Hendrick's skillset

JacquesFacial

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I understand the legitimacy of his anger. He was somehow promised a titleshot, he beated several good contenders, koed Fitch which is some sort of miracle. He certainly has done more than Diaz this year to get his shot.

That said, I often read here or in the media that Hendricks has a better skillset than Diaz to defeat GSP. There, i find that Hendricks's skills are a little bit overrated. He has an incredible left hand, and good wrestling credentials. But fot me he's just a left-handed josh koschek, a man that gave him a tough fight, that many thought was a draw or a victory for koscheck.

People say that due to Hendrick's wrestling, he could pose trouble for GSP. Well, Hendricks got taken down by Kos and Story, so, I really don't think that GSP will have trouble outwrestling him. The Alves, Hardy, Kos fights showed that GSP won't make the same mistake than is the Serra fight and work heavily on striking defence. Condit gave him trouble because of the variery of his striking. Hendrick just throw haymakers. Sure he lands often, but against who ? Fitch, whose striking is below average ? Kampann who is know to get hit alot ?

So, Bigg Rigg surely deserves more the titleshot this year, but I don't think he will be a real threat to GSP. At least, Diaz can get under GSP's skin, vary his punches, fight from the guard. Condit made GSP less confortable in his top control with a very active guard. Diaz will probably rest most of the fight on his back, but at least he got tools to fight in that position. That's why I think Diaz will be a tougher fight than Hendricks. I don't say Nick as heavy chance to win, but it would be a less easy win for GSP

he has explosive power, but like you, i'm not really sure his skills are actually that high relative to some of the other fighters gsp has faced and defeated

Well. He is physicaly stronger than Diaz and is a great wrestler.

He also has the ability to one punch KO anyone.

That alone makes him a much more dangerouse match up than Diaz.

Are his all around skills better than Diaz? Maybe not. But he is a much more dangerouse opponant IMO.

Well. He is physicaly stronger than Diaz and is a great wrestler.

He also has the ability to one punch KO anyone.

That alone makes him a much more dangerouse match up than Diaz.

Are his all around skills better than Diaz? Maybe not. But he is a much more dangerouse opponant IMO.

I disagree, I think TS has it mostly right. Diaz IS the better striker and can actually threaten off of his back, where they both will eventually end up against GSP. Hendricks has more power, but that is the only thing GSP has to worry about, his left hand. People always dog Nick because he doesn't use kicks and relies on his hands, but Johnny doesn't? Nobody talks about that.

Hendricks is more deserving of the title shot at this point, but it's not a complete fucking outrage like people here are crying about.

Diaz has more ways to pull the upset and better cardio to be a threat in all of the 5 rounds. Diaz will be the tougher fight for GSP.

I agree with you that Hendricks doesnt pose much of a threat to GSP, but i dont think Diaz does either, he's just that good.

all he has is the first round to land a haymaker because he will gas in the second round. George will pick him apart.

GSP ducked hendricks because of his weak chin, hendricks wouldn't respect rush's striking and KO him with ease. Diaz probably has no respect for GSP' lack of striking skill. (jab i should say) but won't ko gsp. Hendricks being a better wrassler than gsp would probably stand up or wall walk to standing. Diaz is more dangerous off his back, either way gsp loses his belt. But it's complete horse shit nick's getting the shot being away for a year and coming off a loss. GSP wants to see hendricks children go hungry. that's a major bitch move imo.

I think this fight will happen eventually, even if Hendricks loses to elenburger.

I disagree, I think TS has it mostly right. Diaz IS the better striker and can actually threaten off of his back, where they both will eventually end up against GSP. Hendricks has more power, but that is the only thing GSP has to worry about, his left hand. People always dog Nick because he doesn't use kicks and relies on his hands, but Johnny doesn't? Nobody talks about that.

Hendricks is more deserving of the title shot at this point, but it's not a complete fucking outrage like people here are crying about.

Diaz has more ways to pull the upset and better cardio to be a threat in all of the 5 rounds. Diaz will be the tougher fight for GSP.

Dont be so sure. GSP was not exactly explosive with his TDs against Condit and Hendricks is a big strong wrestler.

I agree that Diaz is the better striker, but Hendricks has the kind of power that can change or even end a fight.

The flash KO is either guys best chance at beating GSP and Hendricks is the more likely to do it.

His power is really the only thing intriguing about the fight with GSP. It would have been nice to see the Hendrick's Fitch fight go a little bit longer, so we could get a better feel for the level he is at.

Hendricks has Koscheck written all over again...

I think Nick is a bigger challenge.

Dont be so sure. GSP was not exactly explosive with his TDs against Condit and Hendricks is a big strong wrestler.

I agree that Diaz is the better striker, but Hendricks has the kind of power that can change or even end a fight.

The flash KO is either guys best chance at beating GSP and Hendricks is the more likely to do it.

I agree that Hendricks has the one punch KO power that is the most likely thing to beat GSP with, but from what i've seen, if he doesn't land that one punch in round 1 or 2, I don't see it happening.

On the other hand, you have Nick who is dangerous standing or on the ground, and in every round. And though he might not have a good chance, I think he's got a better chance over 5 rounds than Hendricks does over 1 or 2.

I agree that Hendricks has the one punch KO power that is the most likely thing to beat GSP with, but from what i've seen, if he doesn't land that one punch in round 1 or 2, I don't see it happening.

On the other hand, you have Nick who is dangerous standing or on the ground, and in every round. And though he might not have a good chance, I think he's got a better chance over 5 rounds than Hendricks does over 1 or 2.

Nick is mostly dangerouse in striking when people stand right in front of him and try and trade and even then he is not going to KO you with one punch, GSP will not do that.

When GSP puts Diaz on his back it will probobly be more of GSP gnp Diaz and avoiding the sub succesfully.

Hendricks has a better chance at getting up after being taken down.

As good of TDs GSP has, it is no guaruntee that he will take Hendricks down especially after his knee injury. I can guaruntee he can take Nick down.

Honestly I think GSP outclasses both of them, but I could see Hendricks landing a flash KO for the win before I can see Nick winning a UD.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Nick is mostly dangerouse in striking when people stand right in front of him and try and trade and even then he is not going to KO you with one punch, GSP will not do that.

When GSP puts Diaz on his back it will probobly be more of GSP gnp Diaz and avoiding the sub succesfully.

As good of TDs GSP has, it is no guaruntee that he will take Hendricks down especially after his knee injury. I can guaruntee he can take Nick down.

Honestly I think GSP outclasses both of them, but I could see Hendricks landing a flash KO for the win before I can see Nick winning a UD.

Fair points and I can see where you're coming from. I just think that GSP will have to work harder to beat Diaz because he's relentless and has great cardio.

Outside of Johnny's two big and quick KO's I don't think he's been all that impressive. The fight with Kos was tough to watch.

I don't think either has much of a chance agains GSP, but I think Nick will be the tougher challenge.

You got good points, but that leave Hendricks with only a puncher chance. And in front of GSP post-Serra, i don't think it's a real chance. I don't really see his td offense diminished in the Condit fight, but one fight prove nothing. Even if Hendricks can avoid GSP's takedowns, which is highly doubtful, or if he can get up to his feet quickly (which is still a question mark), it just lead him to a situation where GSP can double-jab his powerpunch for five rounds, like he did with Kos and Hardy. If I remember well, there was a Freddie Roach itw where he explains GSP has trained alot to annihilate powerpunchers's feats.

Sure, Hendricks can flashko GSP. But Kos, Hardy, Alves, Condit got this advantage too. It didn't affect the outcome. Sure Serra clipped him, but it was more because GSP was too arrogant, and frankly, nobody expected Serra to want to trade punches with GSP. GSP perfectly knows that Hendricks will continuoulsy launch that nuke left, often without setups. His striking ability is simply too much for Hendricks's, unless the latter heavily works on his versatility. By now he's a wrestler that fell in love with his hands. Remember that before him it happened to Rick Story and Jake Ellenberger, in the same division, in the last two years. It led them close to title contention, but inevitably their flaws were exposed.

It's true that Kos and Hendricks were not that far apart when they fought, and GSP already handled Kos twice. What has people intrigued about Hendricks right now is that he seems to have discovered the dim mak in his last two fights.

A guy literally couldn't be coming off of two more impressive wins. Tell me what accomplishment would be more impressive at welterweight right now than back to back first round one punch KO's of Kapmman and Fitch? I literally cannot think of anything (short of beating GSP, obviously).

So, yes, the hype is deserved, in my opinion.

Sure, Hendricks can flashko GSP. But Kos, Hardy, Alves, Condit got this advantage too. It didn't affect the outcome.
NONE of those guys hit as hard as Hendricks. Hendricks, right now, looks like Liddell 2.0.

Hendricks completely deserves the title shot and it's a joke that Diaz is getting it. With that said Johnny IMO gets dominated by Gsp as does Diaz. The difference is that Diaz can be dangerous off his back unlike Hendricks.

What has people intrigued about Hendricks right now is that he seems to have discovered the dim mak in his last two fights.

Disagree with the rest, but I really love that line ! :)

Hendricks hits harder than them, but power is not in the equation if he cannot land something on GSP. Sure, that's a if.

I understand the legitimacy of his anger. He was somehow promised a titleshot, he beated several good contenders, koed Fitch which is some sort of miracle. He certainly has done more than Diaz this year to get his shot.

That said, I often read here or in the media that Hendricks has a better skillset than Diaz to defeat GSP. There, i find that Hendricks's skills are a little bit overrated. He has an incredible left hand, and good wrestling credentials. But fot me he's just a left-handed josh koschek, a man that gave him a tough fight, that many thought was a draw or a victory for koscheck.

People say that due to Hendrick's wrestling, he could pose trouble for GSP. Well, Hendricks got taken down by Kos and Story, so, I really don't think that GSP will have trouble outwrestling him. The Alves, Hardy, Kos fights showed that GSP won't make the same mistake than is the Serra fight and work heavily on striking defence. Condit gave him trouble because of the variery of his striking. Hendrick just throw haymakers. Sure he lands often, but against who ? Fitch, whose striking is below average ? Kampann who is know to get hit alot ?

So, Bigg Rigg surely deserves more the titleshot this year, but I don't think he will be a real threat to GSP. At least, Diaz can get under GSP's skin, vary his punches, fight from the guard. Condit made GSP less confortable in his top control with a very active guard. Diaz will probably rest most of the fight on his back, but at least he got tools to fight in that position. That's why I think Diaz will be a tougher fight than Hendricks. I don't say Nick as heavy chance to win, but it would be a less easy win for GSP

Who promised him a title shot?

Back