Help Out a Novice!!!

Ukraiina

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is my first time venturing into S&P, hopefully I wont sound too dumb... Anyways this is my situation and I was hoping for some advice from you fellas. I am about 6'1 and 145-148 lbs. Yes, very slim I know. I started lifting a about 3 months ago and I have made some improvements.

Anyways I have numerous questions. I wasn't exactly gifted with great genes, they are not bad, I am in fact very athletic its just I have generally pretty skinny arms and small chest while my six pack is in hiding. I am basically looking for an exercise that will build my upper body shape. This may sound bodybuilder-ish but i am also looking to increase my functional strength as well. Also, if someone can suggest an exercise that will improve my posture, id greatly appreciate it.

I have been benching and doing curls (which are ridiculed on this site for some reason), military presses (rarely) and some bent rows. Should I maybe do some deadlifts and focus more on military presses?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Generic response:

read stickies
read faq
gtfo curl monkey

squats, deadlifts, overhead press, eat more

Generic response:

read stickies
read faq
gtfo curl monkey

squats, deadlifts, overhead press, eat more

Yes.

ukraina.jpg

compound exercies only, sub curls with chin ups.. don't do leg sculpting exercies like leg externsions/curl do squats and variations for legs only. Leave the bench behing and try alternating dumbell press or more push ups.

If you want to gain strength, do what is suggested in the FAQ. It seems you have read enough posts to know curls are ridiculed, that bodybuilder routines are frowned on, etc.. If you have read that much, you should already know what is recommended here for strength.
As far as curls and the like, I don't think you need to completely scratch them as you do have some metro goals. Throw in the isolation exercises at the end of your workout if you really want to work on the pump. If you are too tired from the manly exercises, tough shit.

Lift heavy and eat. Check out Joe DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards II or III program (just google it). It has a good bit of upper body RE work for building size.

I'm doing Westside for Skinny Bastards I right now and I love it. If you're not used to CNS-intense exercises (deadlift and squat) then I think it's the right program to start with. I did phase one of the Bill Starr 5x5 and my body was so fried I had to stop and switch programs. I couldn't handle squatting three times a week and deadlifting once a week.

How old are you?

Just wondering if sub 21

edit- don't you EVER mention a six pack again

tut11-19.gif

Back