Has there ever been another great fighter like Weidman who only loses in devastating fashion.

GSP
Obviously didn't lose too often but his 2 losses are highlight reel finishes

Nice strawman, that wasn't my rationale at all. I never suggested that going 1-8 had anything to do with Silva's prime.

I called the Weidman fight the tail end of Silva's prime, but I made a clear distinction between the end of his prime in 2012/13 and the end of his career in 2020. You said that the Weidman fight was the tail end of Silva's career, which isn't true. Silva fought almost a quarter of his career after the first Weidman bout.
LOL Nice try, kid.
You mentioned SIlva still has 1/3 of his career left... you only left out that those were almost all losses.

LOL Nice try, kid.
You mentioned SIlva still has 1/3 of his career left... you only left out that those were almost all losses.

Wins or losses is irrelevant to my simple point, which has unsurprisingly eluded you.

LEAST spectacular has to be Yoel. Can’t think of anyone who’s lost so many close decisions in such a short amount of time

Weidman, Luke, Chuck, Randy, Vitor, etc are/were guys who are frontrunners in fights. Their game revolves around implementing their game and are not guys who are going to stage many comebacks in fights in which they are getting their asses kicked.

It sorta seems to be the case with wrestling based fighters. Either their wrestling works as they want it to (whether that means getting takedowns or otherwise controlling where the fight takes place) or it's gonna be a tough night for them.

Well put.

There are a lot of guys who are either the hammer or the nail. Mir- such a offensively potent finisher but his losses would often be by absolute brutality, too. There are exceptions, sure, like the uneventful decision loss to AA but look at some of his most noteworthy losses- Pe De Pano, Vera, Lesnar, Carwin.

Oliveira has improved leaps and bounds and has an awesome story, becoming the LW champ. But he’s another guy who tends to either dominate or get shellacked. I think he turned a corner several years ago and seems far more composed and able to implement all his skills effectively but, in his early career, he was a tremendous finisher who also had a tendency to get put away when someone blitzed him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back