High roundhouse kick

if you have a TKD background and wish to get into THaiboxing,
go from sport TKD to old school TKD back to almost like Karate roots
like the Kyokushin Karate guys, and you will begin to kick more like a Thaiboxer
but you will naturally transform into it rather than have to relearn some new style.

The link between TKD and Thaiboxing is Kyokushin Karate, or why not,
Hee Il Cho.

ACR4V3N said:
Cro-Cop just started to focus on TKD, and TKD kicks dont have near as much power as a MT kick I promise. Just trust me on this fellas' TKD has no where near as much power.
Cro Cop STARTED in TKD, he did not just start to focus on it.

Muerto, im not making fun of you by saying this, go kick a base ball bat and try and brake it using strictly a TKD kick and tell me how it goes. I say a guy round house MT style and go though it with relative ease.
I saw a TKD guy kick through two baseball bats. What is this, a pissing contest?

Of course you can break a bat with a TKD kick. Of course, you would use your shin for this, because it is the more natural striking surface for such a power break.

I think the problem is that you don't have a clear understanding of what a TKD kick is. You think about point karate roundhouse with the instep and think that it's all there is to a kicking art like TKD.

ignoring the flaming between styles, try this

widen your stance, and if you are kicking with your right leg, take a little step to your left with your left foot and vice versa, if you watch cro cop and hoost (well hoost for lowkicks) they do this. That will help you get used to the second part, which is just whipping your legs around. Dont worry about a chamber although you dont want your leg complteley straigh either, just envision throwing yourleg at your target with a little snap of the knee at the end and hittin with the lower part of the shin. Relatively easy to learn.

What the hell's the big deal?

Instep carries awesome power too. If instep is good enough for Cro Cop it's good enough for everyone.

Muerto said:
If instep is good enough for Cro Cop it's good enough for everyone.

...because CroCop is just so average and run-of-the-mill...:rolleyes:

MT practioners insist on using the shin for low kicks...but many are perfectly comfortable throwing instep kicks to the jaw. Some prefer using the shin for the high kick while others use the instep.

Low kicks are much harder and can be blocked hard with the knee or shin....a upper shin block against an instep kick kind of reverses the damage.

If you fight like Crocop, you would and should be labelled a kickboxer which for the most part is MT minus clinching/elbows + more western boxing.

a tkd roundhouse to a karate roundhouse to a kickboxing roundhouse to a muay thai roundhouse are the same, if they dont hurt your doing it wrong no matter what style you choose to learn it in, only difference between a tkd kick in sparring and a muay thai in sparring is tkd does it to gain points so they do it as fast as possible, which means you dont torque ur hip as much to get the full power, muay thai u try to actually hurt the oponent, but if your trying to do it to tear any guys head off, all roundhouses are exactly the same

Thats so stupid I shouldnt even have to say what im about to say.

They are completely different in that one chambers for speed but loses power, and the other uses the whole hip with no chamber to get alot of power.

ACR4V3N said:
Thats so stupid I shouldnt even have to say what im about to say.

They are completely different in that one chambers for speed but loses power, and the other uses the whole hip with no chamber to get alot of power.
Chamber doesn't mean you lose power.

Not always but it can easly.

If you were to take a pole and swing and hit someone it will hurt alot.

If you were to take a pole and put a hinge on it and swing it to where it bends back some and then hits them it will hurt, sure, but not nearly as bad.

In away this happens when you chamber.
(this is what respectable trains have told me, the kind that have trained TKD and liked it and MT, both for years and years)

theTKDman said:
I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice when it comes to high roundhouses. I have a large taekwon-do backround and started doing muay thai. I think the muay thai roundhouse is far more effective and was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step in detail or maybe a video of some properly thrown muay thai roundhouses. I find their followthrough more effective than the TKD "snap".

I had trouble going for the Big KO kicks because of my TKD background, what you really need to do is swing your hips and kick through your target dont snap your leg back, just push as hard as you can, its not easy to set up either , I like to throw left jab, left ,left , right high kick and so on trick em into thinking your gonna hit them in the stomach or leg

ACR4V3N said:
Not always but it can easly.

If you were to take a pole and swing and hit someone it will hurt alot.

If you were to take a pole and put a hinge on it and swing it to where it bends back some and then hits them it will hurt, sure, but not nearly as bad.
This is a completely different issue and not comparable at all.

This is because you assume that the entire kick power comes from the momentum.

In a chambered kick, your leg is not hinged, it actively extends on top of the rotation of the hips. It is this active muscle pull, together with the momentum, that generates the power.

As far as I know all Muay Thai roundhouses are traditionally done with the shin, the high ones were aimed more for the neck = break/death (martial history used to be my pet hobby)

I was always taught not to kick with my foot, cus it sure is a nuisance trying to fight on one leg once you've broken it.

Wouldn't kicking through a baseball bat (which can be done with tkd kicks) have a lot to do with shin conditioning not just out and out power associated with a particular style of kicking.

Back