Holy hell caffeine withdrawals are brutal

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I quit drinking caffeine cold turkey 3 days ago. I drank coffee at work all day long, mostly out of boredom, but I haven't been sleeping well and I thought quitting it altogether could help. I have had a brutal headache for two days now and it gets 10x worse anytime I do anything physical like exercise or even play video games. I just read this can last for up to 9 days!?!? I had no idea caffeine was this serious a drug.

Tldr: check your caffeine consumption. Withdrawals suck.

Had the same issue when I quit cold turkey. I had to slump in my car driving home the headache was so brutal. I got back on caffeine again because it's so hard to avoid but I do remember after the withdrawls, I felt really good and much calmer. I wouldn't mind trying again but those headaches are insane.

Yeah I remember back when I was dating my ex-wife she was one of those multiple energy drinks per day people. She'd start getting insane headaches any time she cut back.

I remember being sort of critical of it but now of course I drink multiple energy drinks every day too. Combination of sleep issues and work+ commute being over 14 hours means I'm always exhausted during the week.

I quit drinking caffeine cold turkey 3 days ago. I drank coffee at work all day long, mostly out of boredom, but I haven't been sleeping well and I thought quitting it altogether could help. I have had a brutal headache for two days now and it gets 10x worse anytime I do anything physical like exercise or even play video games. I just read this can last for up to 9 days!?!? I had no idea caffeine was this serious a drug.

I'd rather go through opiate withdrawal twice than caffeine withdrawal, lol.

It's absolutely brutal.

I've gotten off caffeine addiction 3 times (most recently 2 weeks ago).

You'r not suppose to go cold turkey. Get like the caffeine variant of crystal light (comes in packets) that are 60 mg. Enough caffeine where you won't get a headache but lower than what your normally consuming. After 3 or 4 days do half the packet and then after another 3 or 4 you should be able to completely go off it with no side effects.

Last edited:
My wife gets caffeine withdrawals which seems suspect since she only drinks coke which is pretty low caffeine.

It's funny. I was feeling anxiety recently so I dropped it (I usually only do a cup of coffee or a Diet Coke a day) a few weeks back. I had a protein shake with coffee in it and felt my face flush and got hyped within 20 minutes. Was mildly concerned.

lol 9 days is nothing... I had to quit valium and cocaine at the same time and had the most horrible withdrawal symptoms for over a year. Felt like i was dying and had extreme panic attacks to the point it was a real challenge just to go to the supermarket. Spend at least 6 months almost exclusively on my couch. Was by far the worst ive ever felt in my life.
Thank god its more then 14 years ago already :)

Everytime I quit caffeine I excessively hydrate and that helps with the headaches. Now I just stop caffeine by 5 pm and hop right back on it in the morning.

it's partly genetic too.

one of the things on my DNA test said that I'm likely to drink 5+ cups a day and I do!

Yeah one of my friends about a week ago told me she was going caffeine free and then like 2 days later was complaining of the worst headaches imaginable. I told her to drink a coke. She said no. She eventually did though lol.

Back