Help! Injured calf

AreYouHappyNow?

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a little something going on here that I was hoping to get some feedback on.

I was totally inactive for the holidays. Fitness wise, I was totally out of action for about 30 days. I know, I know, that's bad. But some people get a little freaky during the holiday, and that's what happened to me. I must have been supremely weird, as I even quit lifting weights, which is not my style. After a 30 day layoff or so, I then hopped right into a boxing class. That was 2 days ago. There was a good amount of running and jumping involved in that class. That may seem weird to some, but there are boxing classes that are geared more towards cardio development, at least here where I live.

At the very end of class, around minute 45, I got one heck of a pain in my calf. I was totally frozen in my tracks and I was forced to lay there for a few minutes. The cramp actually occured when I was doing situps, of all things. It came from out of the blue and struck like lightning. It was a very painful cramp. I couldn't stand up. And the pain was borderline excruciating. On a pain level of one to five, with five being the worst pain, it ranked a number five. For half a minute the pain was brutal. I was pretty embarassed as everyone else was chuggin' away going through their routine. After a minute or so, the pain subsided to a level 3 and I was able to stand up and walk away under my own power.

Well now it's 2 days later. The pain is still there, but not as bad. Now it's at a pain level 2 or so. I only feel the discomfort when I'm standing, or bearing weight. Though it's only at a number 2 level of pain, I nevertheless walk with a little limp. I've had cramps before, but never a cramp that a full 2 days later would cause me to still limp. What is up with that? I wonder if I pulled a muscle or did some other type of damage. But then again, my feet were in the air (I was doing situps) when the cramp first took hold.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do to treat it? Any type of topical ointment I should use? Thanks people.

That sucks bro sorry bout that..... the obvious i think tho is that you hurt it before the situps doing whatever else u were doing and didnt feel the pain until the muscle cooled down a bit and especieally with your legs being up, the blood leaves the legs and thats when u felt it but the damage was done before and hopefully not much damage.

OwwTapTap said:
That sucks bro sorry bout that..... the obvious i think tho is that you hurt it before the situps doing whatever else u were doing and didnt feel the pain until the muscle cooled down a bit and especieally with your legs being up, the blood leaves the legs and thats when u felt it but the damage was done before and hopefully not much damage.

Yeah, very good assessment. I guess it's a cramp. I dunno. I guess I'll just wait a few days to see if the pain gradually diminishes day by day. I was wondering if there's some type of topical ointment that I should use in the meantime. Maybe someone knows. Thanks for your response, OTT.

Oh yeah almost forgot. I know this aint much help but just in case..... ibuprofen if its swollen.....extra strength tylenol for pain.....warm baths.....i dunno maybe elevating the leg....and maybe some ben gay or icy hot or sumthin

Back