Hendrick's skillset

I completely agree TS.

People also forget how bad Hendricks looked against Koscheck regardless if you thought that he won or lost.

He got pushed against the cage several times against the most predictable striker and Hendricks got tagged a lot of times.
His bottom game is also weak, he didn't do anything in the third round when Koscheck started to use his wrestling.

I would even say that GSP would submit Hendricks.

I completely agree TS.

People also forget how bad Hendricks looked against Koscheck regardless if you thought that he won or lost.

He got pushed against the cage several times against the most predictable striker and Hendricks got tagged a lot of times.
His bottom game is also weak, he didn't do anything in the third round when Koscheck started to use his wrestling.

I would even say that GSP would submit Hendricks.

So basically Hendricks performance against Kos proves Diaz is a bigger threat?

Kos would ragdoll Diaz ten time worse then he did Hendricks.

And lest not forget Koscheks signature eyepoke on Hendricks in the first round.

Last edited:
Hendricks COULD win, but I agree ts. He just seems like another guy looking for the 1 punch knockout just like everyone does against GSP because they are all afraid to open up. Condit did well because he could actually open up due to being a diverse combination striker who is comfortable on his back. Diaz is the same. The guys who wants 1 big punch never finds it against GSP because he can pick you apart and time his shots with your overcomitted haymakers.

So basically Hendricks performance against Kos proves Diaz is a bigger threat?

Kos would ragdoll Diaz ten time worse then he did Hendricks.

Yes, GSP is way more technical than Koscheck who tagged Hendricks a lot of times.
Hendricks has 1 combo that he does over and over and he offers no danger when he gets taken down.

Condit gave GSP the fight of his life and Diaz has a similar style where he has

- good striking
- tough SOB
- great cardio
- fights at a constant hard pace (Condit was the first opponent who fought back for 5 rounds and GSP was exhausted at the end of the fight instead of the Alves vs GSP fight where he dictated the pace the entire time)
- great scrambling bottom game

I do believe that Hendricks should have got the shot, but Diaz is a way more dangerous opponent for GSP.

Yes, GSP is way more technical than Koscheck who tagged Hendricks a lot of times.
Hendricks has 1 combo that he does over and over and he offers no danger when he gets taken down.

Condit gave GSP the fight of his life and Diaz has a similar style where he has

- good striking
- tough SOB
- great cardio
- fights at a constant hard pace (Condit was the first opponent who fought back for 5 rounds and GSP was exhausted at the end of the fight instead of the Alves vs GSP fight where he dictated the pace the entire time)
- great scrambling bottom game

I do believe that Hendricks should have got the shot, but Diaz is a way more dangerous opponent for GSP.

Condit is a different type of striker than Diaz. Besides the fact that Condit uses kicks and knees and uses them well he also delivers his strikes from various angles and can land succesfully on people with good footwork and head movement.

Diaz is a straight forward boxer with not very good head movement and footwork. If you stand in front of him then he can land a high volume of shots with some good combonations, but if you have good footwork and head movement then you are going to give him fits.

I think people will see that GSP will have no problems with Diaz striking.

Condit is a different type of striker than Diaz. Besides the fact that Condit uses kicks and knees and uses them well he also delivers his strikes from various angles and can land succesfully on people with good footwork and head movement.

Diaz is a straight forward boxer with not very good head movement and footwork. If you stand in front of him then he can land a high volume of shots with some good combonations, but if you have good footwork and head movement then you are going to give him fits.

I think people will see that GSP will have no problems with Diaz striking.

But why do you think that Hendricks is a bigger threat to GSP?

Hendricks is not a better striker than Diaz.

People's obsession with 'skills' and 'technique' is all about nostalgia and clinging to an older era of MMA. In the modern game, the differences in natural abilities are far greater (amongst the elite of the sport) than the differences in skills. Diaz has virtually no path to winning a fight with GSP (I'm tired of pretending he has a chance at a submission - yes in the theoretical 'anything can happen' sense he has that chance, but it's really, really unlikely he pulls that off against the best top control fighter in the history of the division), whereas at least Hendricks might be able to keep it standing and land a huge, crushing blow due to his physical gifts. Both are huge underdogs.

Diaz best chance is if GSP overthinks the ground game as he did against Shields. GSP's stand up looked worse in that fight than any other on his championship run (and I do mean before the eye poke which clearly had an effect) as what GSP wasn't threatening was the takedown. When GSP does this that neutralises an opponents striking game; because he never seriously threatened this against Shields a fighter with at best average stand up could give a far better performance than many more accomplished strikers (not seen the Condit fight but assume there are some parrallells albeit a far better striker prepared to risk a takedown).

If GSP gives Nick too much respect it opens up a small possibility of an upset.

Hendricks breakdown has been done so I wont go over that; I think Hendricks is the greater threat overall but still only a slim chance of an upset.

GSP ducked hendricks because of his weak chin, hendricks wouldn't respect rush's striking and KO him with ease. Diaz probably has no respect for GSP' lack of striking skill. (jab i should say) but won't ko gsp. Hendricks being a better wrassler than gsp would probably stand up or wall walk to standing. Diaz is more dangerous off his back, either way gsp loses his belt. But it's complete horse shit nick's getting the shot being away for a year and coming off a loss. GSP wants to see hendricks children go hungry. that's a major bitch move imo.

Do you really believe what you wrote or you're just plain dumb ?

GSP lack of stricking skills : good one since he's probably the best striker in the division.
Weak Chin ? Good one , yeah GSP get dropped and KO left and right all the time by anyone .
Hendricks a better wrestler ? now that's plain dumb . The best wrestler in all MMA having worst wrestling than Hendrick . good one .

You are funny thanks for the laugh .

But why do you think that Hendricks is a bigger threat to GSP?

Hendricks is not a better striker than Diaz.

Because he can KO GSP, something Diaz is not as likely to do. Barring that both Diaz and Hendricks lose.

Lets be real, both have a slim chance at actually winning.

Back