healthy grocery list on a budget

babyjay

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Well im pretty broke and im a pretty shity cook that does not know much recipes. So i pretty much go for the bare minimum. Like i eat alot of the same shit all day everyday. Chicken and sandwiches. Heres my list

Fruits

honeydew watermelonds, apples, grapes, bananas and berries

Carbs

i just get sliced whole wheat breat, oatmeal and wild rice (im broke remember)

DAiry and poultry

- 1% milk, cottage cheese, peanut butter, chickent wings, salmon, top sirloin

Veggies

cut up brocollis, carrots and celery in a bag

I mostly east peanut butter sandwiches, milk, chickent and fish. Good nay or yay?

Throw some spinach in there along with some Olive oil and some apple cider vinegar to dress it with.

salmon's pricey.

Chicken wings are mostly fat (skin:meat sucks).

Get frozen chicken breasts. Should run you ~$2 per lbs, tastes like shit, but it's cheap.

Throw some spinach in there along with some Olive oil and some apple cider vinegar to dress it with.

how do i eat spinach? i dont think i cant just pop that shit in my mouth

Look for meat/poultry/fish when it is on sale and buy a ton of it. Then freeze it when you get home.

Get a membership to Costco and buy in bulk. I try to buy as much of my food from there as possible.

i like to get whole wheat or flax spaghetti and some "healthy request" sauce. for about 4 dollars (canadian) you can have about 4-6 servings of decent complex carbs. also a jar of natural peanut butter makes for cheap healthy sandwiches

Fruit and veggies are usually the cheapest stuff around, so rely on those (as you should anyway). Also look for recipes online if you want some, there's tons of stuff out there that's simple and easy to make.

Fruit and veggies are usually the cheapest stuff around, so rely on those (as you should anyway). Also look for recipes online if you want some, there's tons of stuff out there that's simple and easy to make.

oh yeah? can u help me out and show me where?

If that's $, you can go quite far on that budget if you're not in Tokyo.

80-100 bucks a week for yourself?? Thats alot of loot for you man. You can def do good shopping with that. I know that accessories can put a little hurtin though...like all the seasoning and of course the meats...but like someone mentioned...get the meats at Costco or something.

throw out the chicken wings, get chicken breast, Spinach leaves, use is for a salad, Whole wheat pasta like spaghetti noodels very cheap, I just through choppped up chicken breast on mine pasta and some organic sauce... make sure the sauce has no or very little sugar. make sure your getting natural Peanut Butter. For real get a membeship to Costco it will save you in the long run

throw out the chicken wings, get chicken breast, Spinach leaves, use is for a salad, Whole wheat pasta like spaghetti noodels very cheap, I just through choppped up chicken breast on mine pasta and some organic sauce... make sure the sauce has no or very little sugar. make sure your getting natural Peanut Butter. For real get a membeship to Costco it will save you in the long run

chickent breast is so bland. I can eat it maybe once a week or even twice, but nothing more. Kinda makes me gag. How bad are drumsticks? (chicken legs)

chickent breast is so bland. I can eat it maybe once a week or even twice, but nothing more. Kinda makes me gag. How bad are drumsticks? (chicken legs)

Here's a spreadsheet I've worked out to address this exact question I had when trying to create my own food budget. I am able to maintain my weight at 195 lbs spending $12.51/day. It requires some of your own research. Obviously, you can't use all the same foods I've input here because you may not like those foods, can't find them, or costs a different price in your area, but it will tell you the cheapest way to eat what you need.

First, price shop. Get the best rate per serving. Get a notepad and write down the nutritional facts for some of the foods mentioned in the posts previous to this one and write down the cost. Your notes should contain the following:
Price
Serving size
Servings/container
Calories
Fat
Carbs
Protein

Use these notes to calculate price/serving and enter it under the "Price" column (B). Also enter in the rest of your info (Food name/Price/Calories/Fat/Carbs/Protein). The spreadsheet will calculate the cost per Calorie/gram of Fat/Carb/Protein in the yellow highlighted column.

Then if you look at your diet (which should be worked out using a plan I'm not going to get into on this message) and you say, "I'm lacking protein. What's the cheapest source of protein I've priced?" Highlight the yellow Protein column by clicking "N" at the top of the spreadsheet. Under the "DATA" tab, tell the spread sheet to "Sort" the list from "A->Z" (least to greatest value). Now the foods you've entered will be listed in the proper order.

Of course, you'll have to do some sifting here. If you look at my entries, it says "Craisins" are the cheapest protein I've submit. This is because there is no protein and so therefore there is $0 spent on protein. That wouldn't work. A little down from that, you have Hard Red Winter Wheat (highly recommended BTW) and Rye Berries. Those might be cheaper protein than Whey Protein supplements, but how much of these grains am I going to have to eat in order to get the protein I need? I don't know off hand, but I don't have the stomach space for it. Next is Whey Protein supplement, my real answer. Its the cheapest, most reasonable source of Protein I've input.

Message me if this is unclear or if you have problems running the spread sheet.

I can tell you from my experiences: If you can find Hard Red Winter Wheat, replace your rice with this stuff. It has almost as many carbs, more dietary fiber, and loads more Protein (even more protein than "super grain" Quinoa). On top of all of this, it is slightly cheaper than rice. Check for it in your market's bulk isle, especially if you have a Whole Foods, Wild Oats, or equivelant organic food market.

Also, like someone had suggested, find a warehouse that sells food in bulk like CostCo or Sam's Club. I buy deli-style turkey there for ~$2.59/lb whereas if I went to the deli and had this sliced for me I'd pay $4-6/lb. I can get Muscle Milk at Sam's for roughly $1.50/ea, and Protein bars <$1 with 30g Protein.

Other suggestions:
Solid White Albacore canned ~$1/can
Eggs
Oats

^ that was very imformative, thank you for taking the time to type that out.

Back