• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hiding/setting up the right hand

RightHandLead

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
what are some good ways to set up the right hand without opponent seeing it?

also any ways to correct the bow and arrow bad habit ala jermain taylor where your right hand comes back when jabbing? horrible habit i picked up from somewhere.

Something I'm currently working on: use the left hand to see where the opponent likes to move. Quickly try to recognize his habits and put your right hand into the position his head is going to be.

also any ways to correct the bow and arrow bad habit ala jermain taylor where your right hand comes back when jabbing? horrible habit i picked up from somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJr1c_LGl9U

On your second question. Repeat it slowly in the mirror for a LOT of rounds. Ask your coach to slap you with the pads when you do it. Work only on that technique on the bag for a Lot of rounds and say to yourself don't do it :).

You could try a band around your elbow of your right hand tied to something behind you. If you attempt to draw back your bow you're be pulled backwards.

As for setting up the right hand, double jab to blind them is always good. And switch up your combos so it's not always a 1-2. Try a 1-3-2. Also could try doubling up on the right. The first one they'll block but the second is pretty unexpected.

I like what Cyclone Mike said about setting it up. To add to that, do what I call sneaking your lead foot into position. If you can get your lead foot close to them and inbetween their feet without them noticing and without bringing your head forward, you can throw your right hand before they realize they're in range of it. This works especially well if you're active with your lead hand.

I like what Cyclone Mike said about setting it up. To add to that, do what I call sneaking your lead foot into position. If you can get your lead foot close to them and inbetween their feet without them noticing and without bringing your head forward, you can throw your right hand before they realize they're in range of it. This works especially well if you're active with your lead hand.

This works very well.

Sinister made a great post on the topic in the fencing thread. And as others said, making sure your lead foot is in range is important as well. Using feints and your lead hand is a good way to set your opponent up. I personally like and use often a feint to the body to open the head.

[YT]YqOJp9Wmayo[/YT]
[YT]SHwPBTDDp00[/YT]

Videos of two masters of the sport, converge on the same principle. Watch how Floyd demonstrates his break in rhythm when he throws that right hand. You know if it was a real fight Smitty still wouldn't see it coming. This goes deeper than just your right. Timing and rhythm are greats way to mask any attack.

Re your rear hand moving during jab. Don't. You're in control. Pay attention. Practice, have someone jab counter your jab.

Re right, feint, lead, hide behind a pawing jab etc etc etc.

Feint the right and throw the left hook instead 2 or 3 times in the round, and then blast them with the straight right after that.

Just remembered another thing that could help with that. Put a squash/racket ball under your right armpit. If you pull back your right hand when you jab you'll drop the ball.

Something I'm currently working on: use the left hand to see where the opponent likes to move. Quickly try to recognize his habits and put your right hand into the position his head is going to be.

This is something I love doing especially against guys shorter than me

Back