Social Hasan Piker has Ninja-Level Hype on Twitch Right Now

Hollywood Jack

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Consistent 150k+ concurrent viewers, over 46k subs and counting, MASS Twitch Prime subs spam, it reminds me of the Ninja hype. Never thought a political commentator would be getting this type of hype. Dude's made millions in 2020...

Trying to figure out how to watch coverage of the election results as they rolled in last night was, as it usually is, a chore. Hasan Piker's 16 hour marathon Twitch stream was the only one that approached politics from a perspective that makes any sense to me, and judging by the peak of 230,000 viewers he had last night, I'm not alone.

Piker, a traditional broadcast journalist turned video game streamer turned broadcast journalist again, has had quite a year. In 2019, Piker was still too controversial to make waves, despite his burgeoning popularity. After streaming Among Us with U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, the time of Piker getting suspended from Twitch for his political comments seems like a distant fantasy. Although AOC's stream peaked as the third most viewed stream on Twitch of all time, Piker brings in numbers that are nothing to sneeze at on his own. Last night Piker hopped on Twitch for a casual, sixteen hour election stream with rotating guests.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjp...ream-is-the-future-of-election-night-coverage

Last edited:
Just Chatting section(originally called IRL) needs to be deleted from Twitch.
tenor.gif

That dude is mostly a d bag but he’s kind of funny. Also he has bank and still lives in a shit apartment
Yeah, LOL. He's very much new money. I'm sure he'll get a nice place eventually... :)

I vaguely remember a thread about this guy saying America deserved 9/11.

This guy is a nobody who just happens to have won the boredom-click for the one day every four years that people who aren't political pay attention to politics. He averaged fewer than 15K viewers for his stream last month, in Twitch's most popular section, and that was in the month leading up to an election:
https://www.twitchmetrics.net/c/207813352-hasanabi

People log on to Twitch to watch the news?

What a strange world we live in.

People log on to Twitch to watch the news?

What a strange world we live in.

YouTube back in 2015(?) had a growing live streaming section that dealt with IRL streamers. To retain their live streaming viewership monopoly Twitch created their own IRL section. Which then eventually morphed into the Just Chatting section for their IRL streamers were getting into legal troubles.

This guy is a nobody who just happens to have won the boredom-click for the one day every four years that people who aren't political pay attention to politics. He averaged fewer than 15K viewers for his stream last month, in Twitch's most popular section, and that was in the month leading up to an election:
https://www.twitchmetrics.net/c/207813352-hasanabi
I don't even like the guy, believe it or not (there's a bit of a rift between the social democrat/populist types like Kyle Kulinski and Krystal Ball* and the far left types like Hasan and Vaush as well as their respective fans). But he's doing really well right now. He got a BIG bump from the AOC appearance which he set up. He's always at the top of Twitch lately. And even the 15k figure is top of the food chain for what he does. Other political commentators on Twitch like Bad Bunny get like 200-400 concurrent viewers and have to beg people (or scream at/shame people in her case) for subs and shit. Hasan's doing like Pokimane type numbers now.

*Vaush went so far as to say "Krystal Ball is a fucking Nazi!"

Kulinksi and Ball are also airheaded far-leftists. I don't know anything about these other guys, so I'll just assume they're the even dumber, more extreme versions that appeal to the ignorant tweener Twitch crowd based on what you said. There are always levels.

I'm usually someone who finds myself defending the gaming community, but if we approach this soberly, Twitch's general base of viewers are the least likely to be employed, the least likely to be informed, the least likely to be involved with government, and the least likely to have deep real-life social networks. Twitch's core are kids who sit around spamming scroll-walls that wheel by so fast even speed-readers can't keep up, and who throw away their allowance money on the prayer it will buy someone's attention for five seconds.

Politicians will keep their fingers on the pulse because they always wants to know what's trending with youths, but they are concerned only with pandering to win votes, here. This crowd brings nothing else to the table. They're the least capable of martialing a meaningful support network of just about any American consumer base in existence.

Back