Here is how Vai Cavalo becomes UFC World Heavyweight Champion!!

Cain is not going to stay in Werdum's guard for a long time. He will punch him in the face 2-3 times and let him get up, then rinse and repeat. Werdum is not Palhares. Overeem, Nelson, Bigfoot and even Browne went to the ground with him and did not get submitted.

Or Cain can use the clinch to land punches on Werdum.

I submit that Werdum will be in far better condition than he was when he last faced Overeem . . . his cardio was horrible that night as he apparently tried to bulk up.

His cardio for his last fight was purposely enhanced according to Kings MMA owner Rafael Cordeiro and will be even more so by fight night in November. Werdum has more selection in his BJJ game than Palhares who only seems to be a one-trick pony and he has faced much better competition too which serves to enhance his MMA repertoire.

How do you know that Cain will win the standup exchanges? He will be without his takedown threat to amplify his kickboxing in this matchup. He could get lit up by Werdum's Brazilian Muay Thai if he isn't careful because Werdum doesn't have to be concerned by takedown feints . . . only striking feints.

He could lose a clinchgrapple exchange to a Judo push/trip/pull/throw and wind up on his back.

Last time I checked Cain wasn't hard to hit either unless you are as slow as Bigfoot and we all know that Werdum is not.

Fabricio doesn't care if he gets taken down so he's free to commit a lot to his strikes.

That's going to be a factor, JDS didn't want to get put on his back vs Cain.

Pretty much like Pettis/Jones/condit they don`t fear being put on his back at all.

I submit that Werdum will be in far better condition than he was when he last faced Overeem . . . his cardio was horrible that night as he apparently tried to bulk up.

His cardio for his last fight was purposely enhanced according to Kings MMA owner Rafael Cordeiro and will be even more so by fight night in November. Werdum has more selection in his BJJ game than Palhares who only seems to be a one-trick pony and he has faced much better competition too which serves to enhance his MMA repertoire.

How do you know that Cain will win the standup exchanges? He will be without his takedown threat to amplify his kickboxing in this matchup. He could get lit up by Werdum's Brazilian Muay Thai if he isn't careful because Werdum doesn't have to be concerned by takedown feints . . . only striking feints.

He could lose a clinchgrapple exchange to a Judo push/trip/pull/throw and wind up on his back.

Last time I checked Cain wasn't hard to hit either unless you are as slow as Bigfoot and we all know that Werdum is not.

so when Werdum fought BigFoot he lit him up easily, out speeded him and finished him without breaking a sweat?? He really isnt all that much faster than BigFoot tbh and Cain is one of the fastest HWs in the game, if not the fastest.

People are sleeping on Werdum's stand-up, sadly.

Cain doesn't have knockout power, unless you chin is shot like Nog and your head is the size of a flatscreen like Bigfoot's.

Werdum is a live dog here.

lol at flatscreen and yeah I see Cain the same way I see Jones they grind the soul of figthers by gnp and volume on clinch but sure if he is a ko artist

I can't wait for this fight. I think both guys pose some interesting threats to each other and I'll be curious to see what the game plans for each guy are. I would assume Cain will try to use some dirty boxing, grind Werdum up against the cage and try to tire him out and finish him with strikes; taking Werdum down and fighting him on the floor is a risky proposition, even for a great wrestler like Cain. Cain's main advantages will be his cardio and quickness, but Werdum's striking has improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years and anybody who goes to the ground with him is at a distinct disadvantage, so it's really an interesting match-up, I think.

Hard to see how Cain doesn't win, he is simply just too good.

Werdum needs to come in some serious shape for this fight. You also have to assume he wants Cain to take him down so he should try and work a lot of kicks into this fight. He has no fear of the takedown at all so you have to think he will happily commit to his all of his strikes. He needs to avoid getting clinched against the cage though, Cain will dirty box the shit out of him and also gas him out.

I absolutely agree that Werdum should come in the best condition he can and be prepared for high-intensity dirty boxing from Cain.

He should keep the fight in the center to the cage and away from Cain's comfort zone

He should also use his BJJ and Judo superiority to stay out from under Cain's comfort zone . . . sweep him ASAP if it goes to the mat and make him fight from his guard rather than yours.

Use close combat Kings MMA to bust Cain open on the inside and make him uncomfortable in the clinch . . . back him up and see if he can handle the pressure of some blistering Muay Thai combinations in series of twos, fives and threes from both orthodox and southpaw stances :icon_twis

People are so overestimating Cain's striking advantage in the standup in this thread . . . do you realize that his striking stats are so good because opponents are terrified of his groundgame?

Big Nog has too much mileage on him to compare to Werdum and his BJJ isn't as advanced. It won't be the same result come November because Werdum is still relatively prime and Nog was never a Muay Thai guy, but a BJJ/boxer

I am trying to tell you that if Werdum wins the standup striking with his Kings MMA then Cain is going to be lost in the sauce because he doesn't want to roll with Werdum . . . no one does if they can avoid it :icon_twis

Last edited:
Pretty much like Pettis/Jones/condit they don`t fear being put on his back at all.

I think I know where you are going with this argument but consider Werdum's resume and compare it to those of Pettis, Condit and Jones?

Pettis was fishing in futility for subs off his back versus Guida when he should have been subbing to sweep into top position. Neither Condit, Pettis or Jones are even blackbelts of any note if at all . . . to my knowledge they are blue belts or less . . . so going to the mat with Werdum, a 2nd degree BJJ master, is a whole other matter

so when Werdum fought BigFoot he lit him up easily, out speeded him and finished him without breaking a sweat?? He really isnt all that much faster than BigFoot tbh and Cain is one of the fastest HWs in the game, if not the fastest.

That fight with Bigfoot was like three years ago wasn't it? He has vastly improved his Muay Thai since then my friend; he has earned his Blackbelt now and it showed in his advanced striking execution versus Browne don't you agree?

It is always an endeavor to submit a bigger opponent like Bigfoot or Browne, especially Bigfoot who has a legit Blackbelt . . . think about it

He was happy to dominate them with his superior BJJ, I remember how he swam without getting wet right out of Bigfoot's dangerous top game and reversed him.

How fast will Cain be this fall after a 13 month layoff and facing a hungry, healthy title challenger who has little, if any concerns, about his takedowns or takedown feints when they face off for striking exchanges?

One with superior grappling skills and a repertoire of Judo clinch takedowns at his disposal (pulls/trips/pushes/throws): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrício_Werdum

He isn't faster than JDS I agree but he significantly faster than Big Nog or Big Foot or Lesnar and his standup is more dangerous than theirs was too

That fight with Bigfoot was like three years ago wasn't it? He has vastly improved his Muay Thai since then my friend; he has earned his Blackbelt now and it showed in his advanced striking execution versus Browne don't you agree?

It is always an endeavor to submit a bigger opponent like Bigfoot or Browne, especially Bigfoot who has a legit Blackbelt . . . think about it

He was happy to dominate them with his superior BJJ, I remember how he swam without getting wet right out of Bigfoot's dangerous top game and reversed him.

How fast will Cain be this fall after a 13 month layoff and facing a hungry, healthy title challenger who has little, if any concerns, about his takedowns or takedown feints when they face off for striking exchanges?

One with superior grappling skills and a repertoire of Judo clinch takedowns at his disposal (pulls/trips/pushes/throws): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabrício_Werdum

He isn't faster than JDS I agree but he significantly faster than Big Nog or Big Foot or Lesnar and his standup is more dangerous than theirs was too

When did he dominate BF? From what I remember that was a very close fight....Cain by TKO in the 3rd or 4th round.......

Cain smashes Werdum in any scenario ...

i agree his standup is much improved but he is still pretty slow. Big Nog was doing fine against him standing until he decided to turn it into a grappling match. Infact Nog bullied him to the cage.....

Also Cain trains all the time with one of the best HW grapplers on the planet, Buchecha. He is no slouch there, esp when you throw GnP in the mix. I dont think Cain will play with that fire unless its later in the fight tho.

I hope the best Werdum ever shows up to fight Cain. I thnk Cain will surprise you with his kickboxing game and if Werdum gets kick happy he def will get taken down, Cain prob wont follow him down tho, make him get up over and over again. Tire him out will def be the plan. Nobody has the cardio to deal with Cains pace.

Wish on buddy. The only way Werdum becomes Ufc Hw champion is if Cain keeps having injury and lose his belt via Dominick Cruz.

Where do these guys get the impression that Cain has this fight in the bag :rolleyes:

He is in trouble on the mat because of Werdum's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

He is in trouble in the clinch because of Werdum's Judo

He is in trouble during striking exchanges because of Werdum's Brazilian Muay Thai

Cain is coming off a significant layoff of over a year by fight nite . . . he may not be ready for all the above my friend :D

Cain will be fine and win by TKO in the 3rd or 4th.

The first few rounds should be interesting though.

Cain would take him down with ease and pound him out, most likely within 1 round.

Nah man, it won't be that easy.

I can see Werdum putting up a fight for the first couple of rounds and then gets gassed from Cain's constant pressure.

I don't think that Cain is scared to take the fight to the ground. Other than that, I appreciate TS's detailed breakdown and analysis.

People are sleeping on Werdum's stand-up, sadly.

Cain doesn't have knockout power, unless you chin is shot like Nog and your head is the size of a flatscreen like Bigfoot's.

Werdum is a live dog here.

One of the biggest myths in mma. Cain destryed JDS iron jaw twice. He finishes everyone he fights with strikes.

Actually Cain might be the most proven finisher in mma history. Nobody hurts the same guys he does. Of course speed and accuracy helps but still he always gets the job done and it's often the most violent way.

Last edited:
Interesting fight on paper, but I just have a feeling cain is going to make it look easier than some of you expect.

Where do these guys get the impression that Cain has this fight in the bag :rolleyes:

He is in trouble on the mat because of Werdum's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

He is in trouble in the clinch because of Werdum's Judo

He is in trouble during striking exchanges because of Werdum's Brazilian Muay Thai

Cain is coming off a significant layoff of over a year by fight nite . . . he may not be ready for all the above my friend :D

I'm pretty sure Cain learned from his loss to JDS after coming off a huge layoff. He will make sure he is ready for this fight when they do fight.

And where do you get the impression that Werdum is going to be the next champion?

Cain has the advantages in speed, wrestling, kickboxing, dirty boxing, power, and MAJOR advantage in cardio. His only loss is to JDS and he avenged that loss in DOMINATING fashion, TWICE.

So to answer your question that is where I got the impression from. Cain > JDS > Werdum.

I honestly think it's more dangerous for Werdum if he's in guard than it is for Cain. Cain has that Fedor ability to breeze of submission attempts.

Back