• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hate Running, but love rolling. Advice?

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My trainer wants me to run as well, but I'm able to make 2 jits classes a day ( I JUST NEED TO GO!)

How well would my cardio improve if I did 0 running, but trained jits 2 times a day???

Also, ALL I WANT is to have better cardio, breathe better.. Any help on the topic at all are appreciated

well running it all in your mind dude... I use to hate running (even ran track back in high school) but once you get a stride going you will get use to it. one thing i learned is that alot of people are so bent on trying to run 4+ miles every day or some outrageous number of miles.
You pretty much have to be in tune with you feel give you a good workout.

I have been running the same 2 miles everyday for the past 6 years. what you have develop is what they call a tolerence for breathing aka Second wind.

once you start running you will find you self getting less and less tired the ability to keep your breathing down to a slow pace. Now you are getting control of it. Dont get me wrong. You will still get tired after running so much but you will recover alot faster than yo usually do after you build up a tolerance.

after you get that done. the problem then becomes how much do you run till your legs gives out. NOW Thats a task in its own ...

BUt what it comes down to it that everyone is different in they techniques. you just have to develop one that will fit you body and style that you are looking for.

I know at least 2 guys who don`t do any running and I`ve never seen them gassing. All they do is roll, roll and then roll some more.

I`m actually trying to cut down on the running and increase rolling too. Think about it. I do 2 sessions a day, maybe rolling 5-6 rounds each, doing one round on, one off. Plus before the evening session I may also do 30-40minutes running to get some steady state cardio in.

This guy on the other hand will do just the afternoon session and spar 10 consecutive rounds. So in one session he`s done the same amount of rolling I`ve done in 2, plus he`s also done a long session of steady state cardio - and as a big bonus he used a sport specific exercise to do it.

Rolling for cardio is just a very efficient way of training IMHO.

^^ thats what I'm shooting for. I just want to make sure its possible and im not an idiot

If you can increase intensity while rolling and challenge yourself that way, it would not be absolutely necessary to run. I do think it's something you should really look into if you want to get better. Running isn't that bad if you have some headphones. Do you hate it because you gas, or is it because of boredom? If you hate it because you gas, you need to change something.

cause my fat jiggles. lol naw, Its a combination of boredom, and distraction

cause my fat jiggles. lol naw, Its a combination of boredom, and distraction

Well there are substitutes for running. Like I said, only rolling could work as long as you have no problem bringing up the intensity certain days. If not, look into other forms of cardio work that keep you entertained.

Try sprints? They are short and sweet.

The thing about running is the first 10-15 minutes or so is the hardest and most unconfertable part.

But once you get really warmed up and start sweating, you start to get in your zone and the rest is a breeze.

Towards the end it feels good, and you feel good after.

The key is to keep your mind elsewhere. Also, like someone said, you need to get used to it if you're not a runner, but you'll eventually get used to it or maybe love it.

If your trainer wants you to run for cardio purposes, than you should explain him that cardio can be done even better with weights, intervals and circuits.

If your trainer wants you to run for cardio purposes, than you should explain him that cardio can be done even better with weights, intervals and circuits.

Thanks for the useless advice...

Anyways, Oblivian, I dunno how hard you run or how easy you roll but I usually find rolling way harder than running. Do you start from knees by any chance? I was actually going to suggest the TS to start from running and then as he builds up his stamina bit by bit switch to rolling.

Also the thing about stamina is being able to pace yourself. You might have great conditioning but if you just blow it in the first minute of a match it becomes worthless. Now, pacing yourself in running is pretty easy while in grappling it`s much more difficult. Doing more rolling is going to teach you to listen to your body while you grapple and that`s a huge advantage.

That being said you may still want to do running or other conditioning exercises to target stecific aspects if your conditioning for example to address a particular weakness.

Better cardio with weights, wtf? ha.

I have the same problem, I just can't seem to motivate myself to run. Instead I'll end up jump roping for like 2-3 5 minute sessions. I know it's not the same, but running is just such a damn chore. It's also so boring, especially by yourself.

The only way I can actually get a decent run in is with a partner. It gives me something to focus on, ( talking, etc. ) as well as it's someone to motivate you to push it that little extra bit and vice versa.

Hm, whats with the negativity here? :D
The guy is training BJJ and his coach is convinced that he can improve his cardio (for BJJ) with running, which is the same as improving wrestling cardio with boxing!
How can you do cardio for grappling with weights? A simple clean and press, executed explosively on singles with 10 seconds intervals in between reps for 10 minutes.
Using kettlebells is an option too.
Magic 300 is a great routine with weights as well...

Hm, whats with the negativity here? :D
The guy is training BJJ and his coach is convinced that he can improve his cardio (for BJJ) with running, which is the same as improving wrestling cardio with boxing!
How can you do cardio for grappling with weights? A simple clean and press, executed explosively on singles with 10 seconds intervals in between reps for 10 minutes.
Using kettlebells is an option too.
Magic 300 is a great routine with weights as well...

Dude, you`re digging yourself a conditioning grave.

Ok, doing weights for cardio is just very inefficient. You won`t be able to do enough volume to really work on anything other than anaerobic endurance. The downside of that is that if you do things like complexes too often you may end up developing mucles too dependent on the anaerobic lactic energy system. What this means is that you`ll eventually end up gassing quicker.

Intervals can be good but then again you need to have a certain aerobic base before you do them. Also, you need to know what interval protocol to use and why.

I guess circuits would be good. I don`t like them that much but that`s just me. I find they just make you tired and give you DOMS just like rolling but they don`t teach you anything. So I prefer rolling. Then again, alot of good fighters do circuits all the time and they seem to be working for them.

Then, doing clean+press for cardio may not be such a good idea. Not only for the reasons above but also because it`s a technical lift. So once you start getting fatigued your technique starts getting sloppy and it just becomes too easy to get injured. Using kettlebells may be easier, but again you`ll need more than 10 minutes to develop anything. And the Magic 300 workout I have no idea what it is.

One last thing. Yes, running isn`t sports specific. But weight lifting isn`t sports specific either. On the other hand rolling is, hence I said in my first post that I think it`s a very efficient way of doing steady state cardio.

Anyways, Oblivian, I dunno how hard you run or how easy you roll but I usually find rolling way harder than running. Do you start from knees by any chance? I was actually going to suggest the TS to start from running and then as he builds up his stamina bit by bit switch to rolling.

I'm actually the same way, but I figured it's because I'm normally getting my ass kicked rolling...haha. I was under the assumption that he is already rolling all of the time but his coach is noticing that his cardio is lacking during rolls. I would typically say rolling would be a great way to improve cardio, but if he's already doing that and it's not working, he needs to try something else.

I guess it's hard to say without really knowing specifics. Truthfully, I don't think boredom is an excuse to not run. It's not as if running takes that much time. Pop on some headphones and have at it.

Ok, doing weights for cardio is just very inefficient. You won`t be able to do enough volume to really work on anything other than anaerobic endurance. The downside of that is that if you do things like complexes too often you may end up developing mucles too dependent on the anaerobic lactic energy system. What this means is that you`ll eventually end up gassing quicker.

Intervals can be good but then again you need to have a certain aerobic base before you do them. Also, you need to know what interval protocol to use and why.

I guess circuits would be good. I don`t like them that much but that`s just me. I find they just make you tired and give you DOMS just like rolling but they don`t teach you anything. So I prefer rolling. Then again, alot of good fighters do circuits all the time and they seem to be working for them.

Then, doing clean+press for cardio may not be such a good idea. Not only for the reasons above but also because it`s a technical lift. So once you start getting fatigued your technique starts getting sloppy and it just becomes too easy to get injured. Using kettlebells may be easier, but again you`ll need more than 10 minutes to develop anything. And the Magic 300 workout I have no idea what it is.

One last thing. Yes, running isn`t sports specific. But weight lifting isn`t sports specific either. On the other hand rolling is, hence I said in my first post that I think it`s a very efficient way of doing steady state cardio.

I dont think you are talking from personal experience, but anyway.
When you grapple, you are working with the opponents weight and thats the different with the striking arts- your condition should be based on lots of lifting, controling and pulling of weights, close to your opponents body weight. The main reason why you gass, should be because you are not able to work with weights.
There is no serious competitor on high level, who wouldnt practice with weights.
The reason why you use oly lifts is because they are compound moves and include the entire body, which is more similar to grappling. You dont need to lift weights, close to the oly records, but enough to practice explosiveness during time, similar to 2-3 rounds of rolling. You can get injured with running as well, so if you really want to develop good condition, learn the lifts tech first and then you can blast away.
If you develop muscles, those muscles will be used to deal with the stress that you put them under, which is the main difference with bodybuilding.
Intervals and circuits are specific training, but thats why the TS is posting here, because he wants to know what is good for him to do. There are lots of those type of protocols in the sticky treads above.
10 minutes of tabata training with weights will do miracles for your cardio and also will burn a lot of fat
Magic 300:
25 pull ups
50 push ups
50 box jumps
50 deadlifts
50 russian twists
50 clean and press
25 pull ups
I do that in 16 minutes.

I dont think you are talking from personal experience, but anyway.
When you grapple, you are working with the opponents weight and thats the different with the striking arts- your condition should be based on lots of lifting, controling and pulling of weights, close to your opponents body weight. The main reason why you gass, should be because you are not able to work with weights.
There is no serious competitor on high level, who wouldnt practice with weights.
The reason why you use oly lifts is because they are compound moves and include the entire body, which is more similar to grappling. You dont need to lift weights, close to the oly records, but enough to practice explosiveness during time, similar to 2-3 rounds of rolling. You can get injured with running as well, so if you really want to develop good condition, learn the lifts tech first and then you can blast away.
If you develop muscles, those muscles will be used to deal with the stress that you put them under, which is the main difference with bodybuilding.
Intervals and circuits are specific training, but thats why the TS is posting here, because he wants to know what is good for him to do. There are lots of those type of protocols in the sticky treads above.
10 minutes of tabata training with weights will do miracles for your cardio and also will burn a lot of fat
Magic 300:
25 pull ups
50 push ups
50 box jumps
50 deadlifts
50 russian twists
50 clean and press
25 pull ups
I do that in 16 minutes.

If that`s your opinion go for it.

Back