Heavy Bag Hanging advice

drlvegas

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna hang a 100 pounder in the garage. It's about a 25 foot span with 24" on center 2x4 trusses--drywalled in.

My plan is lag bolt a 54" 2x8 to the ceiling across 3 beams & attach the bag in the center.

Should I go up in the attic & screw some 8' 2x4's to the 3 2x4's that will be supporting the weight(spead the load out more)?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I may try this rather than spend more money on a wall hanger. Thanks for that.

Personally I think the 2"x8" would spread the weight enough, at least I hope, because I don't have attic access over the garage. I currently have my bag attached to a single beam and have not had a problem so I am fairly certain you will be ok

I will try to get it done today and post a few pics. That way if my ceiling falls out, you can do the rafter thing.

I'm gonna hang a 100 pounder in the garage. It's about a 25 foot span with 24" on center 2x4 trusses--drywalled in.

My plan is lag bolt a 54" 2x8 to the ceiling across 3 beams & attach the bag in the center.

Should I go up in the attic & screw some 8' 2x4's to the 3 2x4's that will be supporting the weight(spead the load out more)?

Any suggestions appreciated.

You mean you're using the lag bolt to attach the 2x8 to the 2x4s, or you're using the lag bolt to hang the heavy bag from?

Cause using a pretty big eye hook lag bolt thingy and attaching a 100lb bag to it I've definately had that fall out on me.

Hopefully your plan is to lay that 2x8 across and then run a chain around it - that'll definitely hold

You mean you're using the lag bolt to attach the 2x8 to the 2x4s, or you're using the lag bolt to hang the heavy bag from?

Cause using a pretty big eye hook lag bolt thingy and attaching a 100lb bag to it I've definately had that fall out on me.

Hopefully your plan is to lay that 2x8 across and then run a chain around it - that'll definitely hold

The ceiling is drywalled(can't lay the 2x8 on top), so my plan is to lag bolt the 2x10(change in plan) through the drywall to 3 beams with 3/8x5" lag bolts. Then use 2" lag bolts to attach a bag hanger to the 2x10.

The ceiling is drywalled(can't lay the 2x8 on top), so my plan is to lag bolt the 2x10(change in plan) through the drywall to 3 beams with 3/8x5" lag bolts. Then use 2" lag bolts to attach a bag hanger to the 2x10.

Okay, this is what I did. Because my third car garage is recessed about three feet from the two car garage portion of the garage, I was able to do the following.....

1) I used (2) 7/16" x 4" hex head lag bolts with washers to secure a 3 foot 2 x 4 on either side of the recessed portion of the walls (on the wall studs)

2) I then used a 10' - 4" x 4" and ran it across the garage. It sits on top of the 2 x 4's which act as rails.

3) I used heavy gauge 90 degree brackets to secure the 4 x 4 to the 2 x 4's on each side.

4) I attached my heavy bag and double end bag to the 4 x 4. I did purchase a heavy duty spring from a local hardware store ($6.50) and attached it to the bag hanger then the bag.

In total this cost me about $40.00. It was a much cheaper way to go and is strong. I plan to get a ton of use out of it.

Okay, this is what I did. Because my third car garage is recessed about three feet from the two car garage portion of the garage, I was able to do the following.....

1) I used (2) 7/16" x 4" hex head lag bolts with washers to secure a 3 foot 2 x 4 on either side of the recessed portion of the walls (on the wall studs)

2) I then used a 10' - 4" x 4" and ran it across the garage. It sits on top of the 2 x 4's which act as rails.

3) I used heavy gauge 90 degree brackets to secure the 4 x 4 to the 2 x 4's on each side.

4) I attached my heavy bag and double end bag to the 4 x 4. I did purchase a heavy duty spring from a local hardware store ($6.50) and attached it to the bag hanger then the bag.

In total this cost me about $40.00. It was a much cheaper way to go and is strong. I plan to get a ton of use out of it.

Sounds solid, but I've got about a 20' span across.

A 2x10 spanning 3 trusses is more than enough. You may want to go head and place a single 2x4 above tying the trusses togher just to take out any chance of them torquing when the bag swings. Just make sure you use long and thick enough lags and put 2 or three through the 2x10 at each of thethree trusses. The 2x4 you should be OK just using long screws.

I think your dead on.

Your plan is fine.

Do get a swivel to hang the bag from - it just makes things easier and a bit more secure. No chain twisting or wrapping that way.

One word of warning - it will be LOUD when you use the bag. The airspace/attic above the rafters will amplify the various bangs and thuds. Rafters will also transmit some vibration - especially with kicks.

You may also want to put up a pulley system for ease of hanging.

I had mine in my garage, but I had about a million other projects going as well, so I had a pulley for raising and lowering the bag.

If your hanging chains are long enough, try putting a couple of eye/hook bolts in and using a strong bungee to strap the bag to the ceiling - I didn't do that, but it seems like it would work.

Back