HIIT vs. Sprints

rl692

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I already have one day designated to hill sprints, but instead of doing 2x week hills, I want to add a 2nd day of either just flat track sprints (100-400m) or HITT (jog curves "sprint" straight for 2-4 miles). Which would be better to do for just overall conditioning, fat loss and grappling? Sprints I can go 100% each with rest. HIIT obviously you try to sprint, but you get drained and can't go 100%. I also do long steady runs 2x week or so along with tire flips in as well.

You will probably burn more calories doing the HIIT. So for weight loss, that.

For conditioning... well, real sprints are really about power output and a little power endurance. HIIT with long work periods is more like threshold training- being able to maintain good power output for extended periods of time when beyond what your aerobic system can maintain. It partly depends on your needs/relative weakness and maybe also your style.

The only thing is that anaerobic work is quite sports/movement specific. So if you are doing sprints and running HIIT then you will build your endurance and power while running. Transfer to other activities (like pushing, pullling, carrying) probably will be held back or reduced somewhat. People here argue here about whether you should be trying to do sports-specific conditioning or just do your sport more- but there's no doubt that with anaerobic work the more similar the movement to your sport, the greater the carryover should be.

For conditioning... well, real sprints are really about power output and a little power endurance. HIIT with long work periods is more like threshold training- being able to maintain good power output for extended periods of time when beyond what your aerobic system can maintain. It partly depends on your needs/relative weakness and maybe also your style.

The only thing is that anaerobic work is quite sports/movement specific. So if you are doing sprints and running HIIT then you will build your endurance and power while running. Transfer to other activities (like pushing, pullling, carrying) probably will be held back or reduced somewhat. People here argue here about whether you should be trying to do sports-specific conditioning or just do your sport more- but there's no doubt that with anaerobic work the more similar the movement to your sport, the greater the carryover should be.
So jogging curves/sprinting straights would be best?

You might want to try one of these to add in some overall conditioning, and an element of strength & power:

Hill sprints + 10 kettlebell swings at the top x 5-10

or if you're set on the track:

100M sprint + 10 kb swings at finish/walk or jog back/repeat x 10

These aren't mine btw, they're from TB2. There are a couple similar versions using 400m/800m sprints + burpees & kbs if you want a longer distance.

I can definitely see the first one being very applicable to grappling. Pre-fatigue from the hill sprint, and then use a medium/heavy bell at the top for swings.

Jogging curves, sprinting straights is awesome as long as you do enough straights.

You might want to try one of these to add in some overall conditioning, and an element of strength & power:

Hill sprints + 10 kettlebell swings at the top x 5-10

or if you're set on the track:

100M sprint + 10 kb swings at finish/walk or jog back/repeat x 10

These aren't mine btw, they're from TB2. There are a couple similar versions using 400m/800m sprints + burpees & kbs if you want a longer distance.

I can definitely see the first one being very applicable to grappling. Pre-fatigue from the hill sprint, and then use a medium/heavy bell at the top for swings.

What about 100m sprint then tire flips instead of kbs?

Yup that would work. Or even:

400m + tire flips / 4-6 rounds
400s will give you more anaerobic lactic, the 100s more alactic.

Is hard to exactly emulate what your sport is about but sprints make me feel a very similar kind of fatigue I have when I am doing a hard match in Judo , I am not high level but feel are pretty good for either Muay Thai and Judo...also they are free !

So jogging curves/sprinting straights would be best?

I think you are missing the main take away point from his post which was the sport specific movements. The HIIT you described would be better than straight sprints but why not incorporate different movements into the HIIT instead of straight jogging a sprints.

Why not a traditional circuit with Bodyweight movements focusing on pushing and pulling.

You use more than just your legs for grappling no?

Back