helio's health

theillknight

White Belt
Reaction score
I've read several BJJ books and watched interviews and they always mention that Helio had poor health (at least when he was younger) and a frail body. Aside from his small stature, what exactly wasn't healthy about him? Did he have any medical condition?

theillknight said:
I've read several BJJ books and watched interviews and they always mention that Helio had poor health (at least when he was younger) and a frail body. Aside from his small stature, what exactly wasn't healthy about him? Did he have any medical condition?

I think he got sick more often than the others, and was otherwise just skinny. I think part of it is just exagerated to add some mysticism to the whole thing. Afterall, he's often said that Royler is jsut like him, and Royler hardly seems sickly.

well you should see some pitcures of helio when he was younger ( like 30's).. the man was a stick but then again his side of the family does not eat meat...

I believe he was just considered very frail because of his frame. Also, some of his family members mentioned his breathing problems, but I'm not sure exactly which condition he had.

I think Helio was just small.

The guy is almost a hundred years old now. He could not have been in that poor health to make it this far.

Balto said:
I think Helio was just small.

The guy is almost a hundred years old now. He could not have been in that poor health to make it this far.

Agreed.
Plus he fathered many children with more than one woman.
Plus there's that story of how he saved people's lives when their ship sank off the coast of Brazil.

Regarding his breathing problems, maybe he just had asthma as a kid and outgrew it. A lot of people have that. But it DOES add to the "mysticism" of the Gracie name to call it "breathing problems."

He was reported as sufferring from many dizzy spells as well- like he could not climb stairs for extended periods of time and the such.

I believe in training Jiu Jitsu he may have outgrew many of his frail habits- after all, he did have a few fights that lasted for over an hour long with no interruption.

Like VAndamme said he used tog et dizzy spells.

He's pretty strong for a walking corpse. He showed some techniques on the mat with me once a few years ago and he did a choke that actually made my neck crack like 4 times.

He's not frail by any means.

Eric O said:
he did a choke that actually made my neck crack like 4 times.

He's not frail by any means.
That's leverage, my friend, leverage!

tudor_bjj said:
That's leverage, my friend, leverage!

I don't care what it is. When where that age we'll be in the ground in a box.

if we worked out as much as he does and eat as well as he does i think we might make it like him

They eat like Rabbits, and wonder why they're only 5'7.

Meat meat and more meat

VanDamme said:
He was reported as sufferring from many dizzy spells as well- like he could not climb stairs for extended periods of time and the such.

I believe in training Jiu Jitsu he may have outgrew many of his frail habits- after all, he did have a few fights that lasted for over an hour long with no interruption.

I assume it would be pretty damn smart to create a system primarily consisting of fighting on your back for attack / defense if you had dizzy spells. No worries about falling down, where you are, etc. You are always grounded.

I'll give Helio that.

helio's the man. the guy is a like a fuckin mummy and still doin bjj.

Back