Help upgrading my routine!!!!! 3 day split

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by ouboxer, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ouboxer

ouboxer Guest

Hey guys this is my first here you guys all seem like you have great routines and help each other out alot. I just got back into lifting about 2 months ago and have finally gotten my muscles and everything back into the kind of shape where i can start lifting really hard again without hurting myself. Right now i can lift about 3 day per week. Over my winter break i lifted 5 days a week and lifted two body parts per day. now that im back at school im doing upper body then lower body split. Heres my routine over the last couple weeks. Id like an upgrade if you guys think you could improve my routine over a three day split.

UPPER BODY 6-8 rep range

barbell or dumbell flat bench 3 sets plus warm up set
    dumbell or machine rows 3 sets
    military press 3 sets
    pull ups 3 sets
    dumbell curls three sets
    skull crushers or cable pull downs 3 sets

LOWER BODY
    squats 4 sets starting at 12 reps down to 4 reps with heavier weight each time
    power cleans 3 sets 6 reps
    barbell lunges 3 sets
    hamstring curls 3 sets
    calve raises 3 sets

I alternate these each work out with a day between each workout. Any help would be great guys. Thanks.

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Have you read the stickies? I personally think heavy deadlifts are one of the most functional exercises a boxer can do. in addition, calf raises, curls (hamstring and bicep) and cable tricep extensions are unneccessary and not conducive for an athletic routine IMO.

3. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

Either read Carnal's treatise or go to Urbans website, both will give you example three day splits which will sort you out to begin with, then come back with any follow up questions.

4. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

You can scrap the isolation work. I'd also consider a unilateral hip-dominant lowerbody movement so yur routine may look like this

db or bb bench
    chins
    military press
    bb rows

cleans
    squats
    unilateral hip dominant lower body
    lunges

5. FATKID

FATKID Green Belt

Deadlifting is important for ANY athlete whose sport requires a degree of strength in order to succeed. Add deadlifts immediately!

6. ouboxer

ouboxer Guest

thanks for the help guys i need to do deadlifts i always hears that. I need to look at some pics and work on that technique ive always been a little scared to do them because i hurt my back before squating and deadlifting looks like you could screw your back up if you didnt have perfect technique.

7. Barut

Barut Banned Banned

Start light and have somebody to be VERY honest with you about your form. Deadlifts are awesome.

8. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

I object to calf raises being put there. They might be useful depending on the sport, and I think they are for MMA.

Entropy, what is your opinion on this?