Hipster Church finds success in NYC

Also, if you hope to engage in meaningful banter or an actual discussion try not to be such a dick.

Your smarmy tone is dripping off every letter you type.

You're the one who didn't even watch the video, made glaringly bad assumptions, and then got butt hurt.

Also, Renly's dead man.

Stannis forever.

I'm not even Christian, but Joel Osteen's blatant materialism is really jarring. It makes me mad that he's not criticized more for being a hypocrite.

Last edited:
You're the one who didn't even watch the video, made glaringly bad assumptions, and then got butt hurt.

Also, Renly's dead man.

Stannis forever.

If you think the "only in New Yawk" comment was made to be taken literally then that is your problem. I was more alluding to the fact that an establishment like this can only really strive in a place like NY... because of the large population of those who would subscribe to this nonsense. You really think a 'church' like this could exist in Arkansas or Kentucky?

I'm not butthurt however I think your abrasiveness is not conducive for a discussion outside of the norm 'derp butthurt' or 'derp you mad?'.

And again, the televangelists of the 1980's (as prevalent as they were) have largely died out and are hardly still a relevant talking point. I think there are some definite parallels between the two but all in all I think this hipster church is much different than Rick Young or Ed Warren. Obviously they're both financially motivated but how they operate are quite different.

More of dudebro douchebag than a hipster IMO.

If you think the "only in New Yawk" comment was made to be taken literally then that is your problem. I was more alluding to the fact that an establishment like this can only really strive in a place like NY... because of the large population of those who would subscribe to this nonsense. You really think a 'church' like this could exist in Arkansas or Kentucky?

I'm not butthurt however I think your abrasiveness is not conducive for a discussion outside of the norm 'derp butthurt' or 'derp you mad?'.

And again, the televangelists of the 1980's (as prevalent as they were) have largely died out and are hardly still a relevant talking point. I think there are some definite parallels between the two but all in all I think this hipster church is much different than Rick Young or Ed Warren. Obviously they're both financially motivated but how they operate are quite different.

Lifechurch in Oklahoma has a weekly attendance of 21,000 and an annual budget of 32 million. For profit churches exist everywhere. This guy doesn't even have really high % to overall population numbers when you consider just how large the new york metro area is.

At this point i'm not even sure if you can stand by what you initially wrote.

Didn't even watch.

Yes, that's a great way to start off a discussion.

Saw the photo, read the title, that's more than enough to deduce that he's an uber douche taking advantage of stupid people.

He may be an uber douche. But my point was there are uber douches everywhere trying to take advantage of stupid people. That includes the catholic church and newer mega churches.

Only in New Yawk.

This is a qualifying statement. Qualifying statements are made to de-generalize something you said. If you didn't mean it then you should have clarified. But since you didn't even watch the video I'm going to assume you didn't plan to spend as much time in this thread as you thought until you became butthurt about what I posted in response. So no, it's not Only in New Yawk and you can't defend that anymore.

i don't understand what makes him a hipster. he's just young and dresses sort of fashionably. i don't think that's what a hipster is. but then again i never know what people mean when they drop that label.

Lifechurch in Oklahoma has a weekly attendance of 21,000 and an annual budget of 32 million. For profit churches exist everywhere. This guy doesn't even have really high % to overall population numbers when you consider just how large the new york metro area is.

At this point i'm not even sure if you can stand by what you initially wrote.

Yes, that's a great way to start off a discussion.

He may be an uber douche. But my point was there are uber douches everywhere trying to take advantage of stupid people. That includes the catholic church and newer mega churches.

This is a qualifying statement. Qualifying statements are made to de-generalize something you said. If you didn't mean it then you should have clarified. But since you didn't even watch the video I'm going to assume you didn't plan to spend as much time in this thread as you thought until you became butthurt about what I posted in response. So no, it's not Only in New Yawk and you can't defend that anymore.

You got me there.

Alright alright, I concede,you do make a good point.

sad_jon_snow.gif

I'll show myself the back button (door).

Back