Hipster Church finds success in NYC

Jimmy Tuna**

Red Belt
Reaction score

1523195_731870713514594_1360717467_o.jpg

carljustin.jpg

He's attracted a celebrity following.

Didn't even watch.

Saw the photo, read the title, that's more than enough to deduce that he's an uber douche taking advantage of stupid people.

Only in New Yawk.

Did he put stickers on the Bible?

I didn't even realize that.

Didn't even watch.

Saw the photo, read the title, that's more than enough to deduce that he's an uber douche taking advantage of stupid people.

Only in New Yawk.

Only in New Yawk? Have you never heard of a church before?

1zq4npd.gif

i want this to happen to the church

Only in New Yawk? Have you never heard of a church before?

I've been through the bible belt plenty of times and have yet to come across any fuckery of this sort.

Granted, if you're looking at it from a very black and white perspective I can see how you'd think they're one in the same.

I've been through the bible belt plenty of times and have yet to come across any fuckery of this sort.

Granted, if you're looking at it from a very black and white perspective I can see how you'd think they're one in the same.

Jesus is dead man. I'm talking about people who set up institutions in his name. Again, have you never heard of a church before?

Jesus is dead man. I'm talking about people who set up institutions in his name. Again, have you never heard of a church before?

well, he died and was resurrected. churches are set up to worship god.

I would like to see your scientific evidence proving god does not exist

I will give you time to go watch some youtube videos so you can find some asshats to parrot

Again, do you not realize that's an absurdly narrow view point on the matter?

If you honestly believe some Midwest church on the side of a road compares to this then I honestly don't know.

I'm not defending more orthodox churches however I believe the message they 'preach' and the way they go about doing so is much different than this. Not saying its better, but I've not see many common churches that have such elaborate stage shows and celebrity endorsements.

Again, do you not realize that's an absurdly narrow view point on the matter?

If you honestly believe some Midwest church on the side of a road compares to this then I honestly don't know.

I'm not defending more orthodox churches however I believe the message they 'preach' and the way they go about doing so is much different than this. Not saying its better, but I've not see many common churches that have such elaborate stage shows and celebrity endorsements.

Have you never seen the Catholic church's palaces? The Vatican? The biggest and richest church in the world? Have you not seen their gold lined robes? Have you not seen the payouts they give for touching children? Again, are you new to churches?

well, he died and was resurrected. churches are set up to worship god.

I would like to see your scientific evidence proving god does not exist

I will give you time to go watch some youtube videos so you can find some asshats to parrot

You're all over the place. Come back when you can comprehend what i'm alluding to. Which may be never, so don't come back. Also, show me the scientific evidence of resurrection. I'm waiting.

This guy doesn't seem like a hipster nor does the music in his church seem like what they would normally like. Kevin Durant and Justin Bieber aren't hipsters. I think this is just a case of anyone young, white, and not particularly suburban "Middle America" being called a hipster. Then "hipster" doesn't really mean anything it has no bite.

Anyway I'm not a Christian BUT whatever works for them. A lot of kids today have no direction and no community. They could do (and usually do do) a lot worse than this guy.

Have you never seen the Catholic church's palaces? The Vatican? The biggest and richest church in the world? Have you not seen their gold lined robes? Have you not seen the payouts they give for touching children? Again, are you new to churches?

You're using one of the oldest religious constructs to base your argument around, which is completely off bases considering its a unique structure in its own regard and is far from the norm. While the way they go about their business and handle things isn't to my liking its not really comparable to this.

This church is specifically designed and created to attract a younger crowd, and the fact that its specifically designed to reach out to a certain group of individuals proves its more business oriented than anything else, which is a problem.

This sort of thing is clearly more prevalent in big cities filled with many many plebs (like NY), which is the only point I'm trying to get across. This is hardly comparable to your run of the mill church. Which is why your question 'are you familiar with churches' is not only quite annoying but way off base.

You're all over the place. Come back when you can comprehend what i'm alluding to. Which may be never, so don't come back. Also, show me the scientific evidence of resurrection. I'm waiting.

Also, if you hope to engage in meaningful banter or an actual discussion try not to be such a dick.

Your smarmy tone is dripping off every letter you type.

You're using one of the oldest religious constructs to base your argument around

Joel Osteen, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Benny Hinn....the list goes on. They all struck it rich catering to morons.

This guy doesn't seem like a hipster nor does the music in his church seem like what they would normally like. Kevin Durant and Justin Bieber aren't hipsters. I think this is just a case of anyone young, white, and not particularly suburban "Middle America" being called a hipster. Then "hipster" doesn't really mean anything it has no bite.

Anyway I'm not a Christian BUT whatever works for them. A lot of kids today have no direction and no community. They could do (and usually do do) a lot worse than this guy.

I agree with this for the most part, the term hipster gets thrown around so often for so many reasons, it's essentially lost most if not all of it's impact. To me, this just seems like a youth pastor attempting to "rap" with the kids to bring in a greater audience. I also agree that there are much worse things you could be doing as a kid.

Joel Osteen, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Benny Hinn....the list goes on. They all struck it rich catering to morons.

Right, and those men tie right into this.

There have always been those who've used religion as a means of improving themselvs financially.

It will always occur, its impossible to stop.

However I would disagree that its the norm and to toss any church into that category simply 'because' seems like an absurd generalization.

You're using one of the oldest religious constructs to base your argument around, which is completely off bases considering its a unique structure in its own regard and is far from the norm. While the way they go about their business and handle things isn't to my liking its not really comparable to this.

First of all, again, the Catholic Church is the oldest and wealthiest, and largest church. They touch kids everywhere.

This church is specifically designed and created to attract a younger crowd, and the fact that its specifically designed to reach out to a certain group of individuals proves its more business oriented than anything else, which is a problem.

Have you never heard of a mega church before? Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, Ed Young? If you think this church is the first church to ever try to make a profit, you are mistaken.

This sort of thing is clearly more prevalent in big cities filled with many many plebs (like NY), which is the only point I'm trying to get across. This is hardly comparable to your run of the mill church. Which is why your question 'are you familiar with churches' is not only quite annoying but way off base.

So not only in New Yawk. Well it's nice to not you've been educated in this thread.

Back