Help plz with my Training Regimen

Wanderlei-silva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, i really need some assistance

3 years ago I started my fighting career, doing taek won do, muay thai, kickboxing, boxing and mma fights.

did really well, overall with a 7-2 record. Was in great shape, was on an awesome training regimen including thaiboxing, mitts, bag work, rope, cardio (long distance runs and sprints), weightlifting for strength, explosive power, as well as conditioning the muscles (intervals)

So I did my homework and was doing the right things to get in shape and fight good

BUT, in the last 5 months my life went downhill, I lost my brother to overdose and it was a very very difficult time for me. Seeing as how I lost my mother, father, and grandma before that, he was my last hope, and when he went, i went

I started boozing, smoking, eating shit food and went completely out of shape, got injured doing stupid things (separated my left shoulder).

Now I've got my head back and I REALLY want to make a name for myself, training under Ray Longo in Long Island, but my body wont listen to me. I got the thaiboxing down pretty good, but when I try to lift now my body gasses out and I cant do squat. I feel weak, my body aches, got no flexibility, and my muscles either cramp up or tighten up to the point where they feel like tree trunks and cant move.

So I just want to ask some of the experienced people here what should I do to gradually get back to where I was and then start doing my intense routine? ( I used to train 2 times a day, 6 days a week) Im talking about lifting strictly.

Normally I can do 3 supersets of squat/pullups, bentover rows/dips and box jumps/bag work all with a weighted vest pretty easy. Now I cant do 3 supersets of any of them without the damn vest and with even lower weights! What can I do to get back to normal?

Im 5'11'' weigh 175 right now, look pretty athletic, but my body is not the same. I used to be 165 and be stronger, fitter, faster, and had much better conditioning.

Any suggestions? Please let me know, thank you in advance

no one has an idea? Or people dont care? LOL

well if anyone can help it would be appreciated, I will look this up later

The SnP forum moves slow its not like the heavies

Id say give Starting Strength ago in the FAQ its a really good routine for getting your numbers up and for new lifters or people getting back into lifting.

Last edited:
Don't over do it, maybe start a tried and trusted routine (such as SS) to get your strenght back up. When thats there maybe then consider going back training full time, don't jump into it all at once.

Don't over do it, maybe start a tried and trusted routine (such as SS) to get your strenght back up. When thats there maybe then consider going back training full time, don't jump into it all at once.

This.

I'd star slow with just Starting Strength or the 2 day split in the FAQ, add running/rope skipping two or three times a week. If you do that and clean your diet up you should be back to where you were in no time.

Also, I'm assuming you got your diet cleaned back up, but I'd suggest to take extra vitamins as eating shitty/boozing/smoking for a while can deplete a lot of your vitamin/mineral stores.

I have a history of substance abuse and lazy lifestyle that surpasses way fucking more than 5 months. I would also assume I am much older than you are too. SS would be a good introduction back to lifting. Stop making fucking excuses though. We all have days we feel like shit when lifting, but don't tell me you didn't feel like more of a peice of a shit when you were out fucking around and not training. Suck it the fuck up.

I have a history of substance abuse and lazy lifestyle that surpasses way fucking more than 5 months. I would also assume I am much older than you are too.

I could have written this.

What I did when I pulled my head out of my ass and started training again was to treat myself as a beginner again. I followed a program very similar to starting strength and started at weights that were well under my capacity. Every workout saw a little bit more weight going onto the bar, and within a few months I was actually back on par with pre-lazy levels. I had to take a similar approach to cardio.

The first month back sucks. Your brain remembers what the body used to be able to do, and it's depressing not to be able to do it. Suck it up and get through it.

wow guys, thanks so much.

Never read starting strength, gonna read it now

And to the guy who told me not to make excuses, that was my problem for so long. I was blaming this and that for what happened to me, but never looked inside.

But now i have. I quit the weed, quit alcohol all together, and im eating good, with supplementation as well

Thanks so much guys, this is inspirational.

Gonna go through SS now, again thank you so much

wow guys, thanks so much.

Never read starting strength, gonna read it now

And to the guy who told me not to make excuses, that was my problem for so long. I was blaming this and that for what happened to me, but never looked inside.

But now i have. I quit the weed, quit alcohol all together, and im eating good, with supplementation as well

Thanks so much guys, this is inspirational.

Gonna go through SS now, again thank you so much

Eat, lift, and be merry. Feel free to start a log in the training logs.

Eat, lift, and be merry. Feel free to start a log in the training logs.

Definitely do this. Even if you don't start one in the logs here, do one on your own. I recommend doing one here though, so people can check up on ya, critique form, encourage you, mock you, and so on.

Glad you got what you needed here. SS will do miracles for you.

Back