Hit by a car, time to hit back.

Nice work man! Funny thing is, when I saw your deadlift I thought we are similar strengthwise. Then I scrolled up to see the other lifts and started crying like a bitch, lol.

Your log makes me feel like a puss.

i_hug_that_feel.png

Squat:

45x5x2
135x5
155x5
185x2
225x2
260x5x3

Bench Press:

45x5x2
135x5
185x5
235x5x3

Deadlift:

135x5
135x5
185x5
275x2
290x2
325x3
330x3

Didn't have time for any assistance work as this was a late night workout. Went really well.

Progress looks great man. Out of uriosity, why didn't you got for 240 on this day?

Your log makes me feel like a puss.

Haha I don't know why, you're stronger than me, and if you're a Browns fan, then you definitely know a thing or two about mental suffering.

Nice work man! Funny thing is, when I saw your deadlift I thought we are similar strengthwise. Then I scrolled up to see the other lifts and started crying like a bitch, lol.

Thanks man! I really hadn't deadlifted until the start of the competition on here so it's definitely a little bit behind the other lifts (well, mostly bench). At least I can finally squat and pull more than I bench, so I'm taking baby steps in the right directions.

You've also made a ton of progress on your deadlift looking at your log, so keep it up.

Progress looks great man. Out of uriosity, why didn't you got for 240 on this day?

I was wondering that myself. I figure I must have forgotten what weight I had done the previous bench day. I'll be doing 240 for 3 set of 5 tomorrow for sure though, so wish me luck.

So I went and got a free "Fitness plan" from World Health Club today. Overall impression of the gym, trainers, and overall experience?

httpdiscoveringjade-tumblr-com.gif

Awful. First thing they did was sit me down to discuss my goals. When I said "strength training", the trainer said I would probably be interested in seeing the squat racks. A glimmer of hope.

But then he took me over to the gyms two smith machines.

wvnOO.gif

When I pointed out that they were not, in fact, squat racks, he became a bit flustered and back tracked, talking about liability and blah blah blah. Following this, the tour of the gym consisted of mainly him harping on about how many "functional" training options the gym offered that I could use instead of squatting.

Having never worked out at a commercial gym, is this a typical environment? The gym had no oly platforms, no squat racks, and pretty daft staff. I'm finished my degree in a few months and won't have access to my University gym, so I'm looking for a new one in the near future.

So I went and got a free "Fitness plan" from World Health Club today. Overall impression of the gym, trainers, and overall experience?

Awful. First thing they did was sit me down to discuss my goals. When I said "strength training", the trainer said I would probably be interested in seeing the squat racks. A glimmer of hope.

But then he took me over to the gyms two smith machines.

When I pointed out that they were not, in fact, squat racks, he became a bit flustered and back tracked, talking about liability and blah blah blah. Following this, the tour of the gym consisted of mainly him harping on about how many "functional" training options the gym offered that I could use instead of squatting.

Having never worked out at a commercial gym, is this a typical environment? The gym had no oly platforms, no squat racks, and pretty daft staff. I'm finished my degree in a few months and won't have access to my University gym, so I'm looking for a new one in the near future.

Sounds pretty standard to me. I worked out at an Extreme Fitness over the Holidays at home. First thing I asked was where the squat racks are, he said they have 3 and showed me 2 racks and 1 smith machine. No platforms, no real space to do deadlifts, and lots of hex plates.

I actually found the YMCA to be pretty solid, and relatively cheap. Does your uni not have a deal for ex-students?

Sounds pretty standard to me. I worked out at an Extreme Fitness over the Holidays at home. First thing I asked was where the squat racks are, he said they have 3 and showed me 2 racks and 1 smith machine. No platforms, no real space to do deadlifts, and lots of hex plates.

I actually found the YMCA to be pretty solid, and relatively cheap. Does your uni not have a deal for ex-students?

It does, but I live a fair distance away, and parking on campus is 5-8 dollars. So any deal is pretty much negligible.

Squat:

45x5x2
135x5
155x5
185x2
225x2
265x5x3

Bench Press:

45x5x2
135x5
185x5
240x4x3

Deadlift:

135x5
135x5
185x5
275x2
290x2
330x5

Good workout.

Last edited:
Just popped in to say thanks for "Swolediers". Brilliance.

Will follow your log from now on.

Thanks man, your log is always an interesting read so I'm happy to contribute.

And I am always happy when new people contribute- especially with such quality. So everyone is a winner.

Missed a few days at the gym. I lost a friend late last week and I just couldn't bring myself to go workout.

Squat:

45x5x2
135x5
155x5
185x2
225x2
265x5x2
245x5

I probably could have gutted out thelast set with 265, but mentally I'm still not quite there. This was a bummer because I felt mentally weak as well as physically.

Press:

45x5x2
95x5
125x3
145x2
155x5x3

Deadlift:

135x5
135x5
185x5
275x2
290x2
330x5

I didn't bother moving up the weight on deadlift. I'd lost a little bit of weight (~5 pounds) and was just not feeling strong mentally or physically today.

This has been a rough little while for me, even without the loss of a friend I've been stressed taking 6 classes to finish my degree and working everyday and a pretty high stress job.

But I've had my moment of self pity. I'm going to go home, eat some chicken, drink some milk, sleep and then go hard on Wednesday and hopefully push past these feelings.

Back to the gym!

Had about a week off for travel to the funeral. Spent the time out of the gym as productively as possible. I noticed a pretty bad butt wink in my squats, so I did a ton of bodyweight squats and stretching over the week, which paid some dividends.

Squat

45x5
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
255x5
265x5x2

Press

45x5
45x5
85x5
125x3
135x5
155x4
145x5

Deadlift

135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x5

Sorry to hear about your friend. Glad you're back in the gym and hope it helps you relieve all the stress.

I've been crazy busy with school and work so I haven't had time to log.

I've changed from Starting Strength to 5/3/1 purely because I don't have as much time to be in the gym and my SS workouts were generally very long. 4 shorter workouts just makes more sense for me and life right now.

Also, I went to the doctor who asked that I add some hypertrophy to my workouts. Apparently building up the muscles around the shoulder I injured will decrease the likelihood of a dislocation from the SLAP lesion, and muscle in the quads will help prevent my kneecap from moving. I've never heard of this before but I have no reason not to believe him. For this reason I'll be adding in the BBB assistance template, unless someone can suggest something better?

So here's the work I neglected to log:

Squat (April 2/13):

110x5
140x5
165x3
180x5
210x5
235x7

165x10x5

This didn't feel too bad, the squat volume for BBB seems like it might help with technique as well.

Bench (April 3/13):

100x5
120x5
145x3
160x5
185x5
210x11

155x10x5

Deadlift (April 5/13):

130x5
165x5
200x3
215x5
250x5
280x8

205x10x5

I'll be headed to the gym for press later today. Also, the big lifts app for iPhone is a lifesaver.

Press (April 7/13):

55x5
70x5
85x3
90x5
105x5
120x8

90x10x5

Chins 5x10

Back