Homeless Man with Criminal History Steals Car, Flees Police, Fights Officers-- Released per CA Law

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
https://local.nixle.com/alert/7954236/
Thursday April 23rd, 2020 :: 10:19 a.m. PDT

Community
SUSPECT CITE/RELEASED AFTER ABANDONING A STOLEN VEHICLE, FLEEING ON FOOT, & FIGHTING WITH OFFICERS
msg_expiration.png

On Wednesday, April 22nd, at approximately 11:19PM, a resident off Pennsylvania Ave. reported his car being stolen and driven off. Responding officers located the vehicle on northbound 880 at Alvarado Niles Blvd. As officers pulled behind the suspect, he exited Alvarado Niles Blvd. and fled from the vehicle which was still in motion. The unoccupied vehicle traveled slowly back towards the southbound 880 on-ramp, down the embankment and ended up back on the freeway. It eventually stopped on the left shoulder when it collided into the center divider. No other vehicles were struck, nor was anyone injured.

Officers quickly caught up to the suspect who had run down the northbound 880 embankment. The suspect fought with officers briefly before being taken into custody. Union City Police and CHP Officers arrived shortly after to assist.

23 year old transient, Jonathan Reyes of Fremont/Union City was arrested for possession of a stolen vehicle, hit and run, and resisting arrest. The vehicle’s ignition was found to be tampered with. Reyes is currently on probation in Alameda County for disturbing the peace. He has prior theft and drug arrests in Alameda County as well as in Arizona. Due to the Judicial Council of California orders, officers were forced to issue Reyes a citation in the field with a future court date in June 2020.

For more information on the Judicial Council of California orders, and the Department's operational response to these directives, please visit:

https://local.nixle.com/alert/7943812/

We’d like to thank the Union City Police Department and CHP for their assistance.
Here's the council order in question:
$0 Statewide Adopted Bail Rule
On Monday, April 6, 2020, the Judicial Council of California temporarily imposed an emergency statewide bail schedule. The schedule sets bail at $0 for specified misdemeanors and felonies, effective Monday, April 13, 2020 and is in effect until 90 days after the California State of Emergency has been lifted. Most misdemeanors, with a few exceptions, and all low-level felonies will now have a $0 bail attached in order to limit the number of arrestees coming into the jails and court system during this pandemic. The only felonies defined as “serious or violent” per Penal Codes 1192.7(c) or 667.5(c) are eligible for bail. Essentially this means, all non-serious or violent offenders will be issued a citation at the scene and provided a court date.
The cop's hands are tied. The Fremont PD sounds pretty pissed at how their hands are tied. As they noted:
Crime Trends
Since the COVID-19 Shelter-in Place was implemented, Fremont’s overall crime reports have decreased, but property crimes have trended upward by approximately 30%. We are seeing spikes in commercial burglaries and auto thefts. Commercial burglary is up 133% from this period of Shelter-in-Place compared to the same period in 2019. We are averaging two per day, whereas last year it was less than one. Most of the victims are businesses and schools. Auto thefts have also risen significantly with an increase of 60% compared to this time last year. We are not seeing any significant increase in our domestic violence reports...

This new bail schedule specifically affects the ability of the department to incarcerate these offenders committing crimes such as commercial burglaries and auto thefts, the very crimes that have skyrocketed during the Shelter-In-Place. Instead of taking these criminals off the streets and stopping them from victimizing our community, officers are forced to write a citation and release them.
<JagsKiddingMe>

Nah. Instead, he'll probably get put up for free indefinitely in some hotel on the state's dime.

Imagine if this junkie hobo was a blond national-class swimmer at Stanford with a rich dad. People might actually care at the absurdity of how the system handles the crime.

Found a GIF of CA government when it comes to dealing with criminals.
pucker-up.gif

Currently living in a shitty, inland, California city. It's insane how many aggressive maniacs and socially unfit people I see all day long.

Sounds about right, if you're homeless here you can get away with pretty much anything now and they will reward you with food, healthcare, and free needles.
What do people expect?

Imagine if this junkie hobo was a blond national-class swimmer at Stanford with a rich dad. People might actually care at the absurdity of how the system handles the crime.

True, the homeless junkie's crime's lasted far longer than a mere twenty seconds of action.

Maybe the cops should get better at their jobs? But naah that's not it; it's librulz fault.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/7954236/

Here's the council order in question:

The cop's hands are tied. The Fremont PD sounds pretty pissed at how their hands are tied. As they noted:

<JagsKiddingMe>

Nah. Instead, he'll probably get put up for free indefinitely in some hotel on the state's dime.

Found a GIF of CA government when it comes to dealing with criminals.
pucker-up.gif

I don’t think these lockdown guidelines only apply to non-Blonde people. I’m not sure why that’s even part of your OP, other than to race bait. I’m sure somebody with blonde hair has also been cited and released after committing a crime during this time.

Personally, I would have a pretty high bar set for the type of crime that would carry a cite & release during this time. I don’t think anybody is any safer with them running around the streets. But I also don’t know the current state of your local prisons.

Maybe the cops should get better at their jobs? But naah that's not it; it's librulz fault.

What could the cops have done more effectively here? They caught the guy, they just couldn't hold him because of Covid orders.

Last edited:
To be fair this is what happens in GTA

Disgusting to see that city council cares more about offenders than victims.

Once they have adopted Sharia Law maybe they can simply remove his right hand.

What could the cops have done more effectively here? They caught the guy, they just couldn't hold him because of Covid orders.
Don't you know, all cops everywhere are bad at their jobs?
Evil, evil, murderous trigger happy power trippers!

Currently living in a shitty, inland, California city. It's insane how many aggressive maniacs and socially unfit people I see all day long.

A democratic paradise.

The bum and junkie situation in NorCal has gotten completely out of control. Last week I saw a homeless crazy person with his pants down masturbating in front of a federal building. Lately I carry a larger knife on my side.

Please, what more are the police supposed to do here? They’re catching the criminals quickly. Then having to release with no bail even though they’re likely to re-offend. Should they be trailing all of these people after they get released? Please enlighten how they should be better at their job.

Last edited:
He could totally get sent to mental health court where he will get put on probation with no punishment. Then he will have conditions that supposedly will need to be met, such as substance abuse treatment and attending appointments, but he won't do it and somehow will evade any repercussions.

That’s why today’s western society is all backwards.

ppl go out of their way to punish regular law abiding citizens for minor infractions, but do everything they can to protect repeat offenders

n somehow they consider that “noble n fair”.

n then those same ppl wonder how can someone like trump get elected?

Did he steal himself a car
Or did he steal himself a home

I wonder how many times the same cops will have to arrest, release and be assaulted by the same criminal before the repeat offender and habitual LEO batterer dies resisting arrest?

I mean there's only so many times people can go through this charade before they realise that in the long run, the most direct action will actually result in less paperwork and hassle overall.

Back