heavy chevy's lifting/MMA log

good luck in that upcoming fight!

if I'd to say something, it would be just see to get much sparring in,... that is the single most important exercise for a fighter

good luck in that upcoming fight!

if I'd to say something, it would be just see to get much sparring in,... that is the single most important exercise for a fighter

I agree with this to an extant, but my, and most others, first 'real' fight came down to conditioning. I'd love to say I had great technique and all that, but it wasn't until the third round when the other guy was completely spent that I was able to actually use any of it.

But ya, sparring fast and hard is probably the single best thing a fighter can do in the weeks leading up to a fight.

Speaking of, where is it Andrew? Out in Richmond? I really want to make it out for that.

its at the agriplex in cloverdale

the rematch between ken tran vs bruce khademi is the main event for the canadian super middle weight title. they fought on songs card in nov and bruce won a decision

i still have to prove to my coach that my knee is fight ready by seeing his physio therapist on wednesday and passing whatever tests he puts my knee through.

i agree centaur im focusing on conditioning. at this level of competition its going to be very basic technique and athleticism that will win fights. i think im going to have a good advantage in terms of clinch strength, as i feel alot stronger than all my training partners @ or around a fighting weight of 170. i need to work a little more on my 3 mile run times

thanks for the wishes deamonarch. im hard pressed to think of anything i enjoy more than sparring, so that shoudnt be a problem

i'm down to come out and watch your demolish.
war andrew!

feb 15

c2 rower and mobility warm up

weighted dips
bw+
25 x5x2
30 x5x3

deadlifts
315x2
335x2
355x2
375x2
375x2
385x2

hammer grip pull ups

bw+
15lbs x5
20x5x3
15x5

bors
115x10x3

myofascial release

notes: good lifting session, my lower back is tender these days for some reason.

You hear anything of the Cloverdale one being canceled? And Songs being moved to the same date?

You hear anything of the Cloverdale one being canceled? And Songs being moved to the same date?

not yet. i hope song will allow elbows. the last i heard we were wearing elbow sleeves but they were still allowed and i know songs shows are sans elbows.

what have you heard about it? i left in the same facility that jason fentons gym is in, i'll ask him next time i see him

not yet. i hope song will allow elbows. the last i heard we were wearing elbow sleeves but they were still allowed and i know songs shows are sans elbows.

what have you heard about it? i left in the same facility that jason fentons gym is in, i'll ask him next time i see him

All I heard was from someone who trains at Songs. I asked when the next fights were and they said the 28th. I said "That's the same as Fentons in Cloverdale." and they said they *thought they heard* it was being canceled.

They weren't sure, so I want to emphasize that.

Elbows for your first fight eh? I'd be more worried about those than bare shins dude. Knees to face or just body?

Also, there may be some Amateur MMA in Surrey in June if your interested. 3 x 3 min round. I'll pm ya details once things get sorted a bit.

no knees to the face. im not to worried about elbows dude, one of my strengths, the closer the range of combat, the better.

june might be interesting. lets see how this goes for me lol. i havent been grappling much lately. a bunch of my training partners are fighting in chilliwack valley fights in april and the AMA event in north van, those events might be good too.

feb 16

muay thai

shadowboxing warm up

static stretches

crossfighting
sparring
cross fighting
sparring
etc

grappling

taught two guys, walked them through the warm up and taught them arm bar from guard and kimura from guard as per coaches request. rolled about 4 rounds

notes: good training. sparring hard with a couple of guys slightly bigger than myself. we was smashing faces, good times

feb 17

roadwork at the track

3 miles in 25 minutes

3x20 ab wheel rollouts from the knees

notes: best run ive had in a while, the 25 minutes is a worst case time, i think i finished quicker than that, i saw a friend at the track that i had to stop and talk to for a bit while the stopwatch was running.

feb 19

fuck i cant keep track of the date anyways...

muay thai

skipping/shadowboxing/clinch fighting warm up

crossfighting

sparring

notes: good hard sparring tonight

feb 20

muay thai

skipping/clinch fighting warm up

crossfighting

focus on leaping left hook as a set up

a counter to someone smothering you ala mike tyson

boxing sparring only

notes: pretty mellow class only 1 person at my level showed so the sparring kinda sucked. went pretty hard last night with a few guys tho so its all good

feb 21

my fight team did "the stairs" today. it was humbling.

11 flights plus some distance between flights x6

holy shitballs

was sore as shit for a few days

monday i did power cleans,incline bench and heavy pull ups

feb 25

ross's intervals

the interval workout on ross training 6 burpees, 12 pushups, 24 squats 200 m sprint

k so the fight card is officially cancelled, i may be fighting on another card tho, possibly a mixed martial arts fight, its still up in the air

today feb 28 my fight team did the firemans run which is just shy of 2 miles in 12 minutes. i finished in a **** hair over 12 minutes which is gay. we did 5 100 meter wind sprints immediately after

notes: although there is no one in my immediate weight class and i am the biggest fighter that fights at 170 or under by far, my gas is the weaksauce compared to the 145-165 pounders, but better than all but one of the guys that fight above 170. two guys that fight at 160 would butt rape me in a cardio competition. its good to measure against my teamates

feb 27

kyokoshin sparring (bare knuckle to the body only, kicks everywhere and all take downs legal)

feb 26

1 hour of muay thai, cross fighting then 4 rounds of sparring

about 4 5 minute rounds of MMA sparring <--- fuckin awesome

march 2

SOHP

115x5x2
125x5x2

squats
225x3
245x3
255x3
265x3