High roundhouse kick

theTKDman

White Belt
Reaction score
I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice when it comes to high roundhouses. I have a large taekwon-do backround and started doing muay thai. I think the muay thai roundhouse is far more effective and was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step in detail or maybe a video of some properly thrown muay thai roundhouses. I find their followthrough more effective than the TKD "snap".

Really focus on your hips. I find TKD kicks tend to, because of the focus on the snap, de-emphasize the torque you can generate from a more Muay Thai styled kick. One thing I've learned is to focus on what I think of as "unhinging the hip." Really extend your hip and torque it strongly, focusing on the follow through and pushing your leg out as far as you can. I think of literally stretching my leg out and opening up my body as I hammer through with the kick. As a TKD stylist, where the focus is all on the snap and bringing the kick back, the change to Muay Thai made me realize how much power you can generate with your legs

Thanks a lot. I think it has a lot to do with how you visualize yourself throwing the kick like you said. I can see how it should be done... but I have TKD habits built in. I appreciate the help.

Yeh , its hard switching from TKD to Muay Thai, I dont wanna brag but I actually just ogt my black belt in Tae Kwon Do and its really hard to switch to kicking with your shins, You should watch some Cro-Cop tapes, he hits his opponent with his foot but pushes off their head after he hits, IF your any good at TKD those kicks will b easy as a drunk chick on friday night

and I quote from happy gilmore "its all in the hips" also, learn to develop a mindset of hitting with your shin.

Maybe something else to remember is that if you were to miss your target you pretty much spin 360 degrees because you will have so much momentum.

They teach you to "snap" in TKD in your early stages of learning to teach you the mechanics of the kick. But to apply a good roundhouse, you need to add the hips to your snap. At the moment where your leg is brought up and chambered, you have to pivot with your base leg and twist your hips as your leg unfurls. Also remember to kick "through" your target. Your kick doesn't stop its momentum at the point of impact. It kicks through it. That's where you get power in kicks. But don't think that TKD is only snap kicking. As you progress, they teach you all of this.

use your hips and follow through. those TKD habits will fade in time.

Who came up with the idea that you don't twist your hips in TKD?

What sort of shitty schools do you have over there?

TKD kicks are ALL hip.

Imagine your foot's a ball & your legs a piece of string, you can only use your hips momentum to move the ball. So you effectively whip it round, pivot your hips, followed by your planted foot ( which should be facing 180deg to its original position, at the end of the movement) To begin with relax your leg & you'll find you generate a lot more power.

A good way of generating rotation & power is to have someone stand infront of you with thai pads, you facing them. They take two steps to their right (assuming your kicking with your right) you continue facing the original position. You then kick the pad & return to your original position.
This technique really does bring on your kicking power on quickly, because if someone is infront of you, you're literally trying to kick through them.

pistachio22 - the drill you just described is perfect for what Im looking for. Thanks for the great response.

TKD kicks are hip and knee snap, MT kicks are swinging arcs, its probably best to incorporate elements of both.

Glad to be of service. :D

Just remember the kick doesn't stop at the opponent, it stops 3 feet to the side of them.
Soon you'll be chopping them down like you were swinging an axe.

LIKe evil eye GOuger said TKD teaches getting power from your hips so I dont know what you learned from them......your a balck belt and they havent tought you that? I learnd that like the second week of tkd.

theTKDman said:
I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice when it comes to high roundhouses. I have a large taekwon-do backround and started doing muay thai. I think the muay thai roundhouse is far more effective and was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step in detail or maybe a video of some properly thrown muay thai roundhouses. I find their followthrough more effective than the TKD "snap".

Use your TKD background to your advantage. you've been kicking a certain way for a while now. Why change something you do well?

TKD kicks have PLENTY of power. Cro Cop uses TKD style kicks where he chambers and makes contact with his instep. Still, he KOs people with one kick.

Take other things from MT like the infamous MT low kick and clinch. Keep your mid and high roundhosu ekick.

Cro-Cop just started to focus on TKD, and TKD kicks dont have near as much power as a MT kick I promise. Just trust me on this fellas' TKD has no where near as much power.

Muerto, im not making fun of you by saying this, go kick a base ball bat and try and brake it using strictly a TKD kick and tell me how it goes. I say a guy round house MT style and go though it with relative ease.

ACR4V3N said:
Cro-Cop just started to focus on TKD, and TKD kicks dont have near as much power as a MT kick I promise. Just trust me on this fellas' TKD has no where near as much power.

Muerto, im not making fun of you by saying this, go kick a base ball bat and try and brake it using strictly a TKD kick and tell me how it goes. I say a guy round house MT style and go though it with relative ease.

Please do some research. I JUST saw my friend break a bat for his 3rd dan promotion test. Don't tell me it can't be done.

MT kicks have more power than TKD kicks. Everybody knows that. By a lot? No. TKD kicks have enough power.

a tkd roundhouse to a karate roundhouse to a kickboxing roundhouse to a muay thai roundhouse are the same, if they dont hurt your doing it wrong no matter what style you choose to learn it in, only difference between a tkd kick in sparring and a muay thai in sparring is tkd does it to gain points so they do it as fast as possible, which means you dont torque ur hip as much to get the full power, muay thai u try to actually hurt the oponent, but if your trying to do it to tear any guys head off, all roundhouses are exactly the same

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Who came up with the idea that you don't twist your hips in TKD?

What sort of shitty schools do you have over there?

TKD kicks are ALL hip.

Glad you mentioned the hips. I wonder if they have Quarter Pounders at those McDojos.

Big_One said:
Glad you mentioned the hips. I wonder if they have Quarter Pounders at those McDojos.

lol... nice one.

I also find it funny when people refer to WTF TKD as 'a game of tap tag'.

Back