Holy crap! New Blue Belt vs. Ninja (no vid)

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
My buddy got his blue belt about six months ago. In the last year and a half he has amassed a 4-1 MMA record. Now he is taking a big step and fighting Murillo "Ninja" Rua!!!

I knew he was going to be our next big thing, but damn!!! Roy is a big underdog, but I say he takes this one!

Murilo 'Ninja' Rua Signs with W-1; Debut Set for October 23 in Halifax, Nova Scotia

Former PRIDE light heavyweight luminary Murilo "Ninja" Rua's next fight will not be in the UFC Octagon, contrary to rumors pointing otherwise.

The older brother of UFC 205-pound champion, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua has signed with the burgeoning Canada-based Warrior One (W-1) MMA organization and will compete on the promotion's October 23 show in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

W-1 president, Jack Bateman informed CagePotato.com of the signing Sunday night.

"We're very excited to add a fighter of Murilo's caliber to our first show in Nova Scotia. I'm really proud of how this card is shaping up," Bateman says. "Our fans in are in for a treat. Ninja is one of the fighters I've always enjoyed watching as a fan and we couldn't be more excited to have him fight for W-1."

Ninja's opponent on the October 23 card will be underrated Team Cesar Gracie protegee Roy Boughton who sent shockwaves through the Canadian MMA scene in June when he submitted highly-touted Toronto-based grappling phenom Misha Cirkunov at W-1: Judgement Day.

Although terms of the 30-year-old Brazilian's contract were not disclosed, sources close to Rua revealed that the former Chuteboxe fighter is one win away from signing with the UFC, so his stay with W-1 could be short-lived if he can get past Boughton.

Rua (20-10-1) is riding a four-fight winning streak, with the last "W" coming by way of guillotine against Jeremy May in July at Impact FC's second show in Sydney, Australia. Though he holds wins over notable fighters like Mario Sperry, Mark Weir and Joey Villasenor, he is perhaps best known for his war of attrition decision losses to fellow PRIDE stars Paulo Filho, Dan Henderson, Ricardo Arona and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

The Rua-Boughton bout will bolster an already impressive card that features a top-notch cast of fighters that includes Strikeforce vet Brett Rogers, Bellator standouts Will Romero and Sean Pierson and former MFC light heavyweight champion Roger "The Hulk" Hollett.

Just over a year-and-a-half old, W-1 is rapidly becoming one of the most popular promotions north of the border. The organization has assembled an impressive stable of top-tier fighters including several well-known MMA vets like John Alessio, Denis Kang, Carlos Newton, Shonie Carter, Jason MacDonald, Antonio Carvalho, Pat Healy, Ivan Menjivar and Vernon White.

W1: New Ground will touch down October 23 at 7:00 AT at the Halifax Forum in Halifax, NS.

Last edited:
Ninja is much better on the ground than he gets credit for, and much worse on the feet than he gets credit for. Tell your friend to hit him hard and often.

What an awesome fighter name! good luck to your friend.

Tough matchup for your friend.... Ninja has been very well lately. Universidade da Luta, against all odds and critics, became a very solid training camp and Ninja and Shogun`s results speak for themselves.

You say he`s a blue belt?

Talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool!

Wow. Good luck to your friend.

Any videos of his past fights?

Wow. Good luck to your friend.

Any videos of his past fights?

I've seen one amateur fight on video, but I haven't seen any others. It's probably better to keep the vids on the down low anyway...

Thanks, I hope Ninja thinks this will be an easy fight.

edit...

I talked about him in another thread in February. I guess he got his blue belt in February so he's been a blue belt for 8-9months.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/question-real-brown-black-belts-sherdog-1157819/index7.html

Last edited:
What a great opportunity for your friend, Bill! Best of luck to him. I hope Ninja does great but your friend does even better. Post a video of the fight after it happens if you would.

I thought I was gonna see a guy in a gi fighting a guy in a all black suit....

HA! I was going to PM you about this.

I don't know how the arrangements will shake down with local gyms and such, but if I can do anything to show your friend some Nova Scotian hospitality, let me know.

I'm not the type to take him drinking after the fight. Maybe he'd like a homecooked meal after weighins or something?

Just a big fan of team Cesar Gracie. Send some dudes up with him!

Wish your buddy best of luck with the training, preparation and fight.

HA! I was going to PM you about this.

I don't know how the arrangements will shake down with local gyms and such, but if I can do anything to show your friend some Nova Scotian hospitality, let me know.

I'm not the type to take him drinking after the fight. Maybe he'd like a homecooked meal after weighins or something?

Just a big fan of team Cesar Gracie. Send some dudes up with him!

That would be awesome.

This is a huge step for Roy!

Roy doesn't drink. Kids these days, you know...

Thank you very much! Check your inbox in a few minutes.

He looks good in that fight. I remember watching him at the Gracie Open too and thnking this kid is going to be a badass.

He's a savage for fighting Ninja!!!! RESPECT.

It's veeeery rare I root against a Rua, but best wishes to Roy, I'll be rooting for him to bring back the upset.

He looks good in that fight. I remember watching him at the Gracie Open too and thnking this kid is going to be a badass. He's a savage for fighting Ninja!!!! RESPECT.

It's veeeery rare I root against a Rua, but best wishes to Roy, I'll be rooting for himto bring back the upset.

Yeah, he won his weight and absolute.

well, not too long ago (a couple of months) he fought tutu arcemedes, whos a guy from my country... Tutu is an amateur fighter, ninja was suppoust to fight at shine fights (I think) and since the card got cancelled, he went back to brazil and fought at bitteti combat. We were all WHAAAAAAAAAAT tutu is going against Murilo??? WTF!!! Tutu is INSANE!!! he is going to get killed every one said... well, for our surprise, he didnt, he got choked out though, but knocked him down first, tutu connected a punch in the first minutes of the fight, ninja went down, and he followed him like a mad man (remember this guy was an amateur fighter, with a couple fights behind him, but nothing more than a regular joe you may get to know at your gym), bad move, tutu is barely a blue belt, he got reversed and arm triangle choked...

advice: tell your friend to keep it standing.

wow, I just saw the video.... I was very impressed the way he escape the first round... also, was nice to see such a big guy like misha going for submissions...

Also, Ninja is a MW, he was fighting at HW, how would he take the cut to MW???

And remember, Ninja will not gas the way misha did... your friend looks to be in great cardio shape, looks like a pretty strong guy too... I wish the best for him.

Last edited:
Yikes, tough fight!!!! Not to mention your boy just lost to the only guy he has fought that has any type of experience. Wonder why he would take this fight coming off a lose? I guess its a no lose situation and maybe he will shock the world!!!!!!!

Good luck to him!!!!

Yikes, tough fight!!!! Not to mention your boy just lost to the only guy he has fought that has any type of experience. Wonder why he would take this fight coming off a lose? I guess its a no lose situation and maybe he will shock the world!!!!!!!

Good luck to him!!!!

The world has been shocked!!!

Roy Boughton vs Murilo

Back