HERB DEAN says Bisping/Silva were in middle of an exchange so could not stop fight for mouth piece

SkyValley

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Per his interview with Ariel Helwani on MMA hour just now. Said there must be a "lull" in the action for him to stop the fight for a lost mouthpiece. Paraphrasing but pretty much said they were in a "heated exchange" so could not stop the fight.

I dunno, seemed to me Herb had ample opportunity to stop the fight to give back Bisping his mouth piece back!

Per his interview with Ariel Helwani on MMA hour just now. Said there must be a "lull" in the action for him to stop the fight for a lost mouthpiece. Actually said they were in a "heated exchange" so could not stop the fight.

I dunno, seemed to me Herb had ample opportunity to stop the fight to give back Bisping his mouth piece back

No. I am not not a Herb fan but he did the right thing in this fight.

Silva busted up Bisping a little before the brief break. Bisping backed against the fence and Silva stood at a distance for a moment but Bispign was still hurt. It wouldn't have been fair to Silva to let Bisping off the hook at that moment.

He was right, they stalled for a second but then Anderson started pushing the pace so it wasn't the correct time.

I think Herb is one of the worst, most inconsistent refs in the game but he was right on this call

This one was all on Bisping.

One of the last things the ref tells the fighters in the center of the cage is,

"PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES."

Mike is a veteran, and should know better than to be looking at the ref and worrying about his mouthpiece when he's got someone trying to take his head off. Never get distracted like that in a fight.

Last edited:
He should have just been honest and admitted he fucked it up. Obviously Bisping was backing up toward the fence because he was trying to get his mouthpiece back, how much more of a lull in the action do you need.

Herb was completely in the right, Bisping gotta keep his eyes on the prize.

I think Herb is one of the worst, most inconsistent refs in the game but he was right on this call

Agreed except I don;t think Herb is one of the worst (only because there are some really terrible refs) but he isn't one of the best. I think he is very inconsistent and people think that he does a better job than he does because Dana praises him.

I usually cringe when I see Herb attached to a big named fight because he seems to stop fights early if a fighter that Zuffa would prefer to win hurts someone and seems to give the poster boys extra time when hurt.

This one was all on Bisping.

One of the last things the ref tells the fighters in the center of the ring is, "PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES."

Mike is a veteran, and should know better than to be looking at the ref and worrying about his mouthpiece when he's got someone trying to take his head off. Never get distracted like that in a fight.
True but I feel herb distracted him by picking up the mouth piece. Oh whale bisping won regardless. Hard earned victory.

Watch the replay, its common sense. They were in the middle of an exchange and Bisping had a crazy brain fart. Silva's shot was cheap in the 'purest' sense but perfectly within the rules. Bisping knew better.

Per his interview with Ariel Helwani on MMA hour just now. Said there must be a "lull" in the action for him to stop the fight for a lost mouthpiece. Paraphrasing but pretty much said they were in a "heated exchange" so could not stop the fight.

I dunno, seemed to me Herb had ample opportunity to stop the fight to give back Bisping his mouth piece back!

I'm beyond appalled that you've been here since 2011 and didn't know this

Herb Dean did the right thing "Perhaps Michael Bisping doesn't know the rules"

I agree with Herb. They were exchanging and the fight played out as it should have.

Bisping needs to worry about fighting. It was his fault he almost got KO'd, not Herbs

Herb doesn't even need to explain himself. Shocked so many people are so confused.

I'm beyond appalled that you've been here since 2011 and didn't know this

New
I did know that, if anything it's common sense. I just considered there to be definitely enough of a lull, and was just paraphrasing what Herb said in the interview

if it wasn't bisping we were talking about, i might agree, but i remember a dirty knee strike that a said fighter did to jorge rivera back in the day and he didn't have any problems yelling crazy stuff at rivera when the fight was stopped due to the knee and he didn't have any problems pouncing on a clearly injured fighter in rivera.

if the exchange was over then anderson wouldn't have been able to land a flying knee. he wouldn't of been close enough. the only time i've seen refs step in when a mouthpiece is out is when an exchange ends and both fighters are in a defensive posture.

Back