help designing a program

gwilacuz

White Belt
Reaction score
im 38 years old and I have been working out since I was 15. all my life ive done bodybuilding programs, mainly push, pull, legs splits. lately I constantly feel fatigued, and I want a workout that will give me more energy. I would also like to incorporate some boxing into my workouts. I only have time to workout an hour a day mon-fri and I workout at home, so time and equipment is limited. my home gym consists of: power rack, adjustable bench, Olympic barbell w/ 500 lbs of weight, 5-50 pairs of hex dumbbells, adjustable pair of dumbbells that go up to 100 lbs each, landmine, roman chair, airdyne bike, and a heavy bag. if ANYONE could give me some ideas on a workout program it would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

If you haven't checked out the FAQ, there are quite a lot working routines to find.
And your best lifts would be helpful to know for helping you.

Depending on how you want to structure your week and what you want to incorporate in your boxing workouts (calisthenics, cardio), your routine will look different. Considering your background, I'd suggest you start with a sensible strength progression (5/3/1 for example is simple, freely customizable and uses submaximal weights).

I can personally recommend a full body split over 2-3 days per week, squatting twice per week (once heavy, once deload/accessory movement) and focusing your supplemental work on upper back/rear delts, posterior chain, back,abs and arms.

Another route would be a short split over 4 days with one main lift and 1-2 accesory movements (or 5 days with one accesory day) and wokring on your striking for the second part of the session.

But most importantly, start with the FAQ and look what fits you.

Since you've been working out that long can you answer a few questions?

What are your personal bests in the major lifts?
Have you plateued?
How is your aerobic fitness?

I haven't maxed out on my major lifts in years. at this point in my life I am just trying to keep in shape or "maintain" as most people call it. I try to stay in the 8-12 rep range with short rest periods. with that being said, I guess you could say that I have plateaued. as far as cardio, I do airdyne sprints 2 days a week and I feel fried after those. my sprints look like this:
10 sec hard 50 sec easy
20 sec hard 40 sec easy
30 sec hard 30 sec easy
40 sec hard 20 sec easy
50 sec hard 10 sec easy
40 sec hard 20 sec easy
30 sec hard 30 sec easy
20 sec hard 40 sec easy
10 sec hard 50 sec easy

as far as weight training I do Monday-upper body push, Tuesday-upper body pull, and Friday-legs/core

Back