• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Holy Gracie Combatives

Ok. Since youre backing down on the roll.

What about a fight? An MMA match? Street fight? Whatever rules you want. 4oz gloves, 8oz gloves, no gloves, w.e.

Same weight? Lighter? Heavier? W/E you want. It has to be another blue belt, or higher if you want.

No excuses, no bullshit. Open invite from me. So just come in, be cool, handle business. Only thing I want is to film it. You win, i post it. I win, i post it. Im about 20lbs lighter than you, but im down. If not, ive got just the 170lber in mind for you. Hes a blue belt. Has only competed about 3 times.

Game?

Goodness Gracious. This made my heart pump, I definitly want to see this. But I still personally think GJJ Fighter is full of crap. He claims to be working on the Master Cycle but currently the Master Cycle is only available to Gracie Garages & all the Gracie Garages are all listed on the Gracie Academy website. So my question to GJJ Fighter, which Garage are you training at, the leader of the garage has to post a video of themselves & their training facility & we can contact them to see if you even train there.

Before anyone asks me, I still haven't started training yet. I only own the Gracie Combatives DVD set & Gracie Bullyproof DVD set. I also purchased the Gracie Combatives Detailed Lesson Printouts which they e-mail you a link to download it & I printed that off & laminated each piece of paper indivisually & put that in those plastic paper protectors & put that in a binder so it's basically a reference book & it looks very professional.

The only thing I know about the Master Cycle is that currently, it is only available to Gracie Garages. So far, they have only posted 2 of the positions for Blue Belt Stripe 1 & they aren't fully done with uploading the 2nd position yet.

Last edited:
xMTDx-I like your post a lot. It captures the spirit of what real training is imo.

haha seriously man I would like to come down in the summer if im available to. I know something will open up of course, but no matter what happens im gonna try my best to play stall ball from every position. You would not over power me unless you can bench more than 255 (I went up finally) barbell curl 100 more than 8 time negative curls and im not even gonna go into my back, tri's, and shoulders lol, I neglect my legs the only workout they get is cardio, basketball, and training, so you probably have me beat on the legs lol. I am not scrawny, I am a pretty solid guy. Dont let my weight decieve you. Although yes proper technique beats strength 100 percent of the time! I will not say I would win, but I have to say you wouldnt over power me. :icon_chee

85 pages in this thread. Fer Fudge' sake. And the insecurity evident in the above makes it quite evident why this fellow will never,ever enter an actual BJJ gym. Dude thinks benching 255 pounds would save him from someone whose been rolling for years.

There is no tension or pressure to online instruction and grading. Sure you might grapple with some friends, but not random ppl of different skill and different intentions. Go through a proper grading where every person you roll is making you earn your rank until you drag your sweaty carcass of the mats, exhausted, blurry eyed and nauseous.

Online instruction wont challenge you, wont make you roll with someone fresh and hungry when you're still spent from the warmup. Online grading will not teach you heart and persistance and how to harden the fuck up when the going gets tough and dig deep. This is the single most important attribute of the fighter's mindset and only a gym can deliver it. Only a gym will give you this level of challenge, pressure and mental toughness. Dynamic and competitive gyms produce fighters of steely resolve, humility and pressure tested toughness. Thats what counts in 'the streets' - whatever the fuck 'the streets' means anyway.
Have a group of guys training with you. They can push you and learn

You do realize it takes energy to hold someone down, right? Second, that's not going to stop someone from opening your guard for too long. You'll end up gassing as the guy in your guard will be posting his leg to break it open. You'll probably also get a nice uncomfortable forearm across your throat too.

Yes I do realize all this could happen.

word to the wise: how much you bench wont matter. If you're bench pressing people off you, you're leaving your arms up to be attacked. When you bump someone off of you, you're mainly using your hips, and bumping them up to retain guard, or escape.

I would never bench press someone off that is asking for an arm bar.

Then what would it matter how much you bench press? Clearly it wont help your jiu-jitsu.

Secondly... still no videos?

No, he STILL doesn't have any videos...BUT I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*I would like to give a special shout out to GJJ FIGHTER and his comment we don't train strikes..Gracie Barra went 4-0 at the Legacy Fighting Championship this past weekend. 3 from Gracie Barra Texas and 1 from Gracie Barra woodlands which includes Submission of the night, a super fight win and our brother in the woodlands won the title.

No, he STILL doesn't have any videos...BUT I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

What's also funny is... GJJfighter claims he's able to learn superior jiu-jitsu through videos, yet, completely ignores all the proof(through videos none the less) you've shown him that Gracie Barra isn't just sport Jiu-jitsu.

What's also funny is... GJJfighter claims he's able to learn superior jiu-jitsu through videos, yet, completely ignores all the proof(through videos none the less) you've shown him that Gracie Barra isn't just sport Jiu-jitsu.

I know, stupid people are fun, aren't they! haha

Yeah man I saw it. Once again im glad he has an opinion. That is great I would be a litter concerned if he didnt lol. He has what he believes and I have what I and 25,000 more ppl believe. .

Google the Fallacy "Ad Populum". You are the king of fallacious thinking and debating.

Its a stupid premise anyway. Your basically saying 25,000 white belts know more than one 4th degree black belt. White belts banging there heads together in a garage doesn't give them cumulative brain power. I don't care how many 3rd graders you get into an auditorium..they will never be smarter than the teacher there.

Google the Fallacy "Ad Populum". You are the king of fallacious thinking and debating.

Its a stupid premise anyway. Your basically saying 25,000 white belts know more than one 4th degree black belt. White belts banging there heads together in a garage doesn't give them cumulative brain power. I don't care how many 3rd graders you get into an auditorium..they will never be smarter than the teacher there.

Beautifully argued.

Thank you :) I guess logic just makes sense to me. Too bad it doesn't to everyone else, if it did..me and my wife would get in a lot less arguments :icon_chee

Take it from a guy who has been with the same woman for 21 years. Logic does not enter into the marriage equation.

But don't worry. What was gospel today will be tomorrow's discarded dumb idea.

Hello,

I know this has not been updated for a few months, but I would like to objectively set the record straight for both BJJ and the Gracie Combatives Program. Many people here are not informed enough about the point of the Gracie University online training. It is NOT the case you can just mail any video of their techniques and they will mail out belts to all who send in a fee and video. The video evaluation has specific guidelines and paying attention to detail is essential.
Here I will lay out the difference between both BJJ and the Gracie university online program, which includes the combatives program as well. I have trained at a Gracie Barra affiliated school for six years and earned a purple belt. I do both prgrams! The Gracie Barra I will address as BJJ and the Gracie university as GJJ as many have done here already. BJJ really doesn't have a set lesson plan that students can know in advance what the lessons will be or what techniques will be learned in a set month. It is pretty much up to the instructor. So you can learn more techniques than me per se if you have a better instructor. You can learn the coolest sweeps and counters if your instructor happens to be a better or more informed instructor than mine instuctor or the next guy's instuctor. So that is a negative guys. On the positive side, most legit instuctors take pride in arming their students with enough quality to roll with any other school and fare well. It looks bad on the instuctor if Bob's white belts are better than Joe's Purple belts. So live rolling gives BJJ a more realistic sense of the techniques. That is a big plus. The bad experience many peole have is that the live rolling comes with pain and injury when rolling with jerks. Jerk is the guy who is going all out to win --even cheat and not care just as long as he doesn't get tapped. All BJJ schools have at least one of these guys. That aside, many BJJ guys don't care about quality or form in techniques: the form is not correct due to speed of the technique being applied to get the guy to tap. In rolling, we try to tap the guy quickly before he can counter it so form is often sacrificed. The main goal is to tap the guy and not care how the submission looks (ie, wrong grip, hips too high when stepping over, no total control of the opponent,etc). GJJ has a focus on repetition to imporve form and over all effectiveness of a submission. GJJ requires both form and the result to be positive. BJJ has a focus on the result -- who cares how pretty my arm bar is as long as the guy taps. GJJ makes the claim that art cares about form: what can be better than a beautifully executed arm bar and a submission to boot? Art requires control over your own body as well as control over the opponent. How many top BJJ experts have sloppy form? I have not seen any. So at the high levels form is usually there for both BJJ and GJJ. The difference is GJJ tries to instill quality form EARLY and to keep it. BJJ won't get that till purple or brown. GJJ has more specific details by FAR on how to execute each technique. Anyone who views the lessons at Gracie University will see clarity and crazy detail I did not get. BJJ you sort have to figure out things many times for yourself. GJJ makes learning easy and makes it impossible NOT to understand. GJJ makes the claim knowledge and Understanding is a different mindset from the BJJ counterpart. Part of that is Rorion's claim that a GJJ guy doesn't have to be athletic and have the skill to beat a biger, stronger and more athletic opponent. This is huge. No one addresses Rorion's claim. Is it true or not? GJJ teaches combatives to beginners and then goes through the master cycle. The master cycle teaches more advanced moves according to rank. Each stripe learns more than the previous one. This like in the old days where brown belts learn more than the lower ranks. Things are rank specific. BJJ is not rank specific. You learn what ever the instructor likes. So there is no separate rank lessons. Any one can learn the technique of the day. GJJ does hold back. GJJ claims that given enough repetitons the techniques will be automatic just like Katas in the other Martial arts. These automatic reactions should be in the quality of form as practiced. So the quality should be high in form and execution. No one can argue that the older arts did not practice this way. Practice thousands of repetitions with no resistance then gradually add resistance to 100 percent all out resistance -- being a jerk opponet. This is what GJJ is doing. BJJ does not. BJJ is to roll enough for you get the technique to work. If you don't understand then ask but aw well, too bad. BJJ rolling creates toughness. GJJ createsattention to detail to get the tap. This post is too long now. Hopefully I made some distinctions without bias and the reader sees it that way. Any comments, critques, questions, just ask.

Hello,

I know this has not been updated for a few months, but I would like to objectively set the record straight for both BJJ and the Gracie Combatives Program. Many people here are not informed enough about the point of the Gracie University online training. It is NOT the case you can just mail any video of their techniques and they will mail out belts to all who send in a fee and video. The video evaluation has specific guidelines and paying attention to detail is essential.
Here I will lay out the difference between both BJJ and the Gracie university online program, which includes the combatives program as well. I have trained at a Gracie Barra affiliated school for six years and earned a purple belt. I do both prgrams! The Gracie Barra I will address as BJJ and the Gracie university as GJJ as many have done here already. BJJ really doesn't have a set lesson plan that students can know in advance what the lessons will be or what techniques will be learned in a set month. It is pretty much up to the instructor. So you can learn more techniques than me per se if you have a better instructor. You can learn the coolest sweeps and counters if your instructor happens to be a better or more informed instructor than mine instuctor or the next guy's instuctor. So that is a negative guys. On the positive side, most legit instuctors take pride in arming their students with enough quality to roll with any other school and fare well. It looks bad on the instuctor if Bob's white belts are better than Joe's Purple belts. So live rolling gives BJJ a more realistic sense of the techniques. That is a big plus. The bad experience many peole have is that the live rolling comes with pain and injury when rolling with jerks. Jerk is the guy who is going all out to win --even cheat and not care just as long as he doesn't get tapped. All BJJ schools have at least one of these guys. That aside, many BJJ guys don't care about quality or form in techniques: the form is not correct due to speed of the technique being applied to get the guy to tap. In rolling, we try to tap the guy quickly before he can counter it so form is often sacrificed. The main goal is to tap the guy and not care how the submission looks (ie, wrong grip, hips too high when stepping over, no total control of the opponent,etc). GJJ has a focus on repetition to imporve form and over all effectiveness of a submission. GJJ requires both form and the result to be positive. BJJ has a focus on the result -- who cares how pretty my arm bar is as long as the guy taps. GJJ makes the claim that art cares about form: what can be better than a beautifully executed arm bar and a submission to boot? Art requires control over your own body as well as control over the opponent. How many top BJJ experts have sloppy form? I have not seen any. So at the high levels form is usually there for both BJJ and GJJ. The difference is GJJ tries to instill quality form EARLY and to keep it. BJJ won't get that till purple or brown. GJJ has more specific details by FAR on how to execute each technique. Anyone who views the lessons at Gracie University will see clarity and crazy detail I did not get. BJJ you sort have to figure out things many times for yourself. GJJ makes learning easy and makes it impossible NOT to understand. GJJ makes the claim knowledge and Understanding is a different mindset from the BJJ counterpart. Part of that is Rorion's claim that a GJJ guy doesn't have to be athletic and have the skill to beat a biger, stronger and more athletic opponent. This is huge. No one addresses Rorion's claim. Is it true or not? GJJ teaches combatives to beginners and then goes through the master cycle. The master cycle teaches more advanced moves according to rank. Each stripe learns more than the previous one. This like in the old days where brown belts learn more than the lower ranks. Things are rank specific. BJJ is not rank specific. You learn what ever the instructor likes. So there is no separate rank lessons. Any one can learn the technique of the day. GJJ does hold back. GJJ claims that given enough repetitons the techniques will be automatic just like Katas in the other Martial arts. These automatic reactions should be in the quality of form as practiced. So the quality should be high in form and execution. No one can argue that the older arts did not practice this way. Practice thousands of repetitions with no resistance then gradually add resistance to 100 percent all out resistance -- being a jerk opponet. This is what GJJ is doing. BJJ does not. BJJ is to roll enough for you get the technique to work. If you don't understand then ask but aw well, too bad. BJJ rolling creates toughness. GJJ createsattention to detail to get the tap. This post is too long now. Hopefully I made some distinctions without bias and the reader sees it that way. Any comments, critques, questions, just ask.

I think you stereotype BJJ when you define it like that. BJJ is a broad term, with many different approaches to teaching. Here are some counter examples:

• Gracie Barra actually does have a curriculum.
  • Straight Blast Gym popularized the gradual resistance technique for learning BJJ. They too have a curriculum IIRC.
  • Lloyd Irvin students perform a lot of repetition, and many of them log their repetitions.
  • So do some students I know from a Machado lineage.
  • My old gym in Pittsburgh has a curriculum, and we focused heavily on both rolling & repetition, since not everyone learns the same way. We also focused on why moves work, not just how to do moves.
You're right, some schools do focus only on results. However, suggesting that's even the norm in BJJ schools does not jive with my experiences when visiting other schools.

Hello,

Tell us which barra you trained at and who you recieved your purple belt from. Who is your Gracie barra instructor that believed or taught in this manner :" BJJ has a focus on the result -- who cares how pretty my arm bar is as long as the guy taps.". Also if you are a Barra student you will know that Carlihnos GRACIE is the head of Barra and it is no less GJJ than Rorions school. Heck if you think about it Barra and Humaita are the only "Real" Gracie schools that do both traditional and modern bjj.

Back