HERB DEAN says Bisping/Silva were in middle of an exchange so could not stop fight for mouth piece

The only signal picking up a mouthpiece sends is "Hey, there's a mouthpiece!"

It's good to remove foreign objects from the Octagon. Remember the Rogan ice freakout? It's common to all combat sports. Picking up the mouthpiece doesn't signal that he will immediately hand it back. EVERYONE understands this, Bisping included, except ... like two people on Sherdog?

Agreed except I don;t think Herb is one of the worst (only because there are some really terrible refs) but he isn't one of the best. I think he is very inconsistent and people think that he does a better job than he does because Dana praises him.

I usually cringe when I see Herb attached to a big named fight because he seems to stop fights early if a fighter that Zuffa would prefer to win hurts someone and seems to give the poster boys extra time when hurt.
I think his inconsistency is what makes him so bad but you're right, there are worse ones out there. I guess he's just the worst of the high profile refs. Either way, if i were a fighter and saw Herb Dean reffing my fight id be concerned

Bisping's fault entirely and not a cheap shot at all by Anderson. It's not his fault Michael decided to take his eyes of Anderson and look at the ref asking for his mouth piece back. He let his guard down in the middle of a fight. Anderson made him pay for it, as he should have. Of course then Anderson completely messed up by walking off and celebrating instead of sealing the deal with a follow up shot or two.

Herb sucks.

He says he couldn't stop it, but he was moving in to do just that. Then he loses all control of his octagon. Letting people run around, can't even communicate that the fight is still on. Bisping gets zero attention to his cuts. It was a debacle, and it was 90% Herb's fault. Him stutter-stepping toward Micheal was what led him to believe things were stopping for the mouthpiece. He also dropped it the first time he tried to pick it up. If you're letting the fight go to the bell, why pick it up at all! All that did was take him so far from the action that he couldn't stop things when he wanted to.

The guy can't commit to anything anymore.

"Should I stop it...err, uh, yea break BREAK"

Its always like that now.

In r4 he couldn't even start the fight properly. Fckn mumbles "fight" and nobody hears him, has to yell it again.

I've seen him reach in and touch fighters like he's going to stop the fight then change his mind and back off more than any other ref in the game.

He's either letting someone almost die, or stopping things comically early. That's his range.

People seem to be confusing Bisping wanting and trying to create a lull in the action :D for an actual lull in the action. Who can blame him...dont think there are many people that would want to fight Anderson without a mouthguard for even a second. But, that's the game he asked to play. Anderson obviously had initiative and had made a hole in Bispings defenses and was trying to capitalize. Herb made the right call.

People seem to be confusing Bisping wanting and trying to create a lull in the action :D for an actual lull in the action. Who can blame him...dont think there are many people that would want to fight Anderson without a mouthguard for even a second. But, that's the game he asked to play. Anderson obviously had initiative and had made a hole in Bispings defenses and was trying to capitalize. Herb made the right call.

1) Herb tries to pick up the piece; drops it.
2) Herb picks it up and moves toward Micheal with the piece in his hand as if he's going to stop it.
3) Herb changes his mind and stops.
4) As Micheal looks at him like "wtf", he then decides to stop it again, but doesn't yell out "break!" or "stop!", but is clearly moving to separate.
5) Just as this is happening, Silva knees Bisping has Micheal is looking at Herb, who is moving toward him with the mouthpiece in his hand.
6) As Bisping falls to the ground the horn sounds, and Herb nervously looks around like a dumbass. He swings his arms around to signal something, which is taken by both camps that the fight is over.
7) Both camps flood the octagon as if its over. Herb can't communicate that its not, and is more concerned with Anderson celebrating than he is the dozen people who should not be in the octagon at all. Micheal receives no cut attention whatsoever.
8) Herb can't get Silva to step back over the black line at the start of round 4.
9) Herb says "fight" casually, and nobody hears him. Has to yell it again. When did the clock start vs the fighting? Who knows.
10) Herb tries to cover his ass by saying he couldn't stop it, even though he was moving in to do exactly that.

This isn't the first time I've seen Herb swayed to change his mind by the look a fighter gives him. I don't care which decision he makes, but he needs to make it and stick with it, and he needs to effectively communicate which decision he has made. He needs to YELL. He needs to physically manhandle people to ensure they separate, like McCarthy does.

Back