Headgear question

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can I use the same headgear for boxing and grappling. If so what brand do you recommend?

Wow, creepy... I was *just* searching the forum for answers about headgear myself. I'm actually looking for a recommendation for a piece of gear that I can spar in and roll in. I just had nasal surgery today, so for 6 weeks I've got to keep my nose protected as much as possible. I saw something I thought was interesting on eBay (link below), but thought I'd see what others had to recommend.

This is the eBay item I'd mentioned from Warrior-One

Mojorisin99 said:
Can I use the same headgear for boxing and grappling. If so what brand do you recommend?
any reason you want head gear for grappling, I mean besides what covers your ears?

infamous mattyd said:
any reason you want head gear for grappling, I mean besides what covers your ears?

Probably for MMA training, headgear that is both good for stand up but not too restrictive while your rolling or striking on the ground.

And, as I'd mentioned in my followup post to his, I've got to keep things safe on my nose for 6 weeks. "Wheee"

mr_davil said:
And, as I'd mentioned in my followup post to his, I've got to keep things safe on my nose for 6 weeks. "Wheee"
notice how I didn't quote you in my question??

Hey guys, here is a link if you want to read a review of my headgear:

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=549

We use my headgear at the gym for our MMA and Self-Defense training. Out of all of the headgears I've tried before, this one was designed as best we could to stay on and give you a good amount of protection with a good amount of ventilation. So far so good. If you have any questions, ask away.

Keven
www.warrior-one.com

P.S. If you think you might want one, let me know as soon as possible because I am down to about my last 4 in each of the sizes. The next shipment should be coming in about March/April.

I'm deginitely interested, Keven, and would like to get in on this batch. A couple of quick questions for you:

1) If I'm doing karate along with BJJ, would you recommend the Leather/Synthetic MMA/Boxing/Self Defense version? Or the foam headgear with the addition of the metal face cage? I'd prefer the clear screen, for sure.

About the leather/synth version:

2) Is the clear face cover removable?
3) Does one material run warmer than the other?
4) Is there anything for swear absorption in the mask? I typicall train with a bandana, so I was just curious.

Thanks much!

Hi,

Master-One, do you know how heavy of an impact, and how strong of a force the Plexiglass face shield can take?

I am wondering if it could take a blow from a wooden katana-type stick, and if it can take Silva-stomps to the dome/grill.

We use that headgear at my vale tudo gym, and it is pretty good for full contact mma sparring. Hurt like hell to hit the damn thing with mma gloves though.

mr_davil said:
I'm deginitely interested, Keven, and would like to get in on this batch. A couple of quick questions for you:

1) If I'm doing karate along with BJJ, would you recommend the Leather/Synthetic MMA/Boxing/Self Defense version? Or the foam headgear with the addition of the metal face cage? I'd prefer the clear screen, for sure.

About the leather/synth version:

2) Is the clear face cover removable?
3) Does one material run warmer than the other?
4) Is there anything for swear absorption in the mask? I typicall train with a bandana, so I was just curious.

Thanks much!

Hello Mr. Davil,

You ask some really good questions. I'll give you the pros and cons of both headgears based on my experiences with them.

Pro's of the Full Foam Headgear/Face Cage system:

1. Full face and head coverage (including top and back of head).

2. Face cage is easily removable with velcro attachments.

3. Breathes reasonably well and is easy to clean out after done.

4. Easy on/off rear velcro system.

Cons

1. After a while the foam can tear and crack fairly easily. But you should be able to get a good year of use out of it.

2. Headgear can tend to get twisted up and come off during intense grappling and stand up work.

**Make sure that if you get the foam and cage system, that you get the FULL face head gear. This is the best system for staying on fairly decently.

Pro's of the Synthetic/Leather MMA/Self Defense Headgear:

1) A snug "chin pocket" to keep the headgear in place when sparring, as well as for keeping your mouth closed to avoid breaking a jaw. This is really the key in keeping this headgear in place so that it does it better than most headgears.

2) Super Strong Plexiglass face shield that can take very heavy impact. It has good open ventilation and won't fog up and block your vision.

3) Slightly elevated placement for the plexiglass, so that the student has to keep their chin down in order to see properly through the face shield. This is something special in our headgear that makes it different than some of the others out there.

4) Good breatheability as this headgear has an open top, and a number of well placed ventilations in the plexiglass cover.

5) Easy on/off velcro system in the back with padding for the back of the head and can easily be adjusted to fit different sized heads.

6) Has bigger ear pockets, which gives more room for those sensitive cauliflower ears, so that they don't rub as much :wink:

7) Can easily be wiped out after training.

Cons

1) No protection on the top of the head means you have to be attentive in your striking. (We find though that with handgear on or knee pads on, the top of the head is alright because it so hard up there and for the most part you don't want to be stiking there anyways.)

2) Plexiglass face cage is not removeable.

So I hope this helps out. Too answer your two final questions:

I don't find any of the materials of the headgears to be hotter than any others. They all seem to be reasonably ventilated.

I would recommend wearing a bandana on the inside to help with the sweat absorption. The leather headgear definitely absorbs the best compared to the synthetic leather and the foam. But you'll be sweating and need a bandana and a towel around to help with the sweat managment :D

Let me know if you need anything else,

Keven

www.warrior-one.com
ebay: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmodernmartialarts57h0QQhtZ-1

wtf? that headgear has some kind of plastic in front of it?

the best headgear period is top ten, almost everyone uses it here in the dutch boxing union(NBB)

tokian said:
Hi,

Master-One, do you know how heavy of an impact, and how strong of a force the Plexiglass face shield can take?

I am wondering if it could take a blow from a wooden katana-type stick, and if it can take Silva-stomps to the dome/grill.

Hello Tokian,

I'm taking it you are trying to be funny. If not, and you are serious, we'd love you to do those experiments for us and give us the test results. Please be sure to include the pics of the tests :wink:

Keven

Bcva boxing said:
wtf? that headgear has some kind of plastic in front of it?

the best headgear period is top ten, almost everyone uses it here in the dutch boxing union(NBB)

Bvca,

Don't know what you mean by "wtf? has some kind of plastic in front of it?"

The plastic is called plexiglass and is super strong and creates a good visibility for the user and protection for the face.

I've heard good things about the top ten headgear but don't have any experience with it. Tell us why so many dutch people use it?

Keven

what i meant by the plastic is,that you cant use it in competition right? cuz it can hurt you opponenents hand. its not allowed here i think.they dont even sell those in holland
top ten is the biggest brand used in holland,it was the olypic brand(now its green hill),and the arethe thinnest,but offer very good shock absortion, google it,and you`ll find out

warrior-one.com said:
Scorcho,

Which type do you use at your gym: The foam or the leather one?

Leather. It offers enough protection, even when getting smashed with elbows when mounted.

I take boxing, MMA, and Judo seperately I would like a headgear for all three. Obviously one for sparring in boxing but I also want to prevent cauliflower ear when I grapple in judo and MMA.

warrior-one.com said:
Hello Tokian,

I'm taking it you are trying to be funny. If not, and you are serious, we'd love you to do those experiments for us and give us the test results. Please be sure to include the pics of the tests :wink:

Keven

Okay, now all i need is a working model. If you are serious ( I was ) I'd be happy to test these things. The face-gear build looks very agile and light, and being built for MMA it was made so grappling is actually applicable. Any other face-shields are too bulky (i.e. fencing masks) for fighting. This means that sticks/swords could be applied to an MMA combat environment without the hassle of broken faces.

IMO, thats worth testing, and yeah, I'd be happy to document my findings with pictures AND literature.

Back