• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has the UFC gone almost full WWE now?

If I have to read another poster comparing WWE to the UFC I'm going to stroke out. Using weird terms like "kayfabe' that I have to look up just to see what the fuck they're talking about. It's not even the wordplay though, asking if every fucking thing is a "work"...Whhyyyy!??

Reactions: HHJ
Its always had a pretty big pro wrestling element. The UFCs initial boom in the 00s was at least in part down to them inheriting a lot of the 90s/early 00s era wrestling fans who were getting into college age. I get that theres a lot of trash talk etc now but the overall presentation is actually less pro wrestling than it was in the 00s. They used to have pyro and entrance ramps and name the cards like they were wrestling PPVs etc.

But their slogan was 'as real as it gets' - which meant 'we are not WWE.'

Even when they were making use of pro-wrestling theatrics, they also tried to distance themselves from it in other ways.

It's just a lazy talking point people use when they say 'it's always been like WWE', when as you point out, we have had periods of more pro-wrestling influence and periods of less.

It's obviously going to get much worse now that it's literally the same company as WWE.

Yet another reason to switch to PFL.

You are right. The question is, has it become so 'worked' that maybe even Strickland was in on it? The camera angle was setup just right, and even those little downward taps he was doing were like those 'punches' standing on the top turnbuckle by Randy Savage.

Tell me that these two scenes don't look uncannily similar...too similar.

I love chucks reaction during this whole thing <HisEye>

Most of the discussion these days seems to be about "so and so said this in an interview"..
"So and so posted this on social media and he responded"..."This happened in the prefight press conference"..."This brawl happened".
Less and less discussion seems to be about the actual fights these days.

And to think that at one time Vince Mcmahon could have bought the UFC at a cheap price but declined. He never knew that social media would arise so we get our 'promos' all the time now through multiple outlets, the only difference is the fights are unscripted.

Way too much WWF in my UFC tbh sir.

AT least Vince does not force trans beer down sheep's throats like Dana does!

Yea why can't it be more like pride with grand entrances and the fighters had so much personality.
Yeah they should def have elaborate fireworks and pyro next time Beniel Dariush makes the walk to the ring. No question.

Back