Has the defending champion ever missed weight, then lost?

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
There are several examples where the challenger comes in over the limit and is therefore not eligible to win the belt even if he wins the fight, that part is pretty easy to understand.

We also had the case of Charles Oliveira vs Justin Gaethje where the champ missed weight but still won so the challenger had no claim to the title anyway.

But what would happen if say Makhachev missed weight, and Volk beat him? I'm guessing only the guy who made weight would be eligible to take the title if he won, is this right?

I think that would be the no brainer response, I just saw someone mention on another thread that if Islam can't make weight then the belt is not on the line, but that doesn't seem logical.

Oliveira vs. Gaethje is the only time a champion has missed weight. But yes, if the champion misses weight and losses, the challenger becomes champion. If the champ misses and wins the title is vacant.

I can never remember a UFC champion missing weight and then losing,. The only other thing that comes to my mind is Paulo Filho when he missed weight a few times as champion but that was in WEC. WEC just made it a non title fight, Sonnen was fuming as well. Sonnen should have been the WEC MW champ, the whole thing was ridiculous

There are several examples where the challenger comes in over the limit and is therefore not eligible to win the belt even if he wins the fight, that part is pretty easy to understand.

We also had the case of Charles Oliveira vs Justin Gaethje where the champ missed weight but still won so the challenger had no claim to the title anyway.

But what would happen if say Makhachev missed weight, and Volk beat him? I'm guessing only the guy who made weight would be eligible to take the title if he won, is this right?

I think that would be the no brainer response, I just saw someone mention on another thread that if Islam can't make weight then the belt is not on the line, but that doesn't seem logical.
What they did with Oli/Gaethje was they stripped Charles so they could make it a vacant title fight. That meant the title doesn't belong to anyone and the guy who made weight can win the title on fight day, if Gaethje won that night he would of been champion.
Another example is Holloway/Pettis for the interim title, Pettis missed weight but since the belt didn't belong to anyone heading into the fight Holloway could still win it.

If Islam missed weight, they'd strip him and make it vacant similar to Oli/Gaethje.
That would make Volk eligible to win the title.

Back