Has there ever been another great fighter like Weidman who only loses in devastating fashion.

Winning the belt from one of the greatest fighters ever and successfully defending it 3 times makes you great in this sport dude, come on.
No, it doesn't if you check who he fought and when. (Context matter)
I am not saying he was a can, but definitely not great.

Last edited:
SeriousWholeAegeancat-size_restricted.gif

_fyIUE.gif

giphy.gif
<{1-8}> Oh no... <45>
I shouldn't laugh :D :D:D

Weidman, Luke, Chuck, Randy, Vitor, etc are/were guys who are frontrunners in fights. Their game revolves around implementing their game and are not guys who are going to stage many comebacks in fights in which they are getting their asses kicked.

It sorta seems to be the case with wrestling based fighters. Either their wrestling works as they want it to (whether that means getting takedowns or otherwise controlling where the fight takes place) or it's gonna be a tough night for them.

Ben Askren.

Even gets highlight reel KO'ed in bullshit victories.

Overeem is the real answer though. Been a top fighter for a decade and a half and has been KTFO'ed like over a dozen times.

Reem definitely, he's a warrior though he goes out on his shield by getting KTFO or KTFO his opponent, that's why I'll always be a fan.

WAR REEM!

No, it doesn't if you check who he fought and when. (Context matter)
I am not saying he was a can, but definitely not great.

Machida was washed when he fought him? And you can do this with every fighter, btw. Not remotely hard or challenging.

I don't think Weidman was ever great.
The Chris has the second longest MW title reign in MMA history (both UFC and PRIDE), only behind Anderson Silva. The Chris also has the second most MW title defenses in MMA history (both UFC and PRIDE), only behind Anderson Silva.

If the second most accomplished MW ever was never great than nobody is.

Last edited:
Machida was washed when he fought him? And you can do this with every fighter, btw. Not remotely hard or challenging.
Not saying he was washed up, but he was certainly not at the top of his game.
Neither was Vitor nor Silva.
And no, I am not saying either of them were a gimme, but it is fairly obvious they were not at their best... you just need to look at the point in time and how their careers proceeded.

The Chris has the second longest MW title reign in MMA history (both UFC and PRIDE), only behind Anderson Silva. The Chris also has the second most MW title defenses in MMA history (both UFC and PRIDE), only behind Anderson Silva.

If the second most accomplished MW ever was never great than nobody is.
Dude, he had 3 title defenses.
2 if you discount SIlva's due to being an injury.

And they were over a Machida who was still fresh moving down and Vitor (post TRT).

Again, I am not claiming he is crap. He is definitely a good fighter. I just don't think he is/was elite.

Dude, he had 3 title defenses
4 titles at MW is the second most in MMA history. That's just a statement of fact.
Anderson and Weidman fought for a total of 12 and a half minutes in the cage between two bouts and in that time frame Silva was almost knocked out on two separate occasions, was legitimately knocked out once, barely escaped a kneebar, and had his leg broken. At literally no point in those 12 and a half minutes was Anderson ever winning, or was even remotely competitive with Weidman. 15 minutes is the normal length of time for a fight. If those two fights were the same fight, and Anderson had somehow survived, Weidman would've won a clear decision with one or two 10-8 rounds thrown in there for either a 30-26 or 30-25 victory for Weidman.
And they were over a Machida who was still fresh moving down and Vitor (post TRT).
Weidman - 4 championship titles
#1 fighters defeated (1):

Silva - ranked #1
Top 5 fighters defeated (4):
Belfort - ranked #3
Machida - ranked #5
Silva - ranked #2
Munoz - ranked #3
Top 10 fighters defeated (1):
Maia - ranked #6

That is six #6 ranked fighters defeated in a row. It's one of the greatest runs in MMA history.
Again, I am not claiming he is crap. He is definitely a good fighter. I just don't think he is/was elite.
I feel bad for you son. Anderson fanatics still haven't gotten over it 8 years later.

Do you discount Conor’s last loss due to it being an injury?

A guy who had 3 defenses isn't elite ? Come on dude based on that logic Anderson Silva is the only elite middleweight to exist.

Evangelista Santos
Scott Smith

Oh wait.. great fighters.

Back