Help my academy by signing this petition to the IBJJF

I have no problem with a non-blackbelt having a school and competing under that school's name. And you are free to do that at any non-IBJJF tourney. But the IBJJF has standards, and your school does not meet the standard. They are not going to make an exception for you.

Unless I misunderstood you, you are affiliated/friends with some blackbelts that can promote for you, even though you say you make the decision... you really don't, someone else has to OK your decision. It may be that in practice this person rubber stamps your promotions, but they ultimately make the official decision. You can't promote without a blackbelt in BJJ (I really don't know what the IBJJF requires for promotion, maybe you can promote to a certain level). Therefore, you can't enter a BJJ competition under your own banner because none of these students were actually promoted by you, therefore your name stating that they are in the appropriate division is meaningless. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and they drew the line at BB 2nd degree.

I am a lawyer, and I have a paralegal do a lot of my work. In practice, I really don't even check her work, and she has a literal rubber stamp with my signature. Still, if there was some problem with it, I am accountable, not her. And even though she knows all the same things I know, she is under my banner. If the bar association were handing out exceptions, there would probably be a lot of paralegals that can do the work of a lawyer. But it is a quality control issue... and so big sweeping rules are needed and no exceptions are made. There are a lot of incompetent lawyers, but not nearly as many as there would be if there was no education/test standard. There is a standard, you don't meet it, the end.

In short, I agree with this particular IBJJF stand (although I disagree with many others).

I agree with this. Competing without blackbelt instructor should be okay, but promotion should be reserved for legit blackbelts.

If you're going to go against the grain, the grain is also going to go against you.

I guess the question is whether you think there should be an exception for you or whether the rule should be changed. I don't see anything unique about your case that would make it an exception to the rule. If you don't like the rule, then the petition should be to change the rule. I would be more apt to sign that (though probably still wouldn't tbh, because I think it is a good rule) than to make an exception for no apparent reason.

I will determine the proper time to give them the belt and give them the belt personally. If I taught them and consider me their instructor, it makes no sense for anybody else to promote them at a seminar when they don't know their training history or were present to monitor their progress. The only certificate they need (to answer somebody else's question) is their knowledge and ability on the mat. Only truth exists on the mat.

Since we have a number of upper belts, I take into strong consideration the opinions of my friends and training partners regarding promotions. We see eye to eye on these matters. The decision to promote would be mine, but they would sign off if needed on any IBJJF requirements since every belt will need a card soon and would offer their blessing on my decisions.

I feel that those that might not know me would argue that I am watering down the sport. That somehow because I don't provide a certification with my stripes and belt waters down the process - despite the fact that a huge number of legit gyms dont. Ironically, I feel that promotion standards at the places being loud about standards are often the ones who promote on standards that I dont agree with.

If your interested more in my point of view, I wrote 13 reasons to join my gym on our website. Reason 11 deals with promotion standards.

13 reasons to join Brea Jiu-Jitsu

I wanted to address Mcbains comment, but I decided to leave it at a no comment. Suffice to say, I have my instructors blessing and thats all that is needed on an internet forum.

Thanks for the response. I actually agree that brown belts should be able to promote up to purple belt and really think it's a shame they can't.

Then again I also see the need for rules, but the bureaucracy is getting kind of ridiculous it seems.

I will determine the proper time to give them the belt and give them the belt personally. If I taught them and consider me their instructor, it makes no sense for anybody else to promote them at a seminar when they don't know their training history or were present to monitor their progress. The only certificate they need (to answer somebody else's question) is their knowledge and ability on the mat. Only truth exists on the mat.

Since we have a number of upper belts, I take into strong consideration the opinions of my friends and training partners regarding promotions. We see eye to eye on these matters. The decision to promote would be mine, but they would sign off if needed on any IBJJF requirements since every belt will need a card soon and would offer their blessing on my decisions.

I feel that those that might not know me would argue that I am watering down the sport. That somehow because I don't provide a certification with my stripes and belt waters down the process - despite the fact that a huge number of legit gyms dont. Ironically, I feel that promotion standards at the places being loud about standards are often the ones who promote on standards that I dont agree with.

If your interested more in my point of view, I wrote 13 reasons to join my gym on our website. Reason 11 deals with promotion standards.

13 reasons to join Brea Jiu-Jitsu

I wanted to address Mcbains comment, but I decided to leave it at a no comment. Suffice to say, I have my instructors blessing and thats all that is needed on an internet forum.

hmmmm.... that 13 reasons page is pretty combative IMO, you are making a point about some things that is for sure

Reason #318 why belts are fucking stupid.

I've had about 7 grappling coaches during my time in BJJ. My best one, HANDS DOWN, was a brown belt. The second was a purple belt. The next one was a Judo guy with no BJJ rank. Most of the guys I'm referring to are BJJ black belts now, but at the time these were the guys I learned from.

Even today I get more from purples with a game that I'm unfamiliar with, than I do from the black belts I see everyday.

Black belts are usually very good at armbarring people, but being able to teach is a very different skill that a lot of people don't have. Even worse, a lot of "coaches" have absolutely no interest in developing. Finding a black belt that can connect with anyone is even more rare.

I am seeing way too many black belts who simply don't care, and I have a problem with the IBJJF trying to block someone who does. Everyone who grapples KNOWS that BJJ is a self correcting art. If the students win, the training is good, so there is no reason to fear a wave of "unregistered" instructors unless you fear they are going to do YOUR job better.

Good luck Trumpet Dan. I'm rooting for you.

if we let you register your school as a brown belt then we would have to let all brown belts register, silly wabbit!

im not sure where people are getting that im looking for an exemption for my school. I am looking to change the rule itself...however unlikely.

Back