Holyfield-Tyson.

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by CastletonSnob, Sep 5, 2018.

1. CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob Blue Belt

Tyson was heavily favored to beat Holyfield in their first fight, and we all know what happened. Did people just underestimate how past it Tyson was at that point, or did Holyfield just have his number stylistically?

2. wilddeuces

wilddeuces Brown Belt

Holyfield has some fights before Tyson that made people suspect whether he could hang in there. Turns out he could. I think that Tyson had slipped remarkably from his prime. Just because he knocked out a few guys on his way back didn't mean he was in shape or in the right mental state to take Holyfield. Holyfield is beatable, but he gives every opponent a gut check - if you aren't in condition, or in top form, it'll show against Evan Fields, errrrr, I mean Holyfield.

Plus, those headbutts really didn't help.

Fluffernutter, Jhonni5 and ssx like this.
  3. Stormtrooper85

Stormtrooper85 Black Belt

Tyson mania had him as a favorite for awhile after his best days were behind him and the Bowe trilogy had taken so many years off Holyfield's career and the fact that he spent most fights eating a ton of punches didn't help that much either.

4. CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob Blue Belt

Tyson at that point was just a slugger.

elanimalsantana likes this.
  5. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

Tyson’s main problem was discipline and conditioning. Tyson’s inability to keep up his pace and not having top level conditioning is what did him in post prison. Too much money and fame brought in too many distractions, women, alcohol, drugs, parties rather than training and other factors as well. A Tyson who is in shape to go 12 rounds and can sustain his offense beats Holyfield.

Jhonni5 likes this.
  6. CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob Blue Belt

I think Tyson would have declined anyway. Fighters with his style tend to burn out more quickly because of the toll it takes on your body.

DaveDave likes this.
  7. elanimalsantana

elanimalsantana Brown Belt

Tyson was the most OVERRATED fighter I can think of. He knocked out a bunch of guys but if he didn't overwhelm his opponent with initial aggression and power and the guy fought back, he had nothing else to offer. Too many guys were afraid of him or couldn't handle his power, and that lead people to think he was something that he wasn't. He was a frontrunner who faded as the fight went on. Take a look at Joe Frazier, similar styles except Joe got stronger as the fight went on. Big difference.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  8. droolingliver

droolingliver Blue Belt

Tyson had dropped from his prime, however, I feel a huge factor was that Holyfield wasn't scared of him. They had known each other when in the Olympic camp and had the, "pool cue incident", which Tyson claims he can't remember, but gave Holyfield great confidence.

Tyson was feared after prison and intimidated his opponents. Look at what happened in the Seldon and Bruno fights. Holyfield wasn't going to be scared like them.

However, I don't buy the view that Tyson was just a bully. He took beatings too much for that.

9. Stormtrooper85

Stormtrooper85 Black Belt

We all know his history with spinal injuries.

The Cus style was pretty bad for most fighter, Patterson had back problems in his career and eventually Tyson did as well. It was great to watch at first but lead to sharp declines. Tyson's vices sped that decline along as well

Jhonni5 likes this.
  10. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

Let's get that opinion out there:rolleyes:

11. Prefect

Prefect Brown Belt

So much headbutting from Holyfield. Tyson should have started fouling. I would have more respect for Holyfield as a boxer if he didn't perpetually use his head as a battering ram. I think the the first fight would have been close without headbutting.

SOAzmayesh likes this.
  12. elanimalsantana

elanimalsantana Brown Belt

Excuse making, Holyfield didn't go in with his head, he just stood his ground and Tyson was coming in leading with his head. Tyson caused the butts by doing so, they weren't intentional.

13. mozfonky

mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

funny thing was, people fell for his innocent nice guy act for most of his career. Not to say he's not a good man but that he also did shit he shouldn't have done whenever he could, of course that's not to get into the whole steroid thing.

14. mozfonky

haha, tyson wasn't the only guy who had problem with that bullet head. remember hasseem rahman?

Mr.Maelstrom and elanimalsantana like this.
  15. mozfonky

I honestly think mike would have been fine had he had more time and better people around him. He was looking better each fight since Prison, he looked awful in the mcneeley fight, he was actually stunned by buster mathis, then, he tore bruno apart and looked great doing it, then seldon flopped around, tyson got overconfident (again) and he didn't even look as good as he did for the mcneely fight where he was ripped, he wasn't in no shape for holyfield and who could blame him, holy looked like a duck vs. fat middleweight Cyzz. No one thought he had a shot and a lot of people thought he was crazy and shouldn't be fighting tyson at all.

ssx and cocksure like this.
  16. SOAzmayesh

SOAzmayesh Banned Banned

A fight that was indirectly won by headbutting...

17. fighthug

fighthug Yellow Belt

Holyfield's coaches studied Tyson's style to craft strategy for the fight.

A two examples and that he will obey and that Tyson In the second, Holyfield led Tyson into the ropes, and his strategy for the fight became clear. I never had a fight that lasted until after the 2nd round. Based on this Holyfield was endowed to resist the blows of Tyson until after the 2 round. Tyson backed down his power and affected his balance, and gave Holyfield the opportunity to advance. Tyson said this even in the documentary that he was impressed of the struggle of passing of the 1 round.

So even if Tyson forced a saint he would never win in that fight.

18. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Silver Belt

Holyfield had just lost to Bowe and really had looked old

Tyson was beating some bums spectacularly (as usual for Tyson's career)

So people thought Tyson would run through him

Fluffernutter likes this.
  19. Streeter

Streeter Black Belt

Still think Tyson thought he would walk thru him and really under estimated him. Had Tyson imo really trained how he needed I dont think he loses n think he gets a later rd ko. But he got shocked as Holyfielf took it an kept coming an folded plate. I disagree with many here that version of Tyson wasn't far off prime Mike he trained poorly an kost heart n never got back.

20. stuff jones

stuff jones Purple Belt

What style? He had great defense.