high pulls vs upright rows

killer_kicks88

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
i have heard many people (including my PT and rehab instructor) say that upright rows are bad for you, but many people say that high pulls is a good alternative...how are high pulls safer for the shoulder girdle?

They aren't done with as close as a grip which makes them safer since they don't impinge your rotator cufs the way upright rows would

I've found most of the effort in a high pull is at the bottom of the lift (before your elbows get to 90 degrees), after that initial explosion you're pretty much just guiding the bar. This is significant because it's not until your arms go past 90 degrees (or when the bar passes your lower ribs) that it starts to put your shoulder in a compromised position. plus, you get to use more weight with high pulls, and more weight is always a good thing.

Try them out. I can for sure feel the difference. I don't feel any strain in my shoulders at all doing high pulls, while I did doing upright rows.

I started doing them last week and they are growing to be my new favorite lift.

God that video reaked of man butthole and vaseline. Put your pinkies on the rings when you highpull, and use a goddamn barbell.

Yep that was sad.
Use real weights kids.

The way I think of high pulls is just like a clean, but without the catch. So I use a clean grip.

How far should I pull the weight up when doing this exercise? I tried them last week and got them to the lower part of my chest. Is that good?

no, I strive for eye level. of course I use my snatch max with these, so it's not overwhelmingly heavy.

I'd say eye level is way too high for most people. No pull should be going to eye level, not a clean, not a snatch, and CERTAINLY not a high pull.

Go to the sternum/xyphoid process. On thing that is commonly recommended is putting bungies with bells attached to them in a power rack at the desired height, so you pull until you hear jinggling to get uniform height.

Urban you're so gay.

CarnalSalvation said:
God that video reaked of man butthole and vaseline. Put your pinkies on the rings when you highpull, and use a goddamn barbell.

Good ta have ya back, man-whore!

I usually pull to around your mom's clavicle.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!

All I have to say is Kieth Wassung did it, and if that mustache of his doesn't mean it's macho, I dunno what is.

I mean, it's almost as macho as Rob Halford in a leather police hat.

Ok Carnal, dam, for a minute I thought I was going way to low on these. I only pull them to about the bottom of my chest. Eye level? Sounds a bit scary. Stack on some more weight and try going to around your sternum/lower chest area and see if you like the results. I would be interested to see what you think of them. You should be able to handle alot more weight doing them this way.

Like I said, I use high pulls to better my snatch. I load it up with my 1 rm snatch and pull as hard as I can for triples. So when you're using a weight that's supposed to end up overhead eye level isn't so outlandish. But nobody has ever told me how to do them. Maybe that is too high. However, I'm finding that simply practicing my snatches yields better results anyways, so they're out of rotation right now.

Urban said:
Like I said, I use high pulls to better my snatch. I load it up with my 1 rm snatch and pull as hard as I can for triples. So when you're using a weight that's supposed to end up overhead eye level isn't so outlandish. But nobody has ever told me how to do them. Maybe that is too high. However, I'm finding that simply practicing my snatches yields better results anyways, so they're out of rotation right now.
Well, Dreschler divides just the pull into six phases:
1) Pre Lift-Off
2) Preliminary Acceleration
3) Adjustment
4) Final Acceleration
5) Unsupported Squat Under
6) Supported Squat Under

Wait, I got distracted, I'll be back to finish this.

CarnalSalvation said:
When he was doing that suplex style movement was anyone else hoping the band would snap and cause possibly one of the greatest moments ever caught on tape.

Back