Hate flying. Business trip Sunday. Forecast: Isolated t-storms

haha I have xanax...will be taking two, they should be pretty potent since I've only ever taken it once before (on another flight) and it cut my fear in half. Maybe if I take two this time it will work even better.

That's cool, and I've read that they purposefully land on one side of the wheels to account for crosswinds
There's another video with the conversation between the control tower and a female pilot who tried to land in Rotterdam two or three times, but had to fly to Amsterdam to land there. It was absolutely impressive how calm and collected she was while flying through a storm with her plane running out of fuel.

Yeah, I'm headed to Bermuda tomorrow and the weather is looking shitty. That airport is scary too, because it looks like you're going to crash into the ocean because of how small the Island is.

The thing is, once you're in the air, it's out of your hands. Your pilots are highly trained professionals and it's best to just trust them and not worry too much.

strong username to post content. good luck, dude.

be thankful youre not going to Hong Kong:

I grew up in Hong Kong and we'd fly pretty frequently. The landings into Kai Tak airport were ridiculous. flying just over buildings, seeing the faces of people hanging out laundry and the turbulence was so severe at times. As kids we used to treat it like a carnival ride clapping and laughing everytime the plane would drop.

Pilots are generally super competent - you'll be fine in isolated thunderstorms.

Don't worry dude, you'll be good...

Maybe...

Yeah, I'm headed to Bermuda tomorrow and the weather is looking shitty. That airport is scary too, because it looks like you're going to crash into the ocean because of how small the Island is.

The thing is, once you're in the air, it's out of your hands. Your pilots are highly trained professionals and it's best to just trust them and not worry too much.

lol, for years I worked with Aviation Students who went on to become Pilots for major airlines ....lets just say after I got to know these kids my fear of flying has increased 10 fold. :icon_chee

lol, for years I worked with Aviation Students who went on to become Pilots for major airlines ....lets just say after I got to know these kids my fear of flying has increased 10 fold. :icon_chee

Haha, I don't doubt it. Spare me the details though, as I prefer blissful ignorance in regards to this subject.

I know the Mayberry is wholly comprised of cool, assertive gentlemen who, aside from never flying coach, certainly wouldn't suffer ruffled feathers over trivial incidents such as this. Nevertheless, try to relate as best you can, and cast forth your judgements.

I spent the last 2 days in Minneapolis for my sister's wedding, just returning early this afternoon. The return flight to Los Angeles was around 3.5 hours. Running on insufficient sleep from an eventful weekend, and mildly hungover, it was a pleasant little bit of luck that I was assigned a window seat wherein I could rest my head against the wall and not have to worry about moving out of the way for other passengers mid-flight.

It so happened that the passenger next to me was a kid of about 9 years of age, and his mother to the left of him. Directly across the aisle sat his father.
So sometime before take-off, I overheard this kid start telling his mom that he wanted to sit by the window, and what followed amid hushed whispers were two discernible words that sent a reverberating "FFFFFUUUUUU" through my brain. "Ask Him."

I tried to make myself unapproachable. I really did. Pretending to be asleep; don't-bother-me eyes; poor hearing; I tried them all, in that order. But this kid was persistent. When I politely declined to give up my seat, his mom who was tuned in to what was happening gave me a quick, unfriendly glare, and then turned to her husband, a yuppie-looking 30-something. A moment later he looks at me and says "C'mon, he's a kid, please let him have it." By this time I'm noticing more unfriendly glances directed my way from nearby passengers, and I'm feeling rather annoyed. "Look," I replied with forced frivolousness. "your kid is already going to enjoy this flight about 10 times more than I am. Why increase that disparity?" To which he just squinted his eyes at me and shook his head disparagingly, saying "That's some bizarre logic, man." Annoyed as I was, I took a more direct approach: "Sorry. This is my seat, so I'm going to sit here." And that was that.

At my first destination. Does this mean I'll probably be circling in the air until we can land? It's also 5-6 days away, so maybe the forecast will change?

If you're scared to fly you'll love this. In '08 coming home from a business trip we hit the worst turbulence I had ever been in, I mean if you didn't have a belt on you'd leave your seat level of turbulence. Ass puckering, literally. After about twenty minutes of that, the flight smooths out and the pilot says over the intercom that we're making our final approach to Phoenix(en route to SD) but there were strong cross currents gusting on the runway. We go in for the landing and one of those cross winds turns the fucking plane sideways like 70 degrees, my window seat let me have a great view of the runway coming in at the wrong angle and everyone started screaming as they noticed what was going on. One set of landing gear touched down the plane righted itself a little and the pilot gassed the shit out of it to get us back in the air. After that we circled back and came in again and landed but we had to switch planes because that landing gear had almost torn off on the bounce/landing attempt.

So we all almost died and most of the passengers took rental cars/buses to SD instead of hopping back on a plane.

I know the Mayberry is wholly comprised of cool, assertive gentlemen who, aside from never flying coach, certainly wouldn't suffer ruffled feathers over trivial incidents such as this. Nevertheless, try to relate as best you can, and cast forth your judgements.

I spent the last 2 days in Minneapolis for my sister's wedding, just returning early this afternoon. The return flight to Los Angeles was around 3.5 hours. Running on insufficient sleep from an eventful weekend, and mildly hungover, it was a pleasant little bit of luck that I was assigned a window seat wherein I could rest my head against the wall and not have to worry about moving out of the way for other passengers mid-flight.

It so happened that the passenger next to me was a kid of about 9 years of age, and his mother to the left of him. Directly across the aisle sat his father.
So sometime before take-off, I overheard this kid start telling his mom that he wanted to sit by the window, and what followed amid hushed whispers were two discernible words that sent a reverberating "FFFFFUUUUUU" through my brain. "Ask Him."

I tried to make myself unapproachable. I really did. Pretending to be asleep; don't-bother-me eyes; poor hearing; I tried them all, in that order. But this kid was persistent. When I politely declined to give up my seat, his mom who was tuned in to what was happening gave me a quick, unfriendly glare, and then turned to her husband, a yuppie-looking 30-something. A moment later he looks at me and says "C'mon, he's a kid, please let him have it." By this time I'm noticing more unfriendly glances directed my way from nearby passengers, and I'm feeling rather annoyed. "Look," I replied with forced frivolousness. "your kid is already going to enjoy this flight about 10 times more than I am. Why increase that disparity?" To which he just squinted his eyes at me and shook his head disparagingly, saying "That's some bizarre logic, man." Annoyed as I was, I took a more direct approach: "Sorry. This is my seat, so I'm going to sit here." And that was that.

lol, tough situation.

Not sure what I would have done if I was in your situation.

Would have been nice if the parents had planned out their flight a little better by asking their kid if he preferred a window seat or an aisle seat...might have prevented the awkward situation all together.

just curious?

Anyone else like taking the Aisle seat?

I love it, once that jet lands I'm grabbing my shit and bouncing out.

You need to watch the series; "Why Planes Crash".

Here's a sample;[YT]D3eVV53Sp8o[/YT]

Recently changed jobs from one where I flew every week to once-twice a year, so much happier, have always been scared of flying, usually had to drink to get on a plane.

Back