Henderson was not fazed by Diaz's antics

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Why did Diaz keep dropping his hands and flipping off Henderson? Rogan and Goldberg spoke of Diaz's trash talk with deference but it did not in the slightest get to Henderson. I was rooting for Henderson, so I'm not a Diaz nuthugger, but Diaz dropped his hands twice against Henderson as to call him in and was knocked down both times. With 20 seconds left in the last round Diaz was hitting himself in the face telling Henderson to hit him after a round where at least one judge gave Henderson the round 10-8. That is not tough its stupid. There is 20 seconds left in a 25 minute fight where Diaz has had 45 seconds of upside and he is telling Henderson to come on. ????

Am I the only one that thought that Diaz was acting like an idiot??

No. The world is full of people who think he's an idiot.

Well obviously if you taunt the opponent and because of that, receive a hit, thats your problem. One could argue that hes an idiot because of that, but I believe his taunting is "part of a gameplan so to speak".

Diaz wanted to open up so Henderson would try to do something flamboyant finishing move or a sloppy hit so he could counter but only managed to get his own ass kicked.

Henderson had a great game plan and yes, he didn't let Diaz get in his head.

alas, head games are part of combat sports. always will be. it's the opponent's job to not let it work.

it works often. Rashad grabbing his crotch against Forrest was fine too, IMHO. so was Nick Diaz talking shit to Robbie Lawler. so is A Silva & Machida throwing their hands around, wizard-style, trying to keep their opponent off guard.

i don't blame Nate for playing his game and Ben deserves credit for not buying into it. but no, Nate is not an "idiot". he was simply trying something, anything, to work. nothing did.

why does everything have to be so black & white? like NFL coaches going for a 55 yard field goal with 22 seconds left in the game; if it works they're a genius and if it doesn't they're an idiot. i wish sports fans weren't so silly.

Diaz wanted to open up so Henderson would try to do something flamboyant finishing move or a sloppy hit so he could counter but only managed to get his own ass kicked.

You're giving Gracie, Nate and the rest of the camp far too much credit. It's obvious from Nick's performance and Nate's performance against top fighters that the only game plane they know is "hope your opponent stands in front of you and likes to get punched in the face."

Well obviously if you taunt the opponent and because of that, receive a hit, thats your problem. One could argue that hes an idiot because of that, but I believe his taunting is "part of a gameplan so to speak".

I hear ya, but if its not working after 24 minutes and 40 seconds, why would it work with 20 seconds left?

the diaz boys are used to people falling for their antics, which makes it easier for them to win.

People are just now starting to see through it and work past it (if they're smart enough) ie condit and bendo

so you can't blame them for continuing to try something that used to work so well in the past (and still might against certain opponents)

but as for doing it at the end of round 5? probably, he was just angry and trying to save a little face "like look! i'm still wanting to go!"

Nate Diaz needs to see a shrink.. "Gee i am getting my ass handed to me so okay, i think i will give him the middle finger" Yeah that will stop him from kicking my ass..

Henderson had a great game plan and yes, he didn't let Diaz get in his head.

alas, head games are part of combat sports. always will be. it's the opponent's job to not let it work.

it works often. Rashad grabbing his crotch against Forrest was fine too, IMHO. so was Nick Diaz talking shit to Robbie Lawler. so is A Silva & Machida throwing their hands around, wizard-style, trying to keep their opponent off guard.

i don't blame Nate for playing his game and Ben deserves credit for not buying into it. but no, Nate is not an "idiot". he was simply trying something, anything, to work. nothing did.

why does everything have to be so black & white? like NFL coaches going for a 55 yard field goal with 22 seconds left in the game; if it works they're a genius and if it doesn't they're an idiot. i wish sports fans weren't so silly.

I understand what you are saying, it just wasn't working. Which is a reason why he will never be a champion. He cannot adapt.

I understand what you are saying, it just wasn't working. Which is a reason why he will never be a champion. He cannot adapt.

great. i wish you'd said that, not "Diaz was acting like an idiot".

I hear ya, but if its not working after 24 minutes and 40 seconds, why would it work with 20 seconds left?

Probably an act of desperation, trying to make something happen when Bendo comes in.

great. i wish you'd said that, not "Diaz was acting like an idiot".

But that is what I think he is sorry. Not personally I do not know the man.
The same when Sanchez fought Penn. You have to learn to adapt and change or you will never be the champ.

Ben wanted the win more than he wanted to look tough and accomplished both IMO.
I was rooting for Nate, but Ben's performance still has impressed.

Probably an act of desperation, trying to make something happen when Bendo comes in.

You know what would've been a better act of desperation? Diaz coming forward with his own punches. Taunting with less than 30 seconds left in a fight you were dominated in is just stupid.

He looked more mentally strong than Cerrone did against Diaz.

I don't have much of a problem with head-games and antics like that. The only time it's a dick move is when you're handily in control of the fight, and you're doing it to make a defenseless person look stupid. That's where I draw my line, but Diaz was just doing what he thought would either help him win the fight or save face (his way of saying, "you kicked my ass, but i'm still here.").

You're giving Gracie, Nate and the rest of the camp far too much credit. It's obvious from Nick's performance and Nate's performance against top fighters that the only game plane they know is "hope your opponent stands in front of you and likes to get punched in the face."

Nick's strategy is similar, but had a first part. It reads, "Avoid wrestlers at all cost and hope your opponent stands in front of you and likes to get punched in the face."

Nick's strategy is similar, but had a first part. It reads, "Avoid wrestlers at all cost and hope your opponent stands in front of you and likes to get punched in the face."

has anybody told nick his plan's falling apart for his next fight?

Last edited:
Back