Help my academy by signing this petition to the IBJJF

I think there's some judgement clouding because people like and respect TrumpetDan.

Fact is if it was any other brown belt we'd be saying: 'Tough shit. Wait till you're a black belt or have your students compete under someone who will vouch for you.'

I can totally see why IBJJF have this rule and I can similarly see why some people think it's bureaucracy but...
... you buy the ticket you take the ride.

Perhaps, but on the flipside, I also see a lot of "Well, my professor had to wait so you should have to as well". Which is a pretty flimsy reason to keep a rule that doesn't make much sense.

That's not what this is about at all. Dan simply wants to be able to have his guys compete under his school. And why shouldn't he? Why is using the loophole of having a blackbelt register for him the more favorable option here? What is the "spirit of the law" is this rule designed to enforce?

Yes, maybe we'll have blue or white belts registering academies someday but does that really matter that much? The truth comes out on the mat anyway.

It is what it is about. Being completely on your own is something that should be reserved for black belts.

A brown belt can have a school, but he needs to have a black belt up the chain somewhere keeping an eye on things. Who is doing the promotions? That black belt should sign.

Unbelievable. Youre a brown belt and you dont even want to rep the instructor who helped get you to where you are anymore?

Pretty much. Trumpet Dan seems like a cool guy and I really like the content he shares,but I have no problem with this rule.Additionally, I don't understand his dilemma.Find a black belt to compete under until he gets his Black Belt. Thats what every one else does, why is it an issue now? IMO the only division where unaffiliated competitors should be able to compete is Black belt Adult.IMO affiliate helps prevent sandbagging and keeps some form of order.What if the whole Iowa wrestling team just decided to invade Worlds at the white belt level?

Well then I'd kimura trap them all

Dumb rule.

Wrestlers can compete in wrestling tournaments regardless of where they train. I don't see why BJJ should be any different.

The belt system is a political system cluster fuck.

I originally agreed with Balto (and sort of still do), but Dan made a good point; there are things that only blsck belts should be allowed to do (chiefly promote rank), but I don't think this needs to be one of them. We're talking about competition, where the results are supposed to speak for themselves. Why not let them? Competitors should be able to represent their coach. After all, their skills (or lack thereof) are a reflection of their gym's instruction, not the cosigning black belt's. If a brown belt can't produce a good competitor, it'll show; if they can, I think they deserve the credit.

snoop dogg said it best, IBJFF makes their tournaments more prestigious than they are

My only question is, as a brown belt, are you not actively pursuing your black belt under an instructor? If so, wouldn't said instructor, who would one day promote you to black, and thus be able to sign off on any of your promotions be available? Even if you were to do it in a sort of affiliate program and have him come down once a month to evaluate potential promotions and sign off on your IBJJF team until you get your BB.

My only question is, as a brown belt, are you not actively pursuing your black belt under an instructor? If so, wouldn't said instructor, who would one day promote you to black, and thus be able to sign off on any of your promotions be available? Even if you were to do it in a sort of affiliate program and have him come down once a month to evaluate potential promotions and sign off on your IBJJF team until you get your BB.

It SOUNDS like he wants his students competing under his flag, rather than another's.

It SOUNDS like he wants his students competing under his flag, rather than another's.

yep. especially when you can only have 2 reps per weight/belt for each team.

if you belong to a bigger team, your students might not even make it.

Dan,

I didn't see you mention this, but who does the promotions for your academy? Say if you thought a white belt deserved a blue, who would you call in to promote them?

Do you do seminars and just let the black belt know who to promote?

I will determine the proper time to give them the belt and give them the belt personally. If I taught them and consider me their instructor, it makes no sense for anybody else to promote them at a seminar when they don't know their training history or were present to monitor their progress. The only certificate they need (to answer somebody else's question) is their knowledge and ability on the mat. Only truth exists on the mat.

Since we have a number of upper belts, I take into strong consideration the opinions of my friends and training partners regarding promotions. We see eye to eye on these matters. The decision to promote would be mine, but they would sign off if needed on any IBJJF requirements since every belt will need a card soon and would offer their blessing on my decisions.

I feel that those that might not know me would argue that I am watering down the sport. That somehow because I don't provide a certification with my stripes and belt waters down the process - despite the fact that a huge number of legit gyms dont. Ironically, I feel that promotion standards at the places being loud about standards are often the ones who promote on standards that I dont agree with.

If your interested more in my point of view, I wrote 13 reasons to join my gym on our website. Reason 11 deals with promotion standards.

13 reasons to join Brea Jiu-Jitsu

I wanted to address Mcbains comment, but I decided to leave it at a no comment. Suffice to say, I have my instructors blessing and thats all that is needed on an internet forum.

i dont like the rule but i also dont like the idea of special exemptions being made

I will determine the proper time to give them the belt and give them the belt personally. If I taught them and consider me their instructor, it makes no sense for anybody else to promote them at a seminar when they don't know their training history or were present to monitor their progress. The only certificate they need (to answer somebody else's question) is their knowledge and ability on the mat. Only truth exists on the mat.

Since we have a number of upper belts, I take into strong consideration the opinions of my friends and training partners regarding promotions. We see eye to eye on these matters. The decision to promote would be mine, but they would sign off if needed on any IBJJF requirements since every belt will need a card soon and would offer their blessing on my decisions.

I feel that those that might not know me would argue that I am watering down the sport. That somehow because I don't provide a certification with my stripes and belt waters down the process - despite the fact that a huge number of legit gyms dont. Ironically, I feel that promotion standards at the places being loud about standards are often the ones who promote on standards that I dont agree with.

If your interested more in my point of view, I wrote 13 reasons to join my gym on our website. Reason 11 deals with promotion standards.

13 reasons to join Brea Jiu-Jitsu

I wanted to address Mcbains comment, but I decided to leave it at a no comment. Suffice to say, I have my instructors blessing and thats all that is needed on an internet forum.

Dan,

Are you still working with a black belt or two with plans to eventually get yours?

I have no problem with a non-blackbelt having a school and competing under that school's name. And you are free to do that at any non-IBJJF tourney. But the IBJJF has standards, and your school does not meet the standard. They are not going to make an exception for you.

Unless I misunderstood you, you are affiliated/friends with some blackbelts that can promote for you, even though you say you make the decision... you really don't, someone else has to OK your decision. It may be that in practice this person rubber stamps your promotions, but they ultimately make the official decision. You can't promote without a blackbelt in BJJ (I really don't know what the IBJJF requires for promotion, maybe you can promote to a certain level). Therefore, you can't enter a BJJ competition under your own banner because none of these students were actually promoted by you, therefore your name stating that they are in the appropriate division is meaningless. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and they drew the line at BB 2nd degree.

I am a lawyer, and I have a paralegal do a lot of my work. In practice, I really don't even check her work, and she has a literal rubber stamp with my signature. Still, if there was some problem with it, I am accountable, not her. And even though she knows all the same things I know, she is under my banner. If the bar association were handing out exceptions, there would probably be a lot of paralegals that can do the work of a lawyer. But it is a quality control issue... and so big sweeping rules are needed and no exceptions are made. There are a lot of incompetent lawyers, but not nearly as many as there would be if there was no education/test standard. There is a standard, you don't meet it, the end.

In short, I agree with this particular IBJJF stand (although I disagree with many others).

Dan,

Are you still working with a black belt or two with plans to eventually get yours?

My coach will still be the one who promotes me(and just did a few weeks ago) though I am not actively working with him directly. Teaching 25 classes per week takes that off the table. To get better, I mostly just watch matches and talk about them with my friends and training partners. I generally spend about an hour or two out of the day watching tournament footage.

As far as training goes, I have not had better training in my life.

You can't promote without a blackbelt in BJJ.
This is wrong. It doesn't invalidate your belief, but it does weaken your argument.

Let Trumpet Dan tilt at windmills, should he choose to do so. Who knows? Some positive change could result from it.

Best of luck, TD.

This is wrong. It doesn't invalidate your belief, but it does weaken your argument.

Let Trumpet Dan tilt at windmills, should he choose to do so. Who knows? Some positive change could result from it.

Best of luck, TD.

Well I admitted in my post that this may not be correct... if a brown belt is allowed to promote to a certain level, then I see no reason to not allow those students to compete at that level at an IBJJF tourney.

Also, I had to google the phrase "tilt at windmills". I like that, I am going to use it in the U.S. and then have to explain it every time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back