Heel Hook help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnathanWF**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm an EXTREMELY low-level grappler, my only pros being knowing a lot of holds and the ability to lock both feet behind my head simultaneously. I don't have any official training, but I'm a member of my college's BJJ club (more for fun than anything serious).

While my favorite move is the gogoplata, my best is the heel hook (yes, I'm really careful about it). Recently, in situational practice where I started in full mount, I latched onto my opponent's foot in a scramble and tried to get in position, but he had his weight down and despite wriggling for about a minute and a half, I couldn't lock it under my armpit. He actually somehow ended up taking my back and choking me out while I still had his foot.

How do I break someone down who's standing on the leg I'm attacking? Scissor the knee?

I'm an EXTREMELY low-level grappler, my only pros being knowing a lot of holds and the ability to lock both feet behind my head simultaneously. I don't have any official training, but I'm a member of my college's BJJ club (more for fun than anything serious).

While my favorite move is the gogoplata, my best is the heel hook (yes, I'm really careful about it). Recently, in situational practice where I started in full mount, I latched onto my opponent's foot in a scramble and tried to get in position, but he had his weight down and despite wriggling for about a minute and a half, I couldn't lock it under my armpit. He actually somehow ended up taking my back and choking me out while I still had his foot.

How do I break someone down who's standing on the leg I'm attacking? Scissor the knee?

Ask your instr-

If a "low level grappler" tried to heel hook me during training, I'd probably just punch him in the face after I tapped out.

Honestly, you probably shuoldn't be fooling around with a heel hook. Those things are dangerous, and if you had a coach he'd probably tell you the same thing.

If a "low level grappler" tried to heel hook me during training, I'd probably just punch him in the face after I tapped out.

Me too.

na to think about it, I will put him to sleep instead and wake him up with elbow strikes.

I did heel hooks when I was a white belt while training with higher belts. I was taught heel hooks when I was a white belt. I was on the cusp of blue though. I wouldn't have done them on another white belt. If I caught one, I wouldn't even begin to torque it. I would just hold it and look at my training partner and wait for a tap if he couldn't get out. I agree that in general white belts shouldn't do it, but some guys are responsible. I am confidentthat doing heel hooks as a WB never put anyone's well being at risk.

Regarding the topic, I don't worry about getting him down. Elevate your hips so he lifts his heel off the ground and apply it. You can do it without knocking him down. You can switch your legs and knock him down if you want, but it's hard to explain without visuals. If the guy manages to lean forward and grab my head or my gi, then I abandon it. If there's a way to finish once that starts happening, I'm not the man to ask.

To answer your question, only do heelhooks to people that look can make limping look cool (pimps perhaps).

a self-taught "EXTREMELY" low-level grappler who's favourite moves are the gogoplata and heel hooks, please tell me where you train so I can stay as far away as possible

When I see newbies roll and they do heel hooks, I tell them to be carefull or not to do it at all. I guess they dont realize how dangerous it can be. I don't know how long TS has been training for, but it seems he is new to the sport. But now he knows from this thread!

I wasn't even able to walk for a week from a heel hook, and that was coming from an experienced grappler that accidentally cranked too hard.

Would you mind not being a douchebag?

Oh, wait. Sherdog.

LOL. Don't blame sherdog because people think it's retarded that an admitted "EXTREMELY low level" grappling club member wants to learn to do a move that takes expert level control. Especially when that persons only other option is doing a gogoplata.

Not one responsible bjj guy would encourage this.

A punch in the face wasn't a douchebag answer, it was probably the best one in this thread. If I see a whitebelt or less as you've described flailing to do heel hooks as their specialty. I'll play 3 strikes.

1. Warning...
2. Beating...
3. Return favor ....(You're out for 9 months to a year, in which case you'll quit or learn your lesson)

Reap the knee.

You can start by driving off of one foot on the hip and then use the outside leg to cut across as close to the hip as possible, the goal is to get the knee to slightly turn. When it starts to turn drop your weight and triangle your legs.

Hard to explain but hopefully you got it.

If you find yourself losing that position and you don't feel good in the transition I recommend letting go of the heel hook and going for something else BEFORE he gets your back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back