Hayastan Grappling

Japwizard

White Belt
Reaction score
anybody competed in these events, i am intrested so i thought i'd ask

is it some sort of Armenian traditional wrestling???

I have no idea what it is, does anybody know anything about it? I'm interested now

Its the club name of Gokor Chivichyan and Gene Lebell, I believe. Judo/Sambo/Catch wrestling. Hayastan Grappling System.

Q mystic is on the right track. The Hayastan grappling events are usually a two or so day event being comprised of a Gokor seminar (Occasionally Karo will be there, or even Gene Lebell.. if so they will be listed before hand) and also a tournament. Primarily No-Gi, however you can wear a Gi if you'd like. It's submission grappling style.. rules can be found here http://www.hayastangrapplingchallenge.com/rules1.asp

Very good event and for sure worth attending if you're considering.

Pretty reasonable.. If I'm correct 40 dollars preregistered for the tournament alone and 125 for the tournament and seminar

Jason Pair has nailed the question.

Yep, my training partners went to the one they just had in January up in Kentucky. I think the next one is in one of the Carolinas, but I could be mistaken. Pretty decent event. They had about 160 grapplers show up at the last one...a lot more then they expected. So, the events are gaining in popularity, and they're becoming a good regional opportunity for those in the Southeast.

The rules are a little different than the typical stuff out there. A little more liberal with the leglocks. The scoring is also WAY diferent than the Brazilian flavor tournaments. They fight 3 rounds (3 minutes, 2 minutes, and 1 minute). The 1st round is no points, and the only thing that counts is submission. They start scoring points in the second round for takedowns and position. If it's tied on points after the second round then the third round is sudden death...first clean takedown wins.

It's pretty much the most bad ass and complete grapplign system in the world. you get submission wrestling, traditional judo, sambo, and catch wrestling all combined together by Lebell and Gokor, who have almost 100 years of combined real world combat experience. If I could afford it, I would move to LA and train there daily

Those rules are killer. MF, how did you find that point system to be?

Jason Pair said:
Q mystic is on the right track. The Hayastan grappling events are usually a two or so day event being comprised of a Gokor seminar (Occasionally Karo will be there, or even Gene Lebell.. if so they will be listed before hand) and also a tournament. Primarily No-Gi, however you can wear a Gi if you'd like. It's submission grappling style.. rules can be found here http://www.hayastangrapplingchallenge.com/rules1.asp

Very good event and for sure worth attending if you're considering.

Yep, it was founded by Gokor/Lebell, it's a sub grappling tourney, named after there combined fighting system called Hayastan Grappling, which is Judo/Sambo/Catch Wrestling

Hayastangrapplingchallenge.com is now updated and fixed with all results and pics. Sorry for the delay. We were having problems with our ftp account but it is now fixed. Make sure to check out the upcoming events page to see info on all new events.

One of my judo coaches entered actually and got knee barred as a career ending injury. Vs a Sambo guy. My coach did Sambo in Russia for a year. Shit happens.:D

I shot the shit with Oleg Takatarov. I said, "You still do judo?". He said," A little bit". I think that is what he said. That is all.:icon_lol:

what are the rules, and point system?

My brother, cousin and a friend competed in one of these events and said it was corrupt. If a fighter was from the hayastan team they would let them cheat. One guy low kicked my brother multiple times, wasn't called on it, later my brother got the same guy in a leg lock and the ref stopped them to tell them they had 10 seconds left, so they restarted and the guy just took it since he knew it was almost over and was getting ready to tap.

Back