Have people forgotten Rountree's destruction of K-1 legend and Glory champ Gokhan Saki?

Saki wasn't good at MMA, Peireira is. Isn't that a big difference?

Peireira and Adesanya prepared for a long time before going over to MMA. Cedric Doumbe has also put in a lot of work.

Saki and a lot of other K1 guys just did MMA for shits n giggles to pick up checks. He was never a mixed martial artist. He barely trained in MMA.

Saki was somewhat retired by then. He didn't fight for a few years before he started MMA. He was also not ready for the UFC. He had pretty much no experience. There is also the issue of testing. Saki showed up deflated and out of shape. Saki's style is also completely different. He used a high guard shell for kickboxing and he was a combination fighter. He couldn't do that in MMA.

i remember, and i think it’s a very impressive win, notwithstanding any asterisks about the state of saki’s career. fact is khalil beat him standing, using the same attributes that could make a difference in this fight: explosiveness, speed, power. it’s not a conclusive statement, but it says something.

now that said, khalil has shown a lack of consistency. he has moments of brilliance, but he unravels quickly when things don’t go his way. also, his chin is not made of iron, granite, or any other such substance. even if he pulls off this win, i expect him to end up like the lhw version of cody garbrandt.

Did people forget that while Saki was a great kickboxer he was a noob in MMA? Also he got knocked out 9457 times in kickboxing (slight exaggeration).

He's inconsistent, underperforming, and waste his potential sometimes, Khalil is a monster when he's serious.

Back