Holyfield-Tyson.

in my opinion, tyson looked good after the douglas wake up call, different but good, the ruddock fights were tough ones and possibly some of his better fights. He strayed from a lot of the science he'd used earlier and became a more basic fighter, but I don't know if I'd count him out against holyfield at that point. Even after prison he had a shot to put it all back together, so much money was involved that he was rushed by everyone, even the fans who didn't understand why he was fighting patsies, we found out the reason why, it was to get ready for a real fight which accidentally happened with holyfield. Ali wasn't even close to being ready for Frazier the first time, not even close, even then he fought his ass off, i don't think ever hit harder but he lost.

Something was terribly, terribly off with Holyfield in the first Michael Moorer fight and the third Riddick Bowe fight. I've heard everything from heart problems, hepatitis, and/or a bad reaction to steroids. Don't know which it was, but something definitely threw him off as for he was not himself in those 2 fights. The Holyfield that came out for Bowe 2 almost seemed unbeatable, something went wrong after that though. Whatever it was though he fought through it and came back strong.

People underestimated how durable Holyfield was, he had looked pretty frail in recent fights, and had even retired briefly due to a heart problem.

Also people remember that fight differently than it actually happened. Tyson did very well until he gassed around the 5th or 6th round. The supposed "knockdown" was an off-balance push.

But Tyson wasn't in shape enough to go 12 and got his ass kicked in later rounds because of this.

it was a good fight, tyson hurt him in the 5 or 6, for all the talk about how overrated Mike was, Emmanuel Steward said it best "Mike Tyson has never been in a bad fight". Dude fought his ass off even when he lost.

Holyfield usually beat guys smaller than him. He had problems with the bigger HW. I thought he beat Michael Moore, as well.

funny thing was, Holy was always stronger than the guys he fought, even though they weighed more, outside of foreman, no one pushed him around in his prime. so him being smaller didn't effect that aspect of his game although he did not punch like he did at cruiser or lightheavy.

Back