Have you ever tried Chinese "Hot Pot?"

Bornstarch

Holy Paladin
@Brown
Reaction score
Just tried it for the first time today. Fucking amazing.

They give you this little stove with a bowl and you dip shit into it. Spicy as fuck, but couldn't stop eating. I tried the Ribeye and some other shit.

MY59neB.jpeg

hot-pot-at-home-10-650x975.jpg

Hell yeah ! Hot pot is the shit .
Place by my house has that option or you can get a mini charcoal grill to cook on. It's all you can eat and they have sides you can order with that deal , usually get the cheese corn .
It's a cool way to try a buncha different stuff at once .

Yeah, me and my lady eat it somewhat frequently. I'd highly recommend it.

Agreed.

Also, I hate cooking, so the idea of going out to eat, then cooking myself seems silly. If I didn’t hate cooking, I have a custom kitchen I built for wifey at home, filled with expensive tools so we don’t have to pay someone else to cook for ourselves.

Went to Hot Pot once a few years back, paid over $200 for a fam of 4 (w/2 young kids) to eat what was basically glorified ramen noodles IMO.

YMMV
Looks like fun I guess if you’re with a crew, I prefer to have my food cooked and plated for me when I go to a restaurant

I have the hotpot itself at home. Eat it almost every Chinese New Year, we make the chicken stock ourselves and buy premium meat and seafood. So we know it's not unhealthy. Other than CNY, my family eat it around once every 2 months or so at home.

My friends usually buy these pre-packaged soup base from Hai Di Lao, I'm assuming hotpot goers in USA might know this brand too. I'll say at least 30% to 50% of Chinese in South East Asia have hotpot itself at home.

1725859109853.png

Going out to restaurants for hotpot is very popular as well but get pricey. If I visit HDL, it usually come up to $50 per pax.

You guys probably thought it was spicy MJ, amirite?

The spicy mala hot pot is all the craze now but I'm not a fan. That shit sets my asshole on fire.

What's an absolute must-eat when I go to China is their beef hot pot. Freshly cut beef from pretty much every part of the damn cow.

And the meatballs are so freakin' good. They bounce off the table like ping pong balls and squirts in your mouth.
<{anton}>

61741692_1120010908200017_4544783355807268864_n.jpg

Yeah i like it. Which one did you go to? I used to go to the one on Sahara and Ft Apache but it closed.

Looks good but like fuck am I cooking my own meal, having paid for it. So no, never tried it - there's a place really close to my flat actually but never been tempted to go.

hot pot is good and astaple or new year
I personally go to the all you can eat hot pot buffets
good way to stack up on protien plus hot pot is usually a party or celebration food so going their is usually a good time to break out the booze and get schwifty

I am not a big fan of the high end hot pot restaurants though

I am definately a fan, I also tried the japanese version called Shabu Shabu a couple of months ago, less spicy but very tasty.

I live in Hong Kong and many moons ago had a local girlfriend who took me to a hot pot restaurant. All I can remember is that it was very expensive, slow to eat as you're cooking the stuff, and tasted so mediocre.
Never again.

I would try it, but cooking my own food at a restaurant isn't really my thing. Done korean BBQ and fondue at different places, and I always left wishing I went somewhere else. I don't even like constructing my own fajitas at restaurants, let alone cooking. Steep price to pay when I am doing the work. Nice racket they got going on there.

It's ok, but like others have said, I can cook at home and I'd rather not pay to do it when I'm out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Scratch
Back