament days. And he’s just a really powerful grappler. He’s been able to pull it off. But u cant honestly think he’s doing some voodoo shit, because there have been fights where he didnt seem as magical as u think. He’s been able to pull it off. How can people even consider him goat, when he’s fought 3 title fights, meanwhile, he gets compared to goats like jones who is a better striker, beaten more proven competition, for MANY more title fights, name 1 dominant champ that khabib beat., porier lost to korean zombie, michael johnson and conor, but when khabib beats him it makes him goat?

All my mistake. I should know better. I inserted myself into a P4P GOAT debate. Some enjoy these discussions and I think they're useless, and I should not have inserted myself into what I consider about as useful as a group verbal wank session. So, apologies. Enjoy this discussion, and enjoy the fights tomorrow.

Redacted:

Ok

This sounds just like regurgitation of what Jon Jones said earlier and them comparing him to Jones. Your opinions man your opinions.........

Its not a goat conversation. The question was simple. And an honest opinion. That khabib isnt as great as people are already making him out to be. Hell, remember machida era, luke rockhold? Cain? Whenever someone comes along and wins a few with a title, he’s suddenly an all time great.

This sounds just like regurgitation of what Jon Jones said earlier and them comparing him to Jones. Your opinions man your opinions.........
And thats probably 95% of sherdog is opinions. Whats your point. I even said it in the title. My honest opinion, and its not just mines, several people agree. So lets pump the brakes on khabib being so great.

Back