High rep olympic lifts for endurance

power44

Orange Belt
Reaction score
would it be good to do high reps for olympic lifts for conditioning. Maybe for timed reps??

yea old track and frield throwers/shot putters would do upwords of 50 reps of a given olympic lift for endurance training...

actually oly lifts (particularly snatches) are a lot of fun for cardio. however, I wouldn't just try doing them rep after rep after rep after rep. try something like 10-12 sets of 3, or 15 sets of 2 with less than 30 seconds rest in between sets.

how many reps are we talking here? Remember that you must keep your form right as that will be the first to breakdown.

BabyPhenom said:
how many reps are we talking here? Remember that you must keep your form right as that will be the first to breakdown.

I agree. Form breakdown can cause an injury even with light weight.

what i use to do was do my regular workout, say 5 sets of 3, of cleans or snatch or whatever and then drop the weight by like 60 or 70% and do a set or two of 15. it negates the explosive effect that you do O lifts for but it killed the the grip, traps, and legs and was good for mental toughness too.

I just had an Urban-like moment.

I was reading the thread, thinking, "Eh, I prefer the Ultimate Burpee," then lightning struck, and I thought, "Wait a minute...why not both?"

So you do your C&J, right, but when you return the bar to the floor, you kick back you legs and do your push-up (or two) with the bar still in your hands. Because the weights are still on it, you'll also have to spend extra energy stabilizing so the bar won't roll out. The ROM won't be great, but because of the angle, you'll hit the pectoralis minor a bit better (which is usually the more neglected of my chest region since I don't dip much).

What do you guys think?

Madmick said:

I was reading the thread, thinking, "Eh, I prefer the Ultimate Burpee," then lightning struck, and I thought, "Wait a minute...why not both?"

So you do your C&J, right, but when you return the bar to the floor, you kick back you legs and do your push-up (or two) with the bar still in your hands. Because the weights are still on it, you'll also have to spend extra energy stabilizing so the bar won't roll out. The ROM won't be great, but because of the angle, you'll hit the pectoralis minor a bit better (which I is usually the more neglected of my chest region since I don't dip much).

What do you guys think?

That is actually quite profound. The abs would get a bit of a workout too. Good insight.

Madmick said:

So you do your C&J, right, but when you return the bar to the floor, you kick back you legs and do your push-up (or two) with the bar still in your hands. Because the weights are still on it, you'll also have to spend extra energy stabilizing so the bar won't roll out. The ROM won't be great, but because of the angle, you'll hit the pectoralis minor a bit better (which is usually the more neglected of my chest region since I don't dip much).

What do you guys think?
I beleive I mentioned this in my review of Ross's latest book "Infinite intensity" but yeah, it's a great exercise. Do it with a sandbag for some extra hell.

Urban said:
I beleive I mentioned this in my review of Ross's latest book "Infinite intensity" but yeah, it's a great exercise. Do it with a sandbag for some extra hell.

Yeah, I learned about the ultimate burpee from that link you gave. '

But you've seen in combined with a weighted bar before? If you linked that, I missed it. I thought this was a Madmick original.

Madmick

What do you guys think?

I saw some hockey players do this on a news reports. This trainer who's name is T R Goodman i think, was making them do it. It looks like a good exercise.

you could do sets of 1000 if you wanted to but you have you have to change the movement every 2 or 3 reps rather than doing the same exercise for the entire set. Your joints will thank you because you be wearing out your joints if your technique isn't perfect. it's basic complex training and it works well. your limit lifts won't be much higher but I found training like this for eight months straight made my joints a lot tougher.

instead of counting reps, you could also set stop watch and do complexes in rounds. I do 3, 5, 10, 15, or 30 minute rounds, depending on the weight used.

RedmanWrestler said:
Madmick said:
Madmick

What do you guys think?

I saw some hockey players do this on a news reports. This trainer who's name is T R Goodman i think, was making them do it. It looks like a good exercise.

Yeah, I just found a Mike Mahler article (that looks pretty old) with a kettlebell variation of this lift. Oh well.
http://www.athletes.com/fun/mahler46.htm

Back