Home Improvement and terrible experiences thread

6 months after I bought the house I kept having sewage backups in my back yard. The main drain line went from the back of the house, wrapped around one side, and then to the street about 100' away. The backups kept occurring literally 5 feet from the house under a dirt area.

So I dig up the dirt area, and found an old pie tin was covering the former septic tank clean out line. For some reason it was backing up and overflowing by this pie tin. So we had a plumber come in and snake it out. 6 weeks later, we had another back up, and I was pissed. We had another plumber come in and clean it out. Mind you this is starting to be winter in New England.

Fast forward to the day after Christmas, and we get ANOTHER back up. I finally had a plumber come in that had the underground location sensor, and he tried to clean it out, and then realized his equipment kept getting stuck about halfway through the side yard on the way to the street. He had trouble even pulling his snake back out of the piping. He marked the area where his sensor was stopped so we'd know.

Because it was the middle of the yard, we had to have a back hoe come in and dig out our side yard in January, when there was 3 feet of snow on the ground. It turns out that about 20 years ago, a high pressure gas pipeline was put in perpendicular to our sewage line, and to put it in they had to cut out our line, lay theirs, then reattach our sewage line. They didn't properly install our sewage line, so it collapsed in the middle of the yard, and was causing a backup for about 100' all the way to the back of the house.

I contacted the gas people, and they came out during the back hoe session, and realized it was their error and paid for all of it, plus the first two times the plumbers tried to snake it out. Keep in mind all of this started 6 MONTHS after I bought my first house, so I was freaked out.

Chardog what brand of cabinets are those? I have some that are very similar if not identical but the contractor that installed them is being very coy about telling me where they came from. I need replacement parts.

honestly dont remember. as far as hardware goes, you might have luck at your local homedepot/lowes, they sell cabinet hardware. try looking around cabinet shops in your area, pretty much all of these cabinets are preconfigured with certain sizeds, like 24", 27", 30", 36", and fillers/molding to make for tight fit. handles are pretty much the same deal as well as screw threading. bring your broken part to the store, and you can probably find a suitable replacement.

only issues you may have is if your cabinet was hand made american (I hand made cabinets for a few years, really high end stuff with high end prices). Even then, hinges/handles were universal.

being handy pays off tons though, I installed this myself (along with a few guys help):

The appliances are high end that I got for DIRT cheap on CL. I found out that high end appliances have a hard time selling because people buy these things for their mansions and upgrade to NEWER stuff. If they're wealthy enough for these items, they tend to buy them new and hard to find buyers. Also, their overly large sizes are hard for most average joe's to fit in their standard kitchens.

1200 CFM blower motor(roof mounted so it's super quiet) - $300
60" SS viking hood - $600
48" SS thermadore Cooktop - $500
24" wide cheapo SS oven - $100

money WELL spent. You can google the prices of these appliances and they're usually sky high. Sorry to get off topic

I missed the "before" part and thought "wow that's a new kitchen? looks like shit", lol. That looks fantastic Chardog, did you do everything yourself?

I'm just finishing up my first big reno, the main bathroom. It has taken forever.

Fuck me that's a nice cooktop for that price.

We had a pretty good drought a few years back. People had foundation issues... Our pool started leaking. It was time to redo it anyways, so we went all out and redid the whole backayrd.

During
Before%2520001.jpg

Before%2520002.jpg

After%2520002.jpg

After%2520003.jpg

My wife loves her coffee mug pics... :D
After%2520001.jpg

The 2 worst things for me so far have been the a/c unit going out in August when it was over 100 degrees out... and the furnace going out in January when it was below 10 out... In both cases it was several days before I could get somebody out to fix/replace.

Chardog what brand of cabinets are those? I have some that are very similar if not identical but the contractor that installed them is being very coy about telling me where they came from. I need replacement parts.

he guys. i used some revitalizing type cleaner/restorer on the floors last night. its called rejuvenate. got it at home depot. said it can be used with other waxes. so the floor isnt as shiny as i want it. do any of you have suggestions on a wax or something i can just mop on a couple coats tonight before we have company this weekend? what do you guys use to put some shine on that shit yo? soul glo?

I have a swiffer with a cleaner that's specifically for wood floors that does a decent job. It's not a wax though.

I think you could just Mop n' Glo and be good if you've already cleaned.

he guys. i used some revitalizing type cleaner/restorer on the floors last night. its called rejuvenate. got it at home depot. said it can be used with other waxes. so the floor isnt as shiny as i want it. do any of you have suggestions on a wax or something i can just mop on a couple coats tonight before we have company this weekend? what do you guys use to put some shine on that shit yo? soul glo?

Only thing I ever use on my hardwood is Murphy's oil soap. I'm not sure if it brings a high shine factor with it compared to other stuff, but it's supposed to be good for the floors, cleans them good, etc. I haven't really experimented with other stuff.

the thing is, its already super clean. i cleaned the fook out of them. then i applied this rejuvenate stuff. 2 coats 2 1/2 hours apart. so now it looks really good but it isnt super shiny. and like i said i talked to a guy at the depot who swears by the stuff. he also said you can wax on top of it. if need be. i want that shit so shiny and slippery my kids fall on their faces if they try to get to the fridge.

refinished the front entry and kitchen area. shines like hell now.....

need to rip up the stair carpet now........

my youngest kid spilled a nuclear radiation green smoothie on the carpet this last Thursday. after soaking in all day Thursday and my wife doing a half assed cleaning job then somehow blaming me for not cleaning it, it looked like shit. yesterday I told my sister about it while my wife was at work. she told me she saw a good carpet cleaner on pinterest and had used it. since I don't go on pinterest since im a male, she said to get these ingredients. hydrogen peroxide, clear dawn detergent and clear vinegar. equal parts dawn and vinegar and double that in peroxide in a bucket of cold water with about 5 cups of water. I scrubbed and let it soak for 10 minutes then dried it with a dark towel. then did that again. this was on a light grey carpet. I don't think it would lighten a different color. that shit looks original again.

When we moved in i explained to my husband that i will not under any circumstances repair or rebuild anything. That's her job. She is the one who has a dick.

Fixed that for ya.

Anyway, my house is full of small fixes. I bought it about 3 years ago and the guy I bought it from was an awful handy man who did everything himself. I'm talking shelves built with crooked scrap wood, leaky sinks, fucked tile in the shower. I havn't had any major stuff yet but I'm always finding shit he screwed up. My wife and I just finished painting the laundry room and the amount of random nails bent over and pounded into the T&G was ludicrous. I'm just waiting for the inevitable catostrophic discovery thats gonna be beyond my ability.

Back