• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Heavyweight Division Past vs Present: Who wins these fights??

Just Flol at people choosing Gane over Mirko. The absolute disrespect. Gane has like 12 professional fights. Mirko has more high level kickboxing wins than Gane has high level kickboxing sparring sessions.

Thank you! I've thought about these fights for years. HW is one of the few divisions, that we have these legendary match ups. I don't get the same feeling with other divisions.

Anytime sir.
I submitted my thoughts about these matchups in the thread.

Reactions: JKS
Anytime sir.
I submitted my thoughts about these matchups in the thread.

I think I picked all the same fights. The only one that I was on the other side was Kharitonov vs Pavlovich.

I think I picked all the same fights. The only one that I was on the other side was Kharitonov vs Pavlovich.

We have good taste lol.

I was having a hard time with that one in particular, and I wrote why I chose Kharitonov.

Cro Cop (2005) vs Gane (Current)
Big Nog (2006) vs Stipe (2017)
Barnett (2006) vs Werdum (2016)
Fedor (2008) vs Cormier (2017)
Alex Emelianenko (2006) vs Ngannou (current)
Arlovski (2006) vs JDS(2011)
Sergei Kharitonov (2006) vs Pavlovich (current)
Mir (2008) vs Blaydes (current)
Carwin (2008) vs Hunt (2015)
Sylvia (2004) vs Volkov (current)
Couture (2003) vs Cain (2013)
Tank (1996) vs Nelson (2013)
Rizzo (2002) vs Overeem (2011)

Some very intriguing fight at HW I've always wanted to see. I've put a year beside the fighter for their best shape. Who wins these fights??

Under usada or can both use roids? This isnt even a fair question. PRIDE FIGHTERS LOOKED BETTER BECAUSE THEY CAN USE PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS LIBERALLY.

Just Flol at people choosing Gane over Mirko. The absolute disrespect. Gane has like 12 professional fights. Mirko has more high level kickboxing wins than Gane has high level kickboxing sparring sessions.

I mean I think that would potentially be competitive but Barnett would beat Gane fairly easily IMHO, heck even someone like Coleman might beat him.

Some very intriguing fight at HW I've always wanted to see. I've put a year beside the fighter for their best shape. Who wins these fights??

Fedor vs Cain is the fight I wish I could see. 2005 Fedor vs 2012 Cain is one for the literal Ages.. I think Cain has the better Wrestling, like from a Pure Standpoint of just Wrestling, I'd give the advantage to Cain.. BUT Fedor would have the Judo & Submissions, also his Top Game was next Level, he was way ahead of his time.. So Grappling Exchanges would be a tough Chess Match for either, especially with both in their Prime. Both would also have Speed, Power, Cardio, Chins... I could easily see it being the Greatest Fight not just in HW History, but in MMA History.

Heart- Fedor
Mind- Cain

PRIDE Ruleset in a Ring- Fedor
UFC Ruleset in a Cage- Cain

Forget every other, this is the ONE we all should've had. :(

Last edited:
Fedor vs Cain is the fight I wish I could see. 2005 Fedor vs 2012 Cain is one for the literal Ages.. I think Cain has the better Wrestling, like from a Pure Standpoint of just Wrestling, I'd give the advantage to Cain.. BUT Fedor would have the Judo & Submissions, also his Top Game was next Level, he was way ahead of his time.. So Grappling Exchanges would be a tough Chess Match for either, especially with both in their Prime. Both would also have Speed, Power, Cardio, Chins... I could easily see it being the Greatest Fight not just in HW History, but in MMA History.

Heart- Fedor
Mind- Cain

PRIDE Ruleset in a Ring- Fedor
UFC Ruleset in a Cage- Cain

Forget every other, this is the ONE we all should've had. :(

The big issue for me would be I think Cain's standup defence is iffy, he tended to get by on pressuring opponents and it worked well against JDS who was prone to being backed up but he walked into Werdums jab all night.

Cain did obviously have a striking threat himself but I think he'd be under VERY significant threat standing with Fedor and I think even more Crocop were the left straight would be a massive a big danger to him.

Last edited:
Don't you already know ? MMA fighters were much better when basically nobody cared about this sport, when there was no money and when there was no drug or little drug testing.

you seem pretty upset that most people agree the Heavyweights of yesterday are just better than the heavyweights today. You will be ok champ.

you seem pretty upset that most people agree the Heavyweights of yesterday are just better than the heavyweights today. You will be ok champ.

{<jordan}

Most people ? While nobody cares about those antiques outside of Sherdog.

Also, the salty guy is actually the one stuck in the past because he can't handle the present <seedat>

{<jordan}

Most people ? While nobody cares about those antiques outside of Sherdog.

Also, the salty guy is actually the one stuck in the past because he can't handle the present <seedat>
Sure things nerd

Fedor (2008) vs Cormier (2017) TOUGH ONE!

Cro Cop
Stipe
Werdum

Fedor (2008) vs Cormier (2017) TOUGH ONE!
Ngannou

JDS
Pavlovich
Blaydes
Hunt
Sylvia
Cain
Nelson
Overeem
\

He did finish Bigfoot after he raped Fedor

Yes Cormier is a great fighter but nobody knows what would happen if DC fought a 27 year old Fedor. Fedor was better than a lot of guys DC went the distance with or was competitive with.

Lol who the hell would put Tank Abbott over Big Country? Even in his supposed prime he was losing every other fight. Nelson had wrestling, better cardio, one of the best chins in mma, and arguably more power.
Nelson probably wins, but Tank was a juco All-American wrestler, much stronger than Roy and hit even harder (his short punch KO over Nelmark was as impressive as anything Carwin ever did). 1996 Tank wasn't a joke or a 50/50 fighter. The only guy who beat him in under 18 minutes was Don Frye, and that was Tank's third fight of the night...and he had Frye wobbly and stunned before he gassed. And remember these are HWs and both guys are always one punch away from winning. Even at his best Roy was slow and very hittable. Werdum said that Nelson was physically weak, too. He hit hard but was muscled around by Mir and others. No one said that about Tank, especially after he picked up Cal Worsham and nearly tossed him over the Octagon.

Sorry, he was 60/30, his only wins being against bums
And practically everyone Nelson beat got caught with a overhand right telegraphed from a mile away. At least some of Tank's opponents (like Ferrozzo) would've eaten multiple shots from Nelson before going down.

Back