• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Have you tried any Japanese curry dishes?

I've found it to be alright, filling, but it doesn't blow me away.

There used to be a Japanese restaurant at Ealing Broadway, that did a meal, miso soup and unlimited green tea for a fiver. The chef made Yaki-Udon, chicken, egg and pepper with thick Udon noodles covered in this thick spicy sauce, and I haven't found anything remotely like it since, even when ordering the exact same dish from elsewhere.

Breaks my heart.

I can make Thai curry because the paste mix is out there. I am not going to make it from scratch lol. I don't have a mortar/pestle. I also don't know what half the ingredients are. Indian food scares me. I look at the ingredients list and I have to buy like 30 different spices to make just one rice dish. It's too much work. I rather go buy it from outside. It's still relatively affordable.

This is the most popular brand at asian grocery stores and I remember the same stuff being around in the 80's:

1716469178835.png

It's super easy to just throw this into western style beef or chicken soup because it already has potatoes, carrots, celery and makes for "authentic" Japanese curry.

I've tried store bought thai curry and it just wasn't as good as restaurant because it was preserved and had a ton of salt and preservatives. Plus no way am I stocking bamboo shoots and WTF-ever else is in thai curry.

Indian curry I have no idea. I'd be open to do it at home if I could find pre-made cubes to add to chunked chicken. But closest I've seen is specific dry spices at the store and then you have to prepare a bunch of other shit.

Last edited:
I can make Thai curry because the paste mix is out there. I am not going to make it from scratch lol. I don't have a mortar/pestle. I also don't know what half the ingredients are. Indian food scares me. I look at the ingredients list and I have to buy like 30 different spices to make just one rice dish. It's too much work. I rather go buy it from outside. It's still relatively affordable.

Thai curry, using freshly made paste, is so much better you can taste the individual flavors.

Use premade Garam masala for Indian food that takes out a lot of the individual ingredients make sure to use fresh garlic, fresh ginger, fresh tomatoes and onions and reduce them till their almost like a paste.

Pretty much ate it since I was a kid. CoCo Curry House came to Hawaii when I was in high school in the mid 90s and we would go there often. They even had a curry challenge where you have to eat a giant plate of curry within a certain timeframe. If you do you get it free. Prices were always affordable and the food was good. Love their Katsu Curry. Even till this day their prices are reasonable.

You can make most Indian curries with a basic base of Garam Masala, then use fresh herbs (like ginger, chilies, eschalllots, garlic) for the rest.

OIP.wdjnTaPyW2t2d-VOrOMi1AHaFj

I used to frequent this place OFTEN when I was on Okinawa. AMAZING curry. They have a select restaurants in the U.S. now.

Cannot recall the name, but had a Japanese curry that came with noodles and beef. The curry had incredible depth of flavor. Wish I could remember. It looked like that first picture, but maybe a tad darker. Might be the same. Very delicious.

I love almost all things Japanese, but when I tried that Golden Curry it was very mid compared to other curries I have had. I would like to try one from a restaurant like in the OP. That looked great.

Is that with omu rice (egg wrapped rice)? Stuffs the shit!

Yeah. It's decent but actually pretty low on the list of best types of curry imho.

I love it and make it a few times a year. Very easy to make. It’s more of a stew than a curry though. Any Sherbros who cook this need to add a few caramelized onions to your recipe if you don’t already.

It’s delicious and better than any stew recipe (imo).

I love it and make it a few times a year. Very easy to make. It’s more of a stew than a curry though. Any Sherbros who cook this need to add a few caramelized onions to your recipe if you don’t already.

It’s delicious and better than any stew recipe (imo).
Curry is just gravy

Not into them, Japanese food is amazing but curries not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back