Crime Hasidic Jews fight with NYPD in Brooklyn after authorities try to fill in secret tunnels that they've been digging underground around their synagogue

I mean it's fine to add qualifiers but it just sounds pretty bad. Like it or not, religion is as protected a class as race or sexual orientation so when we start saying "I mean it's not ALL of them..." it's sounds...not great.

Again, not trying to trash you just an observation.
There are culturally driven beliefs and norms held by different groups, right? Are you saying we can’t recognize or criticize such norms with coming off as bigoted?

I mean it is what it is as far as what it sounds like. It's just what happened. And as far as a protected class, that's what we did. We treated those folks just like we did everybody else, meaning they were subject to following the laws everybody else had to.

I'm not trying to trash Hasidic Jews in general. I think stuff like this happens more often wherever you have ultra orthodox sects of any religion interacting with people outside of their community.

I used to live in South Central PA and interacted with Amish people regularly where I worked. Generally nice people, but man do they treat their animals like shit. Mainly just through neglect because religiously speaking they view them like tools. Now that view while pretty terrible (in my opinion) didn't directly break any laws. What did were all of the unlicensed, Amish run puppy mills that the area was notorious for. Their particular religious view of animals came into conflict with the law in that case.

I don't know the tenets of Hasidic Judaism well enough to know if that for sure was what was going on in my case. But I suspect there is something about taking orders about how to behave from outsiders is frowned upon, and resulted in more negative interactions with them.
Yeah I agree that if the tenets and behavior of a specific group (even a protected group) conflict with the law that's a different story.

There are culturally driven beliefs and norms held by different groups, right? Are you saying we can’t recognize or criticize such norms with coming off as bigoted?

I'm saying the standards sometimes vary about what sounds bigoted when phrases like "Well it's not all ________"
That phrase alone, no matter the context would be labeled bigoted about some protected classes. About others people seem fine to use it. That's all.

It was originally practiced for reduction of STDs.
LMAO.

Stoning adulterers was practiced for reduction of STDs.

Circumcision is a weird "sign of covenant" with their weird G-d...
It's literally called "covenant of circumcision".

That's abrahamic religions for y'all.

LMAO.

Stoning adulterers was practiced for reduction of STDs.

Circumcision is a weird "sign of covenant" with their weird G-d...
It's literally called "covenant of circumcision".

That's abrahamic religions for y'all.

Can't really compare stoning adulterers to it. There's studies suggesting it brings down transmission of some diseases (herpes) by as much as 45%. It makes keeping the region clean easier, meaning less infection.

Can't really compare stoning adulterers to it. There's studies suggesting it brings down transmission of some diseases (herpes) by as much as 45%. It makes keeping the region clean easier, meaning less infection.
Yeah, I've read those studies.
I'm not convinced, and I strongly question those researchers' methodology and motivation.

Good for them, fuck lockdowns, and anyone who supported them.

Uh, if there is any chance they were using these tunnels to attend service during lockdown; We need to build a fuck ton more.

Back