• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Have you tried any Japanese curry dishes?

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
I've tried it before a few times, but there's a new restaurant that opened up by my house that's owned by a real Japanese family. They make authentic Japanese curry dishes and also they own another store right beside it that make authentic Japanese cheesecake.

The Japanese curry they make is absolutely delicious. I'm addicted to it.

kWooYky.png

O8fJBkz.png

japanese curry is great
make it spicy and and have some omlete rice and that is good eating

I make this all the time. It's honestly the easiest thing to make and you can't fuck it up. You can almost throw anything in it and it will still taste ok or similar to restaurant quality.. The powder you can make yourself or you can just buy the powder and make your own cubes. It's just flour and butter with the powder. If you are super lazy then you can just buy the cubes. It takes maybe less than hour to finish cooking.

Japanese curry is weird like that. It's never really the best tasting curry dish but it's never bad either. It's a solid 6-7.5 meal all the time.

I make this all the time. It's honestly the easiest thing to make and you can't fuck it up. You can almost throw anything in it and it will still taste ok or similar to restaurant quality.. The powder you can make yourself or you can just buy the powder and make your own cubes. It's just flour and butter with the powder. If you are super lazy then you can just buy the cubes. It takes maybe less than hour to finish cooking.

Japanese curry is weird like that. It's never really the best tasting curry dish but it's never bad either. It's a solid 6-7.5 meal all the time.

Pretty much this. Japanese curry is pretty good and easy to make at home but no way is it as good as Thai or Indian curry.

I used to throw Japanese curry cubes into leftover beef or chicken soup and it’s a good way to get more mileage out of leftovers.

Last edited:
In Japan, I got the impression Japanese use the word curry referring to something that looks like stew. I've also heard them use the word stew separately.

If there was a place here that sold flakey curry puffs (filled with curry chicken, potato, carrots), I'd buy.

In Japan, I got the impression Japanese use the word curry referring to something that looks like stew. I've also heard them use the word stew separately.

If there was a place here that sold flakey curry puffs (filled with curry chicken, potato, carrots), I'd buy.
Go to a Thai restaurant. They should have it. It's a pain to make because of the frying. You can make a huge batch then freeze it though. I guess you can air fryer it.

Pretty much this. Japanese curry is pretty good and easy to make at home but no way is it as good as Thai or Indian curry.

I used throw Japanese curry cubes into leftover beef or chicken soup and it’s a good way to get more mileage out of leftovers.
I can make Thai curry because the paste mix is out there. I am not going to make it from scratch lol. I don't have a mortar/pestle. I also don't know what half the ingredients are. Indian food scares me. I look at the ingredients list and I have to buy like 30 different spices to make just one rice dish. It's too much work. I rather go buy it from outside. It's still relatively affordable.

Go to a Thai restaurant. They should have it. It's a pain to make because of the frying. You can make a huge batch then freeze it though. I guess you can air fryer it.
I thought curry puffs are baked.

I thought curry puffs are baked.
Nah it's usually deep fried. You can bake it but I think it's like the healthy version. You should look up the recipe. It's not too hard to make. I just don't like making dough because I am not good at it. There is an easy version and a harder to make spiral dough version.

I love spicy asian food, but for some reason i hate some of the spices in curry. And ive tried a handful of different recomended brands since curry varies from brand to brand. Some were worse then others, but i still havent found one i can tolerate.

I make it often, usually with carrot, onion, potato, & tofu. Sometimes I'll switch the tofu for shrimp, or possibly mushroom.

If it's going to be a once-in-awhile thing, I recommend S&B brand. They offer a lot of different "heat" varieties, so you should be able to find one you like.

If you want to make your own, there are a lot of unusual spices (assuming you don't make other curries already), but many people cheat and use "curry powder" as a kind of patch (aka British curry).

Fun fact: The Brits introduced curry to Japan.

Last edited:
Japanese curry is top tier among all curry. Real easy to make with the packet’s

Back